Longest lasting wax

Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longest lasting wax

I've been using Zymol on my truck and was wondering if there was another wax that was longer lasting. I have no real complaints about the Zymol, just kinda curious if there is something better.

Also, what are the pros and cons of synthetic vs. carnuba wax?

Thanks

Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Generally speaking (but not always), synthetic waxes provide more protection than natural waxes like carnauba. (Not sure what your Zymol is)

Old 08-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Zymol is a carnauba blend I believe...

Also, I'll add that environmental conditions and a vast array of other factors will influence how long (or short) your wax or sealant lasts on the surface. There's no 'perfect product' unfortunately...

RP

Old 08-16-2005, 01:10 PM
OK. So what's a good synthetic to try?

Old 08-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My two favorites are Poorboy's EX-P and Klasse Sealant Glaze.

I get by far way more durability out of Klasse Sealant Glaze but EX-P is just so easy to apply that doing it a littlte more often really isn't that big of a deal. It's one of the easiest waxes to buff off that I've ever tried.

Klasse Sealant Glaze is good if you want to layer on multiple coats but it takes a lot more work.

Zaino is pretty popular but the initial steps require a good bit of work but it seems to have really good durability.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Can EX-P not be layered as well? I am looking into some Poorboys products, but don't want to waste my time layering something if I'm just removing the previous coat each time.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Colunite wax(sp) Its a auto/marine wax. Kinda hard take off but well worth the 3 plus months of shine.Plus I only wash with just water and that makes it last even longer

Old 08-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by rta108
Can EX-P not be layered as well? I am looking into some Poorboys products, but don't want to waste my time layering something if I'm just removing the previous coat each time.
It can be layered but I usually just do two coats and stop. The reason why I go more with Klasse SG is that you can notice a difference between the coats.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Insulator wax

My favorite wax is Collinites Insulator wax. It applies like an oily-type so it takes little to no effort. when removing it there is absolutely NO dust, which is a big plus. Also since it doesn't dry white if ya get it on the moldin or something it's not mess As far as shine I think it gives a pretty deep shine. I use a cyclo dual head polisher to remove it and of course that helps with the shine also. one coat and you'll definately be amazed how the water runs off it. It was recommended to me by a older guy that has used it for a long time, he drives a spot free 1985 Dodge Omni, and I live in the north east, land of salt and snow. Also I've had one bottle for about 2 1/2 yrs, a little goes a long way

Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Liquid Glass is good for 6 months and is in my book the only one I'll ever use.
Note all carnauba's will yellow so stay away rome them. Also, I have to throw this in...I read a post on a different forum whaer the guy said he took 0.5 seconds off his 1/4 mile time by waxing his truck reduceing wind friction!!

Last edited by fmdog44; 08-22-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long a "wax" lasts is influenced by many things - not the least of which being what product you use. Other variables include whether or not your truck actually leaves the garage, what you wash it with, temperature, etc.

With the synthetic products, they're really not as much of a "wax" as a "sealant." All things being equal, the synthetics will last longer, but they too can be removed with a harsh detergent - like that used by most car washes. There are some pretty good synthetics out there. I prefer Zaino and NXT myself, but it's pretty much personal preference.

As for products that last longer than about 2-3 months - I get pretty skeptical. If you drive (and wash) your truck very much, the environment is just too tough for even the best stuff to last very long. So how do certain products advertise that they "still bead water after 3,000 automatic car washes?" Most car washes apply a cheap "spray wax" as the last step of the process. You could take a truck into one of those bad boys that hadn't ever been waxed, and it would bead water coming out.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very well put 2stroked...

Also, not true on carnauba based waxes 'yellowing' the finish. If they did, why would every major manufacturer of wax and polish have such a product?

Old 08-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Very well put 2stroked...

Also, not true on carnauba based waxes 'yellowing' the finish. If they did, why would every major manufacturer of wax and polish have such a product?
Sorry, but it is true. To avoid the yellowing effect the wax must be removed thoroughly about every two months. Keep in mind I'm not saying it yellows overnight but over a period of 2-3 years carnauba yellows if it is allowed to build.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fmdog44,

Wihout starting a fight here, you might want to consider who (RockPick) you're dissing here. RP has more experience with detailing than the next 30 people I know. I believe he's speaking the truth here - once again. Of course I'll also defend your right to express your opionions here.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by fmdog44
Sorry, but it is true. To avoid the yellowing effect the wax must be removed thoroughly about every two months. Keep in mind I'm not saying it yellows overnight but over a period of 2-3 years carnauba yellows if it is allowed to build.
umm... I've heard of this ONLY when people have layered on many many layers of the stuff.

Under normal life, it'll get worn off the paint finish quick especially during the summer heat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Longest lasting wax