Meguires Products (including NXT), My Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Meguires Products (including NXT), My Review

The weather was real nice yesterday so I decided to try out the Meguires products, including the NXT line, on my black truck. The method I chose was to chemically clean the paint using Meg non-abrasive Paint Cleaner, then Meg #9 swirl remover, then the NXT polymer wax. All was done by hand.

Meg non abrasive Chemical Paint Cleaner - I applied this product first to remove any oxidation. I was leary at first to put this on but I was glad I did. It applied easy and I worked it until almost dry (slighly wet). What I did not like was that the stuff dried on before I could wipe it off, but it came off as easy/hard as regular wax. What I liked is that the product began to hide the small scratches in the paint. I would recommend this product as preparation for waxing.

Meg # 9 - This product went on and off simular to the paint cleaner but is slightly gritty. I was hoping to remove the tons on swirls and some scratches in the paint of my truck. After one application, I noticed the swirls were gone but some of the deeper scratches that the paint cleaner did'nt cover were still there. I also had some tough water spots on the roof and hood which are barely noticable and only when you closely look. These water spots are most likely from acid rain eating the paint. After several applications of #9, the deeper scratches and water spots remained but the swirls were gone.

Meg NXT - This is what I want to try as I wanted something to last longer than regular caranuba wax that I had been using. The polymer wax I believe will give me that duration but the jury is still out on that one.

The wax went on easy and the trick (as with all poymer base products) is to let it cure for 15 minutes before wiping off. The temperature was around 50 degrees so it took alittle longer to dry as the truck was out of the sun. It wiped off easy, much easier than regular wax. The product left a great shine with that slippery feel to the paint. I did two coats, although the first coat looked good enough.

I would say that the shine is slightly better that regular wax and it did have that suran wrap look. (I always got a great look from regular wax, only it never lasted). For ease of use and the results obtained, I was over all sastified. My truck looks GREAT. I will apply this product to my wifes Escape. Now lets see how long it will last.

Meg NXT Protectant - I bought this product to protect the interior parts that I would normally use Armor All on. Again I was looking for durablity and longevity. I felt that a polymer based product would give me these qualities. We will see.

The product has the consistancy of furnature polish, oily, not milky like Armour All. It is basically odorless. It applies as easy as
Armour All but is oily and looks like you spread salad oil over your dash. I used a clean rag to apply the product. It takes a while to dry. When it dries,the shine was good, but some areas were slighly tacky (maybe I applied too much product there). I also tried it out on the outside plastics such as the step bumper and the bed rails. It removed the wax mistakes on the plastics and left a good shine, but I am curious to see if it will run when it rains. I still don't know if this is better than other products as they apply and look the same.

Old 02-29-2004, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
srfd44,

Nice review! I think you will continue to like the NXT.

One quick note......... the Meguiar's #9 is a swirl remover. It is not made for deeper scratches. To remove deeper scratches, you need a more aggressive product like Meguiar's DACP. In some case, "no" product will remove the scratches, and touch up painting is required.

Old 02-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice review!

I definately agree though, the NXT durability is still out to the jury... we'll see.

Keep us posted on the progression and how it looks.

As a suggestion, you can go back over the NXT with a quality carnauba like PB's or #26 to get the classic carnauba look that both you and I were used to prior to trying this synthetic... I've since applied to my entire vehicle and I'm much more impressed with the depth.

RP

Old 03-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I intend to let the NXT cure for a week then put on some Mothers Caranuba Wax over the NXT. I have since used NXT on my wife's Escape which still has fairly new paint (it is garaged kept). It took me a total of 40 minutes to complete as it came off so easily.

I used the NXT protectant on the larger plastic body panels as well as the plastic front. It darkend the plastic a bit and made it look not so faded.

My wife thinks that the car looks as it did when it rolled off the lot and she don't usually comment on these matters.

I want to see how the protectant works in the rain and the durability before I recommend it. As for the NXT, I wish this stuff was around when my truck was new. As I stated before, for the small amount of work for the great results is worth it.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you guys describe what you mean by 'seran wrap look'?

Old 03-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Buckfu
can you guys describe what you mean by 'seran wrap look'?
A whole bunch of surficial gloss with only a little bit of depth.... In a sense, it looks like the vehicle is coated in suran wrap...

RP

Quick Reply: Meguires Products (including NXT), My Review