Dealer telling the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2001, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Zach,

I'm still here, although I haven't had much time to visit the board lately. I actually was in your neighborhood for about an hour last Tuesday. I stopped at DFW to change planes on the way back from Vegas (work thing). I think I saw your oxford white beauty as we landed.

Thursday was my truck's date for a radiator transplant, and I now have the 1.42". It really looks massive compared the the 1.02" the truck came with. The dealer wrote it up as warranty service.

On Friday I had the cap installed and that night I put the Bedrug in and installed molded splash guards all around. Oh my, but this is looking slick.

Today I thought I would install the PIAA super whites. The right one went in easily, but I got stummped by the left headlight. It appears to me that I would have to drain the cooling system and remove the top radiator shroud and the coolant overflow tank in order to replace that bulb. Is there another way to do this?

I'll be in your again neighborhood next week as I pass through on the way to NM for a couple of weeks.

------------------
Ordered 1/19/01; TPW 3/12/01; ETA 3/26/01; Delivered 3/21/01; radiator replaced with 1.42" 4/12/01

2001 F150 4X4; 5.4; bright red; super cab; short bed; Lariat; captains chairs; class III tow package; electric shift-on-the-fly; 3.55 LSD; sliding rear window

Mods: Westin Platinum nerf bars; ARE "T" cap

Mods in my garage, waiting to be installed: PIAA 80XT's and super white bulbs; Bedrug

Future mods: Manik stainless brush guard

Old 04-16-2001, 11:44 PM
Hey Link,

You have completely run off and left me in the mod department. Thusly, I felt compelled to make the final decision on my wheels/tires and get them ordered today.
I'm going with 16 x 8 Weld Typhoons and 285-75-16 Bridgestone Dueler AT tires. I realized a few days after ordering my truck that the Off Road Package was a waste of money because I didn't want the factory wheels/tires anyway, but it was too late. (shrug)

How does the new cap look on the truck, any pics yet? With the cap, I think the bed rug is a great choice over the spray in or drop in liners.

Vegas on business eh? Hmmmm, sounds like my kind of job!

Old 04-17-2001, 06:17 PM
Zach,
Interesting that you're getting 16" wheels. Did the ORP come with that size? My factory wheels are 17". I'd like to see how they look if you can post or send a photo. I'm leaving tonight and won't be back until May 2. The cap looks really big and red and the complete package is really coming together. The Bedrug is an excellent touch. I am amazed at the precision of the fit. Thanks to some tips from elswhere on the board, I was able to finish installing the super whites. I haven't done any night driving with them, but they seem really great in my driveway. No photos yet, but I'll email you some when I get back.

adios

Old 04-25-2001, 10:33 AM
Red face

Hi All.....

Link, the last three days have been extremely strange! Sunday I gave my truck the mother of all driveway washings. I noticed brown spots all over the fender flares, painted front bumper cover and passenger side body side molding. Tar & Bug Remover did not phase this stuff. It was not on the surface of the paint, it seemed be embedded as the offending areas were as smooth as glass if you ran a finger across them. I determined these spots to be from the tire dressing which was ABUNDANTLY applied to my tires and proceeded to sling itself on the sides of the truck when I left the dealership. I've never had tire dressing do what this stuff did.
The Make Ready Dept suggested Carnuba Wax which I tried to no avail before heading over there yesterday. They were most apologetic as was the owner of the Detail Company they purchase their supplies from.

The VERDICT: The chemicals in the tire dressing reacted with the tire black and when this "potion" was thrown onto my paint, it ate throw the clear coat and chemically bonded with the paint.

The SOLUTION: I would not stand for repainting and immediately dismissed this option. The only viable option was to have the dealership order the parts (which come from the parts department pre-painted by the factory).

The OUTCOME: As the sales manager, fleet manager, make ready manager, head detailer, detail supply company owner and myself all stood outside conversing on this I noticed a bright red SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 which had just been unloaded from transport the night before....THE PLOT THICKENS! My friend, the sales manager gave me full credit for every dime I paid for my truck, the same discount on the SuperCrew and I paid the difference.
I let them put it through PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) but I'm doing the make ready myself.

I did not go to the dealership wanting to buy another truck but things just worked out so that it was a viable option. I really struggled with the Supercab or Supercrew decision when I made my initial purchase but I was happy with the S'Cab. What transpired yesterday was the most impulsive purchase I've ever made and it feels pretty darn good!

[This message has been edited by Zach (edited 04-25-2001).]

Old 04-30-2001, 09:32 AM

------------------

2001.5 Lariat SCrew 4x4
Bright Red
Medium Graphite Leather
3.55 Limited Slip
Sliding Rear Window
Trailer Tow Pkg.
Off Road Package
Captains Chairs
6 Disc CD Changer
Rear Seat Entertainment
16x8 Weld Typhoon wheels
285 Bridgestone AT's

Old 05-02-2001, 05:56 AM
Zach,

That is an amazing story. Congrats on your new truck...it's a real beauty. Thanks for posting the pic. I'll post one of mine with the cap within the next couple of days.

------------------
Ordered 1/19/01; TPW 3/12/01; ETA 3/26/01; Delivered 3/21/01; radiator replaced with 1.42" 4/12/01

2001 F150 4X4; 5.4; bright red; medium parchment interior; super cab; short bed; Lariat; captains chairs; class III tow package; electric shift-on-the-fly; 3.55 LSD; sliding rear window

Mods: Westin Platinum nerf bars; ARE "T" cap; Bedrug; molded splash guards

Mods in my garage, waiting to be installed: PIAA 80XT's and super white bulbs

Future mods: Manik stainless brush guard

Old 05-02-2001, 09:47 AM
Thumbs up

Welcome Back Link! How was New Mexico?

It was sad that my SCab made it through the order & delivery process to get damaged in the very last step in the process, application of tire dressing in the Make Ready Dept.

I'm looking foward to seeing the new pics of your truck.

Quick Reply: Dealer telling the truth?