Looking for some suggestions on buying a f-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some suggestions on buying a f-150

I'm just about to get a 2002 f-150 4.6L tomorrow and noticed tonight in the final test ride there is a whin in the steering box on tight turns. Starts about about 3/4 lock and gets worse as you get to full lock. I've asked them to look at it in the morning but doubt they will find anything.

We used to have dozens of F-250s at work and some of them did this and never worried about this. But this this is going to be my truck I am wondering if steering pumps are a known issue?

Also any known issues in 2002 or common issues with models of around this year? Also where is the common rust area on these trucks? I went all over this truck and couldn't find any rust but neither could I on the other 4 on lot. My 2005 focus has more rest and my 98 Tj is just a rust bucket.

Thank you

Old 05-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should probably try posting in the section relevant to this particular truck or part, such as the Suspension forum, or possibly Wheel and Tires, but I believe your issue is related to some back pressure, and is probably more relevant to the Suspension forum. Also, if you have any serious doubts about the vehicle, request a longer test drive, say several hours, and take it to a local shop you trust. Have them do a complete vehicle inspection, probably run you $20-40 depending on the shop, and they'll report back after as to the shape it's really in. I know used trucks look pretty and shiny on the lot, but are they all underneith?

Quick Reply: Looking for some suggestions on buying a f-150