F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Care & Detailing (https://www.f150online.com/forums/care-detailing-22/)
-   -   How to remove wax from black trim? Help!!! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/care-detailing/287827-how-remove-wax-black-trim-help.html)

masonm75 05-29-2007 08:25 AM

How to remove wax from black trim? Help!!!

I waxed my supercrew and got a little wax on the trim for the bed and tailgate. Now I have white marks and wanted to know the best way to get rid of them. I used Turtle Wax Platinum... Thanks...

goldmember 05-29-2007 10:10 AM

I've read that peanut butter works.

cookdawg06 05-29-2007 05:02 PM

get a pink eraser. an eraser for a pencil. its quicker with the rectangle ones but im sure the little round ones on the ends of a pencil works as well.:thumbsup:

BlueOvalFitter 05-29-2007 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by goldmember
I've read that peanut butter works.

And some Smuckers jam and bread you are just missing the milk! :lol:

I use Windex. :fyi:

LRG 05-30-2007 12:55 PM

I've had good results using Megs #40, takes it right off for me, plus you've just detailed the trim when you're done. Win/win!

Req 05-30-2007 01:26 PM

This is an easy one.

I use a toothbrush with a very small amount of water. Works every time.

This is an ongoing problem to apply waxes/polish near trim. To avoid most of this I use straight edge pieces of metal, with the edge blunted with duct tape. I place the blunted metal edge in the groove where the trim meets the paint, then apply the wax/polish in approx a 3" area the length of the vehicle section being worked on. The metal is easily purchased from hardware stores as household flashing.

rustyzipper 05-30-2007 02:06 PM

I place the blunted metal edge in the groove where the trim meets the paint

Very cool idea Req. Very cool. I like it.

Gipraw 05-30-2007 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Req
This is an easy one.

I use a toothbrush with a very small amount of water. Works every time.

This is an ongoing problem to apply waxes/polish near trim. To avoid most of this I use straight edge pieces of metal, with the edge blunted with duct tape. I place the blunted metal edge in the groove where the trim meets the paint, then apply the wax/polish in approx a 3" area the length of the vehicle section being worked on. The metal is easily purchased from hardware stores as household flashing.

I do the same thing with a painters edge, covered in tape ..

Heith 05-30-2007 09:05 PM

I use mothers back to black you can get it any walmart, or auto parts store. The best way to use it is apply it to black plastic before you wax and the wax will not stick. But if you happen to get it on your plastic from previous waxings use it with a bit of pressure and it will work it out.

Heith

cookdawg06 05-31-2007 10:51 PM

id beware of the back to black. although i have never used it, i have heard bad reviews from the big guns on here. i.e. rockpick, gipraw, and rollingrock and more. Basically it works good at first then forms a milky residue. You can search it if you'd like.....:fyi:

rustyzipper 06-01-2007 01:27 AM

Where's the ole spit on the end of the finger trick? :drool: