Cleaning White Letter tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Simple Green Auto and a bucket of warm water and a microfiber towel and tire brush.

Works like a charm everytime!!

Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 AM
White Letter help

Just my 2 cents worth. Afriend of mine who owns several car washes in the area said he used a rag dampened with a little gasoline to wipe the letters down and this gets them clean. He then scrubs with a lot of water, 409 and a soft bristle brush to remove the dirt and gas residue from the tires. he then uses a tire shine product such as Wet Tire or any other. he does not use much gasoline on the rag. Just enough to dampen the rag. He demonstarted on my truck and the white letters popped bright white. Just a suggestion

Old 01-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Try using a fine file and scrape the yellow off. The white liner that is showing is deep. It will not hurt to scrape a lit of the top off. The problem may be that the white stock is actually a little yellow from when the rubber was milled. hopefully scraping the top layer a bit will solve the problem. If this does not work that means the white stock has a little tint to it from when it was made. I hope this helps. If all else fails try this.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:45 AM
wesleys bleach white, you can buy it any where, just have caution has a very strong bleach odor but as soon as you spray it you'll see dirt and grime start dripping down immidiately also use a brush for best results if they are really dirty

Old 01-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Simple Green works really well. I don't dillute it though. I just spray it on and use a tile grout brush.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Cleaning White Letter Tires

Spray 9 and scrub brush. Spray tires when I start to wash the body and again when I start to clean the tires. Because of the brake dust problem, I will need to spray, scrub, rinse 2 - 3 times but they do come white. Would put in a picture but this is my 1st post and don't know how

Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I have always used comet or ajax wit really good results. If that doesnt work then I would try an SOS pad.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:29 PM
You could also use a small wire brush with these cleaners that have been reccomended.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I use this crazy stuff intended for RVs.

It's called RV Bug/Tar remover. It comes in a spray bottle just like Windex. It's like $6 at your local trailer/RV store, but it literally melts the dirt off of white letters. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two, scrub it down, and rinse. You will be absolutely AMAZED with the difference, I was.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I use the engine/wheel & tire cleaner at the coin-op car wash.

Spray it on at the beginning of the wash, and then wash the truck. I may even use some of that spray for some tough road grime on the rocker panels and fenders (just go right into soap though if you spray it on the painted or chromed parts!! don't let it dry on the paint)...

Let the tire cleaner "dry" on the wheels and tires... in other words don't rinse them off with soap or water just yet.

Then, just before I'm done with the brush (if I used it), I switch back to the tire cleaner, re-wet the tires with it, then grab the now no-longer-soaping brush, and give it a couple of swirls around... Then switch to high pressure rinse. Then go into the clear coat protector and wax process for the body...

If that first round doesn't do it, I may apply a little more of the tire cleaner spray, let it sit a minute (while I'm waxing the painted parts as mentioned above), then go again with the high pressure.

The key to this working is to wash your truck regularly enough that you don't have different color front wheels from brake dust ()... and always follow that routine.

Any time I've ever had white walls in the past, I would experiment with a lot of stuff... but some of the stuff sold to do that job didn't hold a candle to some Dow "Scrubbing Bubbles" Bathroom cleaner, or even some toothpaste on an old toothbrush.

Just stay away from a wire brush... use stiff, yet softer than wire, plastic bristles.

Last edited by IROC it; 02-12-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Eagle-1 all wheel cleaner in the orange bottle and a stiff brush

Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 AM
I use simple green full strength also.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pinkstuf Rules

I've been using Pinkstuff for about 15 years.I like it better than Simple Green,it smells better and IMO works better.It works great on white letter tires,wheels,interior,engines,plastic trim,pretty much everything.It's made locally in Scarborough Maine and I've only seen it for sale at auto part stores in Maine and New Hampshire. Not to be confused with the purple junk,this stuff is way better.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:41 PM
I have used Westley's WW cleaner for yr's now spray it on let it set for 5 min.or so take a brass wire brush and scrub with a bucket of water,if that doesn't do it repeat step.btw at times i had a neighbor's dog help mess up my WL's by hiking up his leg and we all know how that is on WW and WL's.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:26 AM
I've used SOS pads for years. Works great.

Quick Reply: Cleaning White Letter tires