Question about wheel cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about wheel cleaner

I have break dust that ive been trying to get off. Ive used the Eagle One A2Z and either A.) it was water or B.) I didnt follow the directions. So I ran up a search on Meguiars Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. Didn't see this asked so I figured asking.

Has anyone ever tries this product? It says to spray on and rinse off, sounds easy but that takes all the fun away. I plan on using my brush but just wondering if this product works well. Tomorrow is my wax day and I can hardly sleep tonight. All my line of Meguiars products are under my pillow.

Boy I hope tomorrow is a good day.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:36 PM
I use Mothers wheel cleaner. While I think its one of the best out there, I still use my brush to get the caked-on brake dust off (truck only has 1500 miles on it).

While I'm sure the Meguiars is a good product, I don't think a product exists that would rid you of the brush for good...

Last edited by dzervit; 06-05-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:43 AM
the a2z cleaner works so well. i just use a sponge and the dust slips off, so easy!!. i've heard it eats at the clearcoat tho, so just follow directions, use it when the tire's dry and let it sit for only 30 secs.
after you're done use the all-in-one wax from meguiars, the NXT wax. whatever you truely missed with the a2z, the wax should take it off since NXT is a little more abrasive then usual wax (compared to zaino and p23)

Old 06-06-2004, 08:02 AM
I use the Maguiars Hot Rims All wheel cleaner, but I still use a brush. Something about just spraying and rinsing off, doesn't sit right with me, lol. But it says to be careful not to spray on rotors and brakes parts. If you do, be sure to rinse it off very thoroughly. It does a good job in removing brake dust.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:11 AM
I use the MOTHERS All-Purpose Wheel Mist and the Clear Coat Wheel Polish.

Once you get the wheels clean and polished with CCWP you'll never have problems again.

waxstation has them both, I couldn't find them locally.

Old 06-06-2004, 09:09 PM
I use that Castrol stuff in the purple bottle. Works real well.

Spray on rinse off works good on the chrome outer surface but I have to use a brush to get the back side of the rim though, as its not smoothe like the front.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to be totally honest with you guys... I don't know much about the wheel cleaners that are out there on the market as I've always subscribed to the notion that you get down there and use elbow grease versus a chemical (as I know I'll get it right the first time with a small sponge and some patience) but, I can definitely, without hesitation, tell you this...

DON'T USE DEGREASER ON YOUR WHEELS....

Long term use of a product of this nature will cause your clear coat on the wheels to eventually fail and begin to crack/chip/peel. I've seen this happen (my Dad's old 99' Lariat). At the time, neither one of us knew better but, ultimately, it was this, and this alone, that contributed to 3 of his 4 wheels looking like absolute garbage.

Most all of the stock wheels that come on our trucks/F-Series vehicles ARE CLEAR COATED with nearly the same material that has been used to clear coat our trucks' paint. In short, I think that very very few folks are taking full-strength degreaser to your paint to remove dirt/grime/etc.

It's a bad idea folks.

RP

Old 06-07-2004, 08:47 AM
RP - most of the cleaners described so far are acidic products. Spray on, wait 30sec, and rinse well. The stuff is nasty and can eat away at your wheels/brakes if you don't rinse well. Sounds nasty, huh? It is, but in all my years of using the Mothers product, all my wheels looked great. Those chemists are good - eat away the bad stuff but don't damage the wheel (if you follow the directions)!!

I agree you don't want to use a product that isn't specificly meant for wheels!

Old 06-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree 110% DZ. The chemists definately have it down to a science but, I know that Meguiar's has bought several sets of wheels out of goodwill for boneheads that have utilized the wrong type of cleaner on the wrong type of wheels. IE: utilizing a high acidity cleaner on a Aluminum wheel.... I'm sure that the majority of the companies out there (Mother's, Meguiar's, Eagle One, etc) have done the same for their customers...

I have a little more information on some of these products at home as we talked about them briefly at the Meguiar's class that I attended in Irvine. I took some decent notes during this part of the class but, I'd have to go back and revisit them to refresh my memory.

RP

Quick Reply: Question about wheel cleaner