What is the best way to repair rust above fender/wheel wells?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best way to repair rust above fender/wheel wells?

I have a rust problem above one of the rear fender/wheel wells. It is through the top layer of metal and seems to be starting through the second layer. We had some body work done on the truck and they repaired the rust on the other side in the same spot. I'm not sure what they did, if they put new sheet metal in or just put body filler there. I have the stuff to do metal work and most body work, i just need to know what i should do. I would like to put new metal in there, but am not sure how i should approach this. Where can i get a piece of metal that is just a small part of the rear panel just above the wheel well? Would they sell them at a salvage yard? I don't want/need a whole new panel or anything, i just would like to get some feed back on how anyone else has fixed this problem. I am only 16, but have pretty good knowledge of metal working and auto mechanics. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:05 PM
I know the junk yards around here have a problem with me doing that, so I would say that you probably can't get away with either. I think you probably will end up going with a new panel anyways.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 PM

Quick Reply: What is the best way to repair rust above fender/wheel wells?