Removing Paint from Vinyl

Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyFX4
If the paint is enamel, "Goof Off!" and a soft bristle brush would work. Just be sure to liberally soak it in your vinyl treatment liquid of choice after doing it.

And strange as is may sound, try hair spray. That's what the furniture people told me when my wife tried doing some custom modification to my leather recliner with an ink pen one day. Squirted some hair spray on it, and worked it with a soft bristle brush. Took the ink right out. Cleaned the hair spray residue with water, let it dry, and then soaked it with leather conditioner, and it came out just fine.

Good luck.

i accidentally sprayed some paint on my vinyl i came to de forum here, since de hairspray work on some it might actually work on me,but i dont know how should i get the leather conditioner you are talking about. will someone help me out?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy old thread, batman!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:03 PM
a solution that works

this thread is still active because it's a top hit on Google and yet no really satisfactory solution has been posted in it

well another thread elsewhere reminded me that I had some Motsenbocker's Lift Off #3 sitting in my closet that I got at the local hardware store. The stuff is biodegradable and less hazardous to work with than the other solvents mentioned, though you still need to be careful.

Used a stiff old toothbrush with the Mots to clean that paint right off my vinyl seat. You have to let it soak for 60 seconds per the directons. Got every last speck of white paint off of the black vinyl seat, even all the texture residue, using the toothbrush. A little bit of dark brown coloring came off on the cloth I used to wipe it with--actually I think it was dirt rather than stuff in the vinyl but hard to tell -- but the vinyl looks unharmed.

The #3 wasn't specifically formulated for latex paint, which was my issue, as compared to the Motsenbocker's #5, but did the job. The #4 might help some folks with spray paint issues.

Last edited by veggietummy; 12-21-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-22-2009, 03:03 PM
haha yeah, 5 year gap, no big deal...

I would have suggested a pencil eraser though... well, maybe a big one... they work wonders for me...

Old 12-22-2009, 05:39 PM
ive seen name brand oven cleaner to remove bottom paint and painted on names off of boats before many times. never done it personally but have seen it done at my work and on my boating forum

Old 08-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Removing Paint from Vinyl

Have you tried WD40 ? Amazing stuff. lots of uses.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:59 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
He tried Liquid Wrench - 11 years ago.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Paint from Vinyl