F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Buyers Tips & Tricks (https://www.f150online.com/forums/buyers-tips-tricks-52/)
-   -   Extended warranty or not? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/buyers-tips-tricks/472427-extended-warranty-not.html)

Fang94 06-06-2012 10:13 AM

Extended warranty or not?

Hi all,

I wanted to know what you think of getting an extended warranty for your vehicles. I'm usually not in favor of paying thousands of dollars for peace of mind. It feels like I'm betting against the reliability of the car I chose to purchase and seems counter intuitive.

My wife on the other side always wants to buy an extended warranty "just in case".

What are your thoughts?

Bluejay 06-06-2012 10:24 AM

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6...ended+warranty

Bluejay 06-06-2012 10:25 AM

I have never purchased one and never needed one. All the money I have saved can be applied to a repair/replacement should a need arise.

Fang94 06-06-2012 11:38 AM

Thanks! I'm getting an EB so based on your recommendation in the other thread I'll probably get something

Bluejay 06-06-2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fang94 (Post 4848974)
Thanks! I'm getting an EB so based on your recommendation in the other thread I'll probably get something

Keep in mind that what I said in the other thread was over a year ago. I would probably not do it now, as the EB seems reliable at this time. I really hate to buy an extended warranty as it is such a huge profit center for the dealers. Basically, if I don't have the confidence in what I am buying is going to last, I would not buy it. This is what I told the dealer when they tried to add an extended warranty to my purchase. Some day, I may get stung, but all I saved will pay to fix the sting.

glc 06-08-2012 07:50 AM

If you can wait till the factory warranty is close to expiring, do so. Then you can evaluate the situation based on factors such as how trouble-free your vehicle has been, and more long-term reliability data. I don't care how reliable a vehicle is statistically, there's always a chance your particular one will have issues. If you wind up with a lemon, at this time I'd either buy an extended warranty or trade it in.

the EB seems reliable at this time
Maybe so overall, but it seems to me we have some posts here that may show otherwise.

Squelch 07-21-2012 10:14 PM

I'll add to this thread instead of the old thread that was linked in the second post. I notice there are quite a few folks that sell warranties online. Is this kosher? One of the links asks what state - is it the state the truck is registered or the state I live? (I'm in the military and keep my vehicles registered in Florida, my home of record, but I move all over the place).

Thanks.

nditech 07-22-2012 07:25 AM

I bought the extended warranty for my 09 and it has come in handy. During my last state inspection they found the 2 upper control arms had to much play in then and required replacement. Paid my 100 buck and they were both replaced. Also had the torsion bar in the tailgate break and was covered under my extended only paid 100 of the 250 for the repair. I have 83k on the truck and those were the first major repairs that had to be done. Not sure if the repairs paid for the extended warranty but it sure was a lot easier on the wallet when the repairs needed to be done. This was the first time I ever bought the extended warranty.

Rockpick 07-23-2012 12:17 PM

There were some sites out there selling genuine FoMoCo warranties at deeply discounted prices (that is, off of retail - which is what the stealership will normally push). Again, they were 'real' warranties from Ford - the same that you'd buy from your stealership - but, considerably less money.

For the life of me, I can't find the site that I remember getting quotes from at one point in time though....

Squelch 07-23-2012 11:02 PM

No problem. I'll search it out and try to get a quote before I finalize the deal on the truck. Then I can tell the finance person the number they need to beat. Thanks.

Railroad 07-23-2012 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Squelch (Post 4873108)
No problem. I'll search it out and try to get a quote before I finalize the deal on the truck. Then I can tell the finance person the number they need to beat. Thanks.

lombardfordwarrantys.com
This site might be of some help.

beechkid 08-14-2012 07:42 PM

IMHO, the EB is still an experiment in the consumer hands...although the engine has been around for years & used in other applications, in the truck arena it is new.....and minor items in drivability, etc are poking their head up.....and when things go wrong with a "boost" system, things go really wrong 9usually)- to cya myself, I would buy one........