Water drought, need to clean truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water drought, need to clean truck

We've had a water drought here in NC for months and I'm not able to wash my truck. For years, I've washed it at least once a week religiously so the water ban is killing me.

Is it OK to just use Meguiars Detailing spray to wipe off the outside grime on the truck? I don't want to cause any scratches, but don't know what else to do to clean the outside.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 AM
I have used this product for years. It is an awesome product. You can use it on a dirty car. Cleans and waxes at the same time. No swirls and you can also use it on windows like rain-x.

http://www.waterlesscarwashproducts.com/sc/store.php

Old 12-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by cscoios
We've had a water drought here in NC for months and I'm not able to wash my truck. For years, I've washed it at least once a week religiously so the water ban is killing me.

Is it OK to just use Meguiars Detailing spray to wipe off the outside grime on the truck? I don't want to cause any scratches, but don't know what else to do to clean the outside.
This topic was talked about in great length not long ago, if you search this section you will see good info in there.

I don't know the product the other poster suggested, however I can tell you that ONR (Optimum No Rinse Wash) is pretty darn good. But you have to be smart, you cannot go out in the fields then come home and wash with ONR and not expect scratches.

If your truck is more dirty the dusty....a QD is not the way to go.

here is the other thread
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=308777

Can you still use DIY car washes?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Another recommendation for Optimum No Rinse. This product is becoming so popular especially with the drought. This is my main wash method in my detailing business. Usually if a vehicle is too dirty I spray the mud first and then go to the ONR. You can just use one bucket with it or you can use the 2 bucket method if you are worried about scratches. With the 2 bucket method just have one bucket for your rinse water and another bucket for your solution. Each time you do a panel rinse out your mitt in the rinse water really well. Your solution bucket should not look dirty at all.

So basically take a mitt and wash a panel and then dry off right away with a microfiber towel. If a vehicle is real dirty you might have to make a couple of passes on the same panel so you don't induce any marring. Your microfiber that you are drying with should not look dirty at all if you are using the ONR correctly.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Its more dirty than dusty. I'll have to give the ONR a shot. I didn't want to use DIY car washes because I've heard they are very caustic (sp?) and will remove your wax job. I wax several times a year and didn't want to remove that protective wax layer.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Another vote for ONR. Great stuff. I wash my truck with it every week. I've read good things about Chemical Guy's ONE Waterless Car Wash but I haven't tried it.
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Waterles..._p/wac_100.htm

Old 12-05-2007, 10:38 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
DIY's are safe if you set it to "rinse" and do not use their brushes. It's fine for simply blasting the heavy crap off.

Then you can use ONR or similar product, and if you are really worried about your wax, hit it with a quick spray wax. That shouldn't take any longer or require more effort than using a QD.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 PM
i have neve experienced a water ban but im wondering.can you go to the grocery store and buy a bunch of drinking water to wash and rinse your truck?or are car washes open?it may seem stupid but like i said i have never experienced this.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by italiano
i have neve experienced a water ban but im wondering.can you go to the grocery store and buy a bunch of drinking water to wash and rinse your truck?or are car washes open?it may seem stupid but like i said i have never experienced this.
good god, that would be an expensive wash job!

Quick Reply: Water drought, need to clean truck