Opinion on best wax for red truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alright guys... back on topic please... I'll c&p all the OT posts down in a thread in GD!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Alright guys... back on topic please... I'll c&p all the OT posts down in a thread in GD!
Well in that case:

My favorite for a candy apple red is to do only a sealant. I like the way that looks. But if it has ANY flake, or if it is at all darker than bright racing red, than it gets to be topped with either #26, Nattys Red, or some other fancy carnauba.

FWIW-- even Fire truck red gets #26... So think of Ricer Red for sealant only-- or the red of Chevy Cavaliers... Am I making any sense at all???

Just my 2 cents

Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright guys... back on topic please...

I agree and since there are so many of you detail techs here why dont you guys help me out.

I have the whole day off friday and i want a nice detail on the truck.
I have a few light scratches and maybe two deep scratches from the local neighborhood cats on my tailgate.

I have True blue metallic over silver. I usually wash and use meguires gold class wax but i want to go a little deeper this time. Also im not looking for a full treatment quite yet just something to get the light swirls out and give it a nice glowy gloss.
I can get a polisher if needed but i was going to dedicate the day to it anyway, so hand buffing is fine with me.

What steps/procucts do you guys recommend and in which order?
I have to pick up some MF cloths so give me a list!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Fabian06SC
I agree and since there are so many of you detail techs here why dont you guys help me out.

I have a few light scratches and maybe two deep scratches from the local neighborhood cats on my tailgate.

I have True blue metallic over silver. I usually wash and use meguires gold class wax but i want to go a little deeper this time. Also im not looking for a full treatment quite yet just something to get the light swirls out and give it a nice glowy gloss.
I can get a polisher if needed but i was going to dedicate the day to it anyway, so hand buffing is fine with me.

Check your email in about 3 minutes...The sticky that we are awaiting is about to be in your inbox.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I recommend you shoot the cats.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
What??? I know their blood is great for a clay lube, but their paws could scratch!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Inside joke... you had to be at the BBQ place where Zaair and I ate once to understand...
Yeah I know what you mean, lets stay on topic RP

Not sure where to start, what do have right now?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:06 AM

Wash, clay, scratch x, #80 (Speed Glaze), #7 (Show Car Glaze), and #26 (High Tech Yellow).

Old 08-23-2007, 08:53 AM

by polisher, do you mean a Porter Cable, a Rotary, or one of those 10" waxman buffers?

and my current favorite on Red??

Tropi-care TC-3, topped with Meg's #16 and finished with FK 425

Old 08-23-2007, 02:01 PM

I agree, but the local chinese food buffet place said they already have enough cat. I wouldnt know what to do with the little dead corps... haha

No seriously though, next time i see them out and about they are getting at least a high powered air gun shot to the ***...

Originally Posted by Rolling Rock
Not sure where to start, what do have right now?
I have plenty of equipment to do it. I just need some MF cloths. by supplies i mainly meant what products.

Wash, clay, scratch x, #80 (Speed Glaze), #7 (Show Car Glaze), and #26 (High Tech Yellow).
Thank you, i was going to clay bar it but wasnt sure what to use and in what order after that. That sounds like what im going to do.

And Gipraw, i have a Dewalt variable speed sander/grinder with an adapter for wax/polish pads on it. I have a thick wool pad now but was planning on getting a smoother pad for it. It does 1500-4500 RPMs i believe.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Throw the cats in the trash can. And the wool pad is for use on reaaaaaaally tough scratches. I won't use one, cause I'm scared of the damage it can do. Which reminds me, RP, bring your wool pad.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:44 PM

And Gipraw, i have a Dewalt variable speed sander/grinder with an adapter for wax/polish pads on it. I have a thick wool pad now but was planning on getting a smoother pad for it. It does 1500-4500 RPMs i believe.
Oh boy, if you haven't used that before, man.... you can really do some damange with that thing.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 PM

no ive used them before.
the wool pad was used to get some industrial paint overspray off the 17yr old work truck. The truck is black and it had aluminum overspray all over it. I used that to cut all the overspay off, then did a hand polish and wax on it. Ill be damned if it didnt make that old truck shine like new.
I would never dream of using it on my new truck though, and i really want to use better products.
Besides like i said, i have all day. I get more satisfaction out of it when i do it by hand.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
<snip>
Tropi-care TC-3, ...<snip>
Thanks to JP (AKA: RollingRock), I have a sample size of this (and many others...Thanks again, JP)....Any advice? I am looking forward to using it.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Thanks to JP (AKA: RollingRock), I have a sample size of this (and many others...Thanks again, JP)....Any advice? I am looking forward to using it.

thin, thin, thin

I find 3.5 to 4 works best with a PC ..

Quick Reply: Opinion on best wax for red truck