Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard folding cover - Need your input!

Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hard folding cover - Need your input!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just picked up my 2017 F150 crew a few weeks ago (and man, what an upgrade from 2006 Titan).

I want a hard folding cover for my new truck and promise I'm not being a noob - I have literally read every thread on covers on the forum first. Not trying to beat a dead horse Some of them are years old, so wanted to get some fresh feedback and reviews. Here is the assessments I've made on the options (hopefully this helps others out too).

What I am trying to accomplish:

-Hard folding cover
-Trying to avoid gutter/drain systems (free up bed width, avoid damaging, screwing up drain tubes)
-Water tight as possible (does not appear any folding options are 100%)
-Would be nice to have access to bed without opening tailgate, but not deal breaker
-Want tailgate to drop from remote (have a Platinum)

Peragon
Pros: great customer service, paint to match, access without dropping tailgate, easy to remove and free up bed, secure with locked tailgate
Cons: can't open cover if items in front of bed, pull string may be annoying/in the way, may leak (however seams to be better than others)

Extang Solid Fold 2.0
Pros: Easiest to install and remove, secure with locked tailgate
Cons: leaks, have to drop tailgate to open

Extang Encore
Pros: Can open from front or back of bed, easy to remove to free up bed
Cons: Gutter system takes up bed width, requires drains, not as secure (possible to open with coat hanger)

Fold-A-Cover Elite G4
Pros: Can open from front or back of bed, has nice caddy option, secure
Cons: Not as easy to remove to free up bed, problems with leaking and seals breaking down after a couple of years, customer service may not be as good, pain in the a** to install

Bakflip G2
Pros: low profile, can flip up to free up bed
Cons: leaks, not secure (coat hanger), flip up toward cab could damage truck/block visibility, requires drains

Rugged Cover II
Pros: Easy on/off, seams to be most water tight based on reviews
Cons: Have to open tailgate to open cover, may not be able to drop tailgate via remote

I appreciate any feedback you provide - I'm exhausted from research and just want to pull the trigger

Thanks everyone!

Jeff

Old 04-27-2017, 10:23 PM
I have no experience, will be interesting to watch this thread and learn. Good Luck

Old 04-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are two more you might consider:

Bakflip MX4: You don't have to open the tailgate to open the cover.

Truck Gear by LINE-X: The newest model has the same seals as the MX4, so you don't have to open the tailgate to open the cover. It's the only folding cover that has a limited lifetime warranty.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I love my Bakflip G2, not sure how you're saying it isn't secure? It's one of the harder covers to get into.....

And as far as blocking visibility, I hate that too, but it's only 2 "thumb screws" and the cover can be removed by one person and left at home, with just the rails still attached to the bed rails

Old 05-11-2017, 05:55 AM
I had a Leer Trilogy X2T installed on my 2016 a couple months ago or so. It was the first of this new trifold that the install shop had seen and they were suitably impressed....they also sell all the other brands you mentioned and they figured the construction quality was 'night and day' between it and the other brands. IIrc it was released late last year in US.

It has a solid positive latch on each side of each panel, it rides on top of box and latches into fairly low profile box rails. It can be stowed folded up, or completely stood up on struts. It has no drain tubes like so many others and relies on very good quality seals around perimieter and along hinges. After 2-3 months of use, i see
no leaks into box from rain, melting snow or washing, so far. I have the electric tailgate release and it works just fine. The only caveat is it requires the tailgate open to open lid,

Make sure you search for 'Leer Trilogy X2T' which is the newer model and not the 'Leer Trilogy' which is a pile of junk and shares no design or components at all to the new X2T.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 AM
cju
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I love my Bakflip G2, not sure how you're saying it isn't secure? It's one of the harder covers to get into.....

And as far as blocking visibility, I hate that too, but it's only 2 "thumb screws" and the cover can be removed by one person and left at home, with just the rails still attached to the bed rails
We have that on our 06 F-150 as well and I can agree, I like that it is easy to handle and would say it is fairly secure. It is true that it leaks sometimes under heavy or long-lasting rain, but that has never been a problem for us even though the truck is parked outside any time and is used as our primary family vehicle.

I would buy that again!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is what I did and why................

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...bed-cover.html

Old 11-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Thought I would throw in my two cents.

I have had the Bakflip G2 for quite a while now. Few thoughts, rather negatives:

1. I haul my sport bike to the track a lot, I usually have to remove the cover so that my bike can move flush to the front of the bed and not push against the cover.

2. The screw holes where you love the arms on, those little round *****? Well, they are not galvanized or stainless, wish they were. If you are like me and use the truck to haul things and have to leave the Bakflip, well, flipped up, and you get some rain or whatnot. It will rust. And if you are not quick to move it down or dry it off, it will rust the screw on and wont be able to remove. So now, i am down to only one side that I can screw closed.

3. Never had an issue with leaks.

4. The locking system is ok. After a while, it does get a little loose. Not the locks, but the cables. I do note, that I do have to make sure that I life the last section before closing the lift gate so not to bend the back lip of the cover.

5. If you just flip one or two sections back and do not tie it down with a bungee cord, it does have the ability to clip closed while driving.

6. When driving with the cover flipped up, it 100% blocks rear view.

However, I am happy with it. Would buy another one again.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by beechkid
This is what I did and why................

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...bed-cover.html
I like it!

Old 08-31-2018, 08:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I had a Truxedo rollup cover. Now using a Rugged Liner.

Search this Thread