Is Meguiar's #9 and NXT a good combo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Meguiar's #9 and NXT a good combo?

I am going to do some detailing on my truck. I have a 2002 Vermillion red Lightning that was taken good care of by the previous owner. I have some light swirl marks but no oxidation or waterspots. I was doing search and the Meguiar's #9 comes highly recommended by RockPick and the new NXT wax seems to get good reviews.

Would I get good results going over my truck with #9 then applying the NXT over it? Is there another combo that is better?

Old 05-31-2004, 05:28 PM
Great combo! In fact, just did that combo on the hood of my truck this morning!

The only thing better? A second coat of NXT after waiting 24 hours and then a top coat of #26 (best with darker colors from what I hear...may not be necessary for your color).

Old 05-31-2004, 09:51 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Is Meguiar's #9 and NXT a good combo?

Originally posted by Rio J
I am going to do some detailing on my truck. I have a 2002 Vermillion red Lightning that was taken good care of by the previous owner. I have some light swirl marks but no oxidation or waterspots. I was doing search and the Meguiar's #9 comes highly recommended by RockPick and the new NXT wax seems to get good reviews.

Would I get good results going over my truck with #9 then applying the NXT over it? Is there another combo that is better?
Hey Rio J!

Indeed, the #9/NXT combo is a pretty killer combo however; you must understand how to utilize #9 to have it give you the results that you will desire.

As you know, on any type of red color in the spectrum, a swirl mark will show up very easily in direct sunlight. Further, as you probably know, swirls are nothing more than microscopic scratches that reside in the clear coat on your truck. To remove those scratches, you must remove some of the clear coat such that you are able to make it an even and level playing field again.

#9 is a generally safe product that can be utilized by hand, by PC (or dual-action polisher), or by rotary buffer. Depending on your level of comfort, one or another may work better/worse for you. Please adhere to what you're comfortable with; if that's polishing by hand, then you should do it by hand. I will say that a hand application is much more likely to take longer but, in the end, you'll achieve the same result if applied and utilized properly.

You see, #9 is very different from a protectant layer like #26, NXT or other sealants; it's an abrasive polish. By definition, a polish is designed to add depth, luster, and also can remove some surface imperfections. Unfortunately, it adds NO protective qualities (little to no). Many Zaino users call Zaino polish however, by definition, it's more of a sealant -- sorry, off topic there.

Enough of my rant, let's discuss using the product a bit...

You will find that the majority of the work that the #9 product does is actually done as you work the product torwards the paint. You must 'work' it until it's nearly dry and only has a very slight wet cut to the feel. In short, work the product until it is nearly turning to dust. By using the word 'work', I mean simply continue rubbing and working it in...

Utilize this technique over small sections of the vehicle and remove the polish once you're done with that section. #9 can be a bear to remove if it's allowed to sit on the paint for long periods of time.

Once you've removed the first layer, evaluate your work. Have you effectively removed the majority of what you're working to remove? Have you removed it all? Can you still see scratching/swirls?

If you still have problems, another coat of #9 may be your answer or, it may be necessary to consult a rotary buffer (and someone that is very versed in using it) and another abrasive polish such that you can remove your imperfections.

NXT is a no-brainer. It's a GREAT product that has burst on to the scene in recent months and has generally taken the enthusiast world by storm. It offers a long-lasting synthetic base of protection and can be layered (2-layers).

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, a coat of Meguiar's #26 Carnauba on top of the NXT is a killer combo as well (and one that I currently utilize). I find that the #26 seems to make the paint a bit more deep and helps to cover the synthetic look that many have noted.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask as I'd be happy to help you steer a course. Meguiar's products have never let me down and I love the results that I get when I use their products the right way for the right reason. They are a quality company that stands by what they make and the results that are rendered by their products.

RP

Last edited by Rockpick; 05-31-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Great info Rock Pick, thanks. I bought some NXT but I am having a hard time finding the #9 here locally. I may have to order it online.

I am seeing a lot of wax here by Meguiars called "Color Enhancer" (or something like that) Is it a wax or a polish?

Old 06-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Moderator &

Maybe a product called COLOR X?

Old 06-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Moderator &

I know that the majority of the AutoZone's and PepBoys around here carry #9 typically. You might give one of those places a try if you have them available.

RP

Old 06-01-2004, 11:39 AM
RockPick....

Please come to my house and wax my truck for me???

Show me how it is done one time, then I will take over!..

Old 06-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Yes, Color X. I can find that everywhere. It says it eliminates swirl marks, can I use it in place of #9?

No kidding, I have checked all the stores here in my town in S.E. Tn. and I can't find #9.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by BiggDogg
RockPick....

Please come to my house and wax my truck for me???

Show me how it is done one time, then I will take over!..

Pay for the flight or come down here to Kentucky! LOL! Also, can we can recruit Boss_429 or Intel486? I'd love to see those guys at work...

RP

Old 06-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Rio J
Yes, Color X. I can find that everywhere. It says it eliminates swirl marks, can I use it in place of #9?

No kidding, I have checked all the stores here in my town in S.E. Tn. and I can't find #9.
Here's the thing...

I have a bottle of COLOR-X on my shelf but, I've never tried it so, I can't attest if it'll work or not. My hunch is that if you have very nominal swirls, it may work. Then again, it may not. I've heard some big-time raves about the COLOR-X product on several message boards but, like I said, I don't have first-hand experience.

As I recall, the product isn't very expensive so, it might be worth a stab. One thing is for certain, once you've applied Color-X, you can definitely go back over it with NXT and achieve a very nice end product (pending it's powerful enough to deal with the swirls).

If you're not willing to take a stab with the CX, I'd stick with plan A as I'm pretty certain that you'll achieve your desired results.... #9 is a very good product and a staple in my arsenal.

RP

Old 06-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Moderator &

COLOR-X / NXT Update

After viewing some photos (begining and end result pictures) at meguiarsonline.com, I'd say that the Color-X/NXT combo might be a pretty safe bet to try...

CHECK IT OUT -- COLOR-X / NXT

RP

Old 06-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Those pictures are worth a thousand words. I'll get the Color X and use it until I can find some #9.

I had a black 94 Ranger Splash and I wish I could have tried the Color X on it. It was the oxidation king.

Thanks for your help Rock Pick!

Old 06-01-2004, 04:39 PM
A question for RockPick..... If NXT is truly a sealant (i.e. synthetic product), and #9 has silicone (sp?) or oils in it (which I think it does), how can #9 be used under NXT? I know that both Klasse and Four Starr UPP (both synthetics) require a non-oily, non-silicone base finish prior to their application, to provide for proper adhesion. What's the difference with NXT? Just curious.........

-Mike-

Quick Reply: Is Meguiar's #9 and NXT a good combo?