How long is it taking people to get the clean mean machine look they are after

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long is it taking people to get the clean mean machine look they are after

For me it is taking around 3-4 hours to wash, polish, wax my truck with Meguiars products. I'm thinking of buying a Mr. Clean also. Any suggestion to improve the time it takes to do you truck?

Old 06-03-2004, 02:04 AM
I find taking the rig to a Irving Car wash and doing the #2 wash for $4.85 app. then running home and doing the waxing in my garage..That uses up 2-1/2 hours tops...Looks pretty good too...

Old 06-03-2004, 02:07 AM
*****...the hand car wash w/ a wax takes only an hour and costs $25 and I don't break a sweat.....

Old 06-03-2004, 02:15 AM
Wow your really something sport...Just bet your not 56 years old...Been there, done that...

Old 06-03-2004, 07:21 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It takes me an evening after work, 3-4 hours, to wash, clay, dry, polish, and wax. Of course, that is with some extra time to eat dinner and take a quick spin for it to dry. I'd say my total time is 2 hours.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Start to finish on a wash, dry, wheels/tires, clay, polish, wax (and maybe toss in a scuff or two with 2000 grit to address a spot or two that bugs the crap out of me).... total time, around 3-5 hours.

But, then again, I've spent upwards of 12-15 before as well... It's all in what you're wanting to accomplish and how dedicated you want to be to achieve that goal. Different strokes, different folks.

RP

Old 06-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take about the same amount of time as RockPick - on average. I think the biggest difference - other than the fact that he's better looking than me - is how often you wash your truck. I wash mine 2-4 times a week. This seems to keep it from getting so dirty that I have to resort to time consuming means of getting it clean. The ex on the other hand subscribes to the theory that running through the automatic car was once a year ought to do it. Oddly enough, she has to go back through several times to get it clean. This theory also saves on time because no wax has ever touched her Escape. I've also recommended that she go through the car wash with the windows open, but that's one for the Interior Care forum. Hope that helps.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 2stroked
...I think the biggest difference - other than the fact that he's better looking than me - is how often you wash your truck....
Agreed on how often you wash your truck. Not sure on the better looking comment. HA!

One thing about washing your truck a bunch though, you're more likely to create swirls and/or small scratches. Like you, I typically wash around 3 times per week (it's a helluva stress reliever for me after a crappy day at work (ie: I'll be washing this afternoon)). In fact, my wife often tells me to go outside and wash my truck when I'm in a foul mood. LOL!

RP

Old 06-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy cr@p you guys wash your truck a lot, and I bet it aint even dirty. I wash mine about once a week. Takes me 2-3 hours to wash, dry, clean inside, and put some polishing compund on my wheels and bumpers. Waxing takes about another 1-1.5 hours.
Thats why Im gonna try to get an electic buffer here soon.

I know some of you are thinkin"he only washes his truck once a week, jesus chriminies" but I cant drive my truck from the driveway to the shop I park it in(about 20 yards away) with out it gettting dirty. Black vehicles on country roads dont mix. I drive on about 20 miles of gravel everyday. Washin it 3 times a week would jsut be pointless.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:43 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On average I probably wash my vehicles ever 3 weeks. Sometimes as often as every week, but uncommon. Winter gets even longer, as long as the temps stay below 25 deg F, the salt won't cause more damage than dirt would. Anyway, my spare time is limited and it doesn't always match up with the weather forcast for the next few days so I don't end up washing too often. When I do, it takes me a good hour including tires, wheels, and dressing.

Quick Reply: How long is it taking people to get the clean mean machine look they are after