Drive Thru Wash/Wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive Thru Wash/Wax

judging from what i've been reading in this section, i may be committing heresy, but is there a drive-thru system that is considered better than others?

Old 09-24-2004, 10:02 PM
tsc
If I had to go thru a truck wash, I would go through a touch free one. These places are out to make money, so how often are the "soft cloths" or brushes cleaned?

I am personally weary of the auto car washes, since the soap must be pretty strong to get the grime off. If it does that to the dirt, what is it doing to your wax and clear coat?

Old 09-28-2004, 08:04 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use the no-touch high spressure automtics in the winter. Those soft clothes are fine, but you are wwiping the dirt from every other vehicle that has been through before you on your paint. I've always see scratches in my paint after I have used soft cloth washes on the vehicles I don't care so much about.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As for "drive thru" car washes, I would vote for the "touchless' variety over anything with brushes due to the inevitable damage from the brushes. I have this interesting theory / concern about touchless though. The detergent they use is so strong that it actually removes almost any type of wax as you go through. So all that #26, Zaino, Collonite, etc. that you so lovingly put on gets washed right off. Sure, it looks like the finish still beads water as you drive out, but it appears to be only the cheapo spray wax they apply just before the rinse. So, did I just get a clean truck - with no protection?

Personally, I prefer hand washing with a hose at home. In the winter months, I go to the $2.00 high pressure "you spray it" wash and just use the rinse cycle. I bring my own sponge and Zaino wash in a bucket. (Yea, you don't want me in front of you.) Hope that helps!

Old 09-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Just wash it yourself.

Thank god it doesn't get cold enough here in florida where I can't wash my truck during winter time.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:19 PM
thanks for the feedback.... this new '04 deserves all the tlc in the world, but it sure is nice to let the drive-thru make it pretty in about 10 minutes.... plus, there's this real pretty cashier there...

Old 09-29-2004, 07:25 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ostuni
...let the drive-thru make it pretty in about 10 minutes....
What may be pretty to you looks like crap to me as the paint get more and more dull and scratched. Short term satisfaction vs. long term perfection. Your choice.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by APT
What may be pretty to you looks like crap to me as the paint get more and more dull and scratched. Short term satisfaction vs. long term perfection. Your choice.
I think APT summed it up perfect - I would rather drive around with a dirty truck for a week or two, wait until I could hand wash it, than go thru a drive-thru car wash. The first time its sunny out and you see those light scratch / swirl marks from the drive thru car wash, my bet is you would think the same..............but by then, its too late.

If you get sap or a bird dropping, do a spot clean by hand. But for the life of me, I'd never take any auto I own thru a drive thru. Did it with a black Mustang once about 11 years ago - never again. I learned my lesson.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey Now

Lifegaurdjoe

God is always worthy of a capital "G ".

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=6959

Old 10-01-2004, 01:39 PM
If your truck has anything more than a little dust on it, the touchless/high pressure car washes are nothing but a waste of money.

Quick Reply: Drive Thru Wash/Wax