Buy Under Invoice Price

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Buy Under Invoice Price

Guys if you aren't getting your truck at invoice or below then you need to try harder. I bought my last two trucks (98 F150 XLT and 2000 F150 Lariat) at $300 and $350 under invoice and recent shopping for another one for my son has several dealers bidding at $500 under invoice. The secret in a nutshell is shop over the phone. Sure, go to the dealers and window shop, decide exactly what you want, but when its time to buy, get on the phone and talk to the sales manager, or
even the General manager. Cut through all the haggling and tell him what you want and that you can get it at another dealer at $300 under invoice, and what can he do, etc. This works every time and not only for trucks. Of course the more knowledgeable you are, the better. Know your truck, options, pricing, financing options, trade in value, etc. Remember a great price and bad financing means the dealer still took you to the cleaners. I spent less than an hour at the dealer when I picked up my two trucks, since the whole deal was done over the phone. If you are in the Austin or San Antonio, Texas, area and want the dealers names that will sell under invoice please email me at kms333@netzero.net. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2001, 06:02 PM
Thumbs up

Way to go; I agree !! What you can get a truck for does depend on the sales/market conditions when you buy it. I had a simple time getting them down to dealer cost. It took several days and techniques to get them down to $566 under.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

Old 03-13-2001, 09:39 PM
Wink

Nice one LarryS...

You're absolutely right... a great price with lousy financing = LOUSY DEAL.

And, Max...dealer cost on a $32,000 SCrew is about $1000 under invoice, you've got the right idea...

Old 03-14-2001, 08:42 AM
Cool

MrBill- Yes, an under dealer cost comes out of their holdback which is a percentage. It's less on a cheaper truck like mine at $18,600.

Old 03-14-2001, 08:53 AM
Can you negotiate dealer's processing fee, documentation fee, and adervtising fee? Or that's pretty much fixed?

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2001, 01:32 PM
Lee
I have always refused to pay the doc fees etc. If they have to collect them they reduce their difference price for the amount of the fees after we have made our deal. Usually I have to tell them that those fees are a deal breaker unless they reduce their price to accomodate the fee amount.

Old 03-14-2001, 06:30 PM
sth
I got quotes from several dealers via e-mail. The lowest quote included a $85 "processing fee" and nothing else (or so he says). The next lowest said they charge no fees at all. So I would say that all fees are negotiable. Otherwise, they would all have to charge them. By the way, on a Supercrew, the best quote was $250 under without the $85 processing fee and the next lowest was $100 under invoice with no fees.

Old 03-14-2001, 06:35 PM
I just bought mine for invoice less $400. Dealer sold for invoice +98.00 then gave me the $500 rebate on the screw.

Old 03-15-2001, 03:10 PM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know the point of this thread is to tell everyone what a great deal you got but sometimes all is not what it seems. Yes, it is important to negotiate but you don't get something for nothing. Invoice pricing is a big joke these days. We know it and the dealers know it.
In my case, I paid about $100 over invoice plus some doc fee's, maybe another $100 bucks.
I feel it was a small price to pay for ordering from a dealer with an "01" priority who had my truck on the lot in 4 weeks. Also, what I got was FREE scheduled maintanance during the warranty period which I know is cheap at dealer costs but I don't have to get my hands dirty and who actually rotates their tires themself. Also, my salesman gave me a lift back and forth from my office which is only 10 minutes away. Just thought I would mention that the best "deal" isn't always measured in $$$$.

------------------
2001 F150 XLT SC SPORT 4X4 FLARESIDE
* Black
* Auto
* awesome factory 10 spoke 17" wheels
* "MAN"ual shift 4x4
* 3.55 Limited slip
* Captains chairs W/console
* Factory tube steps
* Slider

Old 03-19-2001, 07:19 AM
Great info and advice. I got my 00 HD F-150 for $27,300. Don't know what that means as far as invoice, but it seems better than what most paid :-) But, now I'll be better prepared when it's time to get that L ;-)

Gene

Old 03-19-2001, 08:01 AM
Lightbulb

JDF made a good point...but dollars is the common denominator. Put a value on the "free" service you're getting during the warrantee period and you'll quickly know how good a deal you're getting. My dealer displays a pricing schedule for scheduled maintenance and other work. As with buying, etc. figure that their cost is about 85% of that pricing. "Free" scheduled maintenance for about three years, at the recommended intervals works out to about $1000 (if they don't convince you to spend unnecessarily on any other repairs along the way). No deal is a good deal if you can't drive out of the dealership and be repair free for 75,000 miles.

Old 03-19-2001, 06:45 PM
Wink

Not to mention some people like to do their own maintenance, and have for years. Rotating tires is a hobby to some, so is making sure the job is done right without grease everywhere.

Old 03-21-2001, 08:43 PM
I agree w/ max mitchell.

We bought our 96 explorer (w/o wilderness AT's I may add) and have always done my own maintenace from tire rotation, brakes, fluid changes etc. In Connecticut doing it yourself does not void any warranty. And I don't have the inconvience of going back and fourth or waiting for my truck....plus I can drink beer at home vs their lousy coffee.....

Old 03-23-2001, 12:39 AM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

OK, forget the free maintanance part.
I paid a few extra bucks and got the truck FAST.
For the past 30 years, I have always done my own maintanance from oil changes to brakes to water pumps, etc. For better or worse, I have more money than time these days.

Old 04-19-2001, 01:03 AM
Question

Hey you guys have any SPECIFIC info regarding purchasing a F250? Also, has anyone found good deals with online auto dealers? If so, which ones? Thanks! :Þ
-SmegZ

Quick Reply: Buy Under Invoice Price