Spider Webs in Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spider Webs in Paint

I am trying to do some research for my Fathers F-150. He has a 2001 SCrew Lariat in Deep Wedgewood Blue. (think that is the correct name for the color)

Anyway, he has some (5-6) spots showing up on the hood and front quarter panels that look like tiny spider webs about the size of half dollars.

At first he thought he had some bird crap sit there for too long and it damaged the paint, but recently more spots are showing up and he is sure that it was not caused by bird poo.

I did a search on "spider paint" and have seen that lots of people are describing a similar spots, but was not able to find any pictures to verify if what they are describing is what my dad's truck has.

Sorry this post is getting so long, basically what I am after is: does anyone have pictures of this, and does anyone know what causes this, or is it a paint defect?

Thanks for all you help!
Adam

Old 11-19-2003, 06:59 PM
I found this site from google:

http://www.westcoastairbrush.com/WCA...stirecover.htm

It explains in short the causes of spiderwebbing.

Basically, something happened when the paint was being applied/still fresh (edit: at least I think thats what causes it...it could be something in the way it is washed...)

Try going to your dealership, they might help you out...

Last edited by Johngs; 11-19-2003 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about and they're not really spiderwebbing per say...

The paint is actually etched where the clearcoat failed and the paint 'cracked' when it cured. I have one spot on my hood that is like this that is about half the size of a dime.

I've had mine looked at by two body shop guys and one professional detailer and all have said that there's basically nothing that I can do...

In my case, it had it when I bought the truck (demo) and I've tried to get them to warranty it but, they claim that it was done while I owned the truck (which it wasn't) so, basically I'm stuck with it until I repaint the hood... which may be more sooner than later.

I'll try to remember to take a picture of my spot to see if you can compare it...

RP

Old 11-20-2003, 03:08 AM
RP,

I could fix that spot for you without even repainting the hood. Or you could just fix it yourself just as easy. Treat it just like a rock chip and fix it with touch up paint. just be sure that you sand it down a little first then apply your touch up paint with a artist detail brush, let it dry a day or two then come back and wet sand the sucker smooth, polish and rewax. You will never even know it was ever there.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by cgorris
RP,

I could fix that spot for you without even repainting the hood. Or you could just fix it yourself just as easy. Treat it just like a rock chip and fix it with touch up paint. just be sure that you sand it down a little first then apply your touch up paint with a artist detail brush, let it dry a day or two then come back and wet sand the sucker smooth, polish and rewax. You will never even know it was ever there.
I don't think mine would be that easy...

The spot is actually beneath the clear.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:58 AM
RP, thanks for the info. What you describe seems more like what I "tried" to describe in my post above. If you run your finger over it, it feels smooth. It appears to be under the clear coat like you describe also. Not really something that could be touched up with a brush and paint.

Only thing is, from how my dad describes them (I looked at them a few months), the ones that are there when I saw them last appear to get bigger, and new ones are showing up! So it was not a defect that was there when he purchased the vehicle (new).

If you have time, take a picture and post it, I am very curious to see if they look the same.

I was thinking and maybe a better way to describe it is like the way dirt looks when it is very dry and cracked. Take that mental picture and reduce it in size, add some color, and cover it with a sheet of glass.

Again thanks
Adam

Old 11-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Moderator &

Here's what my little spot looks like:

Sorry it's blurry... the camera couldn't decide which image to focus upon... the etch or the camera that's in the mirror.

Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Moderator &

Oh yeah... that's the tip of my pinky finger for scale...

Old 11-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Oh ya...that looks pretty close...his are a little bigger than that.
I am trying to get my brother to take some pics and I'll post them so others know what it looks like too.

Thanks for posting RP, that truck has one heck of a sparkle to it, even out of focus!

Adam

Old 11-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by wings_023
Thanks for posting RP, that truck has one heck of a sparkle to it, even out of focus!

Adam
Thanks... I think the camera was trying to focus on it's own reflection rather than the cracked clear/paint.

RP

Old 11-21-2003, 07:33 AM
I've got exactly the same thing in two spots on my hood. Both are about the size of a pencil eraser. Had a body shop guy tell me that the white in the cracks is actually old wax that is filling up the crack. He suggested an old worn out toothbrush to dig it out. The theory being that the brush isn't as stiff as a new one so it won't scratch the paint or make the cracks any bigger. Well, I tried it and it worked! The scratchs are still there but you have to know where they are and look really close to find them. I can live with it the way it is now rather than spend a lot of $$ to repaint.

Russ

Old 11-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Angry

It isn't scratches, it is the paint cracking. I have the same problem, but not on the hood. Mine showed up about a year after I got the truck, but it is in a place where there is no way it could be scratches. I have talked with the Ford body shop, and the only thing you can really do is have the hood repainted. I've decided to just wait until I need to do some serious painting.

Quick Reply: Spider Webs in Paint