Cleaning White Letter tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used an SOS pad and it worked awesome..cheap too

Old 02-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Cleaning White Letter Tires

After seeing the Hot Tires - Tire Paint Stick mentioned on here, I decided to try it out. Well, it was a waste of about $9 in my opinion. When I was in High School in the early 80's, I used a tire crayon that worked great but I haven't been able to find it again until now.

Today I bought a "White Tire Crayon" from Redline Automotive here in Hawaii that is weatherproof and waterproof and very similar to what I used in High School. I used it today and it worked great! It only cost about $2 and it goes on about 10 times faster than the Hot Tires - Tire Paint Stick.

The back of the package reads: Permanent, weatherproof and waterproof white paint crayon. Marks easily on oily or wet, slick or coarse, dry or cold surfaces. Paint tire lettering and side-wall accents bright white. Mark equipment and materials. DIRECTIONS: Scrape film from tip before using. Allow marks to dry, like paint. Contains no lead or zinc compounds.

My tires look new again!

Bill

Old 02-20-2007, 02:41 PM
SOS or brillo pads are the easiest and cheapest way to clean white letters in my opinion.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 PM
greased lightning degreaser with a stiff PLASTIC bristle brush

Old 02-26-2007, 06:56 PM
SOS here ....... just gotten remember to rinse the tire really well

Old 03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rustyzipper
This is the new hot trend for tires. The reviews are great. I'm gonna try it myself.

Duplicolor Hot Tires - Tire Paint Stick - White

Product Description
Whether your tires are old or new, Hot Tires gives you a way to add color, revive or personalize your muscle car, truck or sport compact car tires! You can touch-up faded white walls, tattoo your high performance tires to match your car or create a stock car look with yellow lettering. You can even stencil your sidewalls or color in your tires grooves. It goes on smooth, dries fast and resists fading. The Hot Tires paint pen is easy to use, so go ahead and get creative with your tires today.
no oil pens for me man!!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Purple Power Degreaser and a stiff tire brush

Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Since I originated this thread, I wanted to circle back and thank everyone for offering up thier advice and solutions.

My white letters were yellowed and no matter what I did, they would not come clean. For everyone's information, I tried almost all of your solutions, all but the tire Pen's, the metal brush, and filing the white walls down. In the end, using Gasoline, followed by wesley's bleach white with a bristle brush did the trick....after months of horrid looking tires, I now have WHITE letters !

I guess that a brownish film covered the letters and the Gasoline acted to break it down. Nothing else would penetrate it.

Thanks again to everyone who helped advise me !

Sincerely,

BlackMax

Old 03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
I have always used Westley's to get the lettering on the tires to look white.

Good Luck

Old 03-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
This is the new hot trend for tires. The reviews are great. I'm gonna try it myself.

Duplicolor Hot Tires - Tire Paint Stick - White

Product Description
Whether your tires are old or new, Hot Tires gives you a way to add color, revive or personalize your muscle car, truck or sport compact car tires! You can touch-up faded white walls, tattoo your high performance tires to match your car or create a stock car look with yellow lettering. You can even stencil your sidewalls or color in your tires grooves. It goes on smooth, dries fast and resists fading. The Hot Tires paint pen is easy to use, so go ahead and get creative with your tires today.
actually vim works wonders on the tires to

Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Simple Green!!!

On a old thread someone mention just using "Simple Green" and a stiff brush... Last night I pretreated the tires, let stand for about 5 minutes, "easily" scrubed with hot water and brush, rinsed, and now have tires that look better than the day I bought them.

Quick Reply: Cleaning White Letter tires