Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAKFlip MX4

Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down BAKFlip MX4

I bought a BACKFlip MX4 for my 2018. Looks great and I like the security, but after a few months, it leaks like a sieve along the hinges. Contacted their warranty department 3 times over the last few weeks before someone responded. They want a video of the leak while spraying the cover with a hose. And it is all of 9 degrees F outside. I'm not happy.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
That's not good.

My Lund tri-fold has been holding up great since 2007.

Though I am about ready for a new one. I'm a happy customer.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I've been using a Rugged Liner HC-F804 Premium for the last few years. Nothing special. It just works. No leaks.

I had a TruXedo 278601 which completely fell apart. Glue dried, stitches broke, velcro stopped sticking. Piece of the cover flew like a tattered flag on the freeway.

No more soft covers for me. They just don't last beyond whatever the warranty period is. If they give you a 1 year warranty, it will fall apart after that. $300 - $400 for 365 days. Then it's garbage. Hundreds of dollars in the landfill.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I installed mine on my 2016, the instructions (extra "spacing and shimming sheet") said to leave the plastic spacer attached to the rail sides. I actually removed them as they left the rails at a strange angle as could be seen by the metal bracket angle where the top bolts onto. Did you leave the long plastic shims in place during installation. I would look at removing the shim/spacer if they are still on your rails.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:12 AM
There are no shims on mine, just seal strips. The problem is the hinges leaking. The rails drain like they should. Realtruck won't take the cover back and passed the buck to Bakflip, so I'm stuck with waiting until spring to see if Bakflip honors the warranty. I have already chalked Bakflip up as a $1,000 mistake. Once I save up the cash, I'm going back to a fiberglass cap. Never had a leak from those.

Last edited by Cold Steel; 01-26-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Temperatures finally dropped to where I could take the truck to the car wash. Shot some bad photos of water leaking on the inside of of my cover and sent them to BakFlip. I was surprised they immediately sent me a complete new cover. I will install it tomorrow. Hope this one doesn't leak.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:29 PM
And the replacement cover leaks worse than the first one. Now to see if BakFlip refunds my money so I can buy a cap. The cap on my last truck didn't leak a drop in 18 years.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:33 PM
This saga just keeps getting better and better. What's missing from the original post is I bought the cover from Realtruck.com in late August. I started contacting them about the leak in October, a few weeks after installing it. At that time, I just wanted help getting the problem corrected. Realtruck didn't respond until December, when they told me to contact BakkFlip for warranty. Last week, BakFlip agreed I should have a full refund after the problems with the replacement cover and referred me to Realtruck to obtain it. Realtruck said they won't issue a refund because the original sale is outside their refund policy period and referred me back to BakFlip again for warranty support. I am losing patience with both companies. Maybe I should have my lawyer get involved.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:00 PM
It took a lot of e-mails, phone calls and cajoling, but I finally received a full refund for the leaking covers I ordered an ARE cap. Just in time for the 10 speed to start slipping and hard shifting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BAKFlip MX4