F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids (https://www.f150online.com/forums/bedliners-caps-tops-lids-32/)
-   -   Any suggestions on putting a rack on my shell (https://www.f150online.com/forums/bedliners-caps-tops-lids/504775-any-suggestions-putting-rack-my-shell.html)

Duckhunter150 05-09-2015 02:20 PM

Any suggestions on putting a rack on my shell

I'm lookin at putting a rack on top of my camper shell.

Can anyone give me some advice on what product to use. And what all I have to buy.

Bryan316 08-21-2015 03:07 PM

The top shell will need holes drilled, which means you'll need to make them weatherproof. So measure and align your holes carefully and accurately. Then you can use either rubber O-rings around each bolt, or caulking or a tube of liquid gasket maker. Blob it on in excess, and just wipe away the squeeze-out. I'd treat it like you were doing a faucet or a sink's drain, using plumber's putty.

Roadie 08-21-2015 08:24 PM

Does your shell have a reinforced top? The shell (don't know what brand, but a cheap one) I just sold did not but someone had installed ribs to support something on the top. The bolts for those ribs are painful to the head when I bumped them even though they were covered with RTV or something.

The shell I recently bought off craigslist is an ARE model and it appears to have a sheet of plywood molded into the top. It's a much better made shell.

theo45 09-03-2015 01:30 AM

I know some guys here have the ARE cap with yakima rack on top.

Bryan316 09-24-2015 04:38 PM

If you can find a store that sells Sex Bolts (sometimes called barrel bolts) then you can have both sides with flush surfaces and still have good holding power.

Do a quick Googling for sex bolts or barrel bolts, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

tcp2 09-28-2015 12:47 PM

I bought and installed rhino rack rails on the top of my Raider topper.

Rhino rack.

I have kayak mounts on the crossbars and transport our kayaks up there when towing our trailer.

I had to drill 5 or 6 holes through the topper for each rail. They came with plastic covered nuts that sit on the underside, inside the topper. They are 3/4 deep and don't cause any issue inside. You could even add some other mounts (for fishing rods, etc) to the same nuts inside. I don't keep the crossbars in place unless I need them. They remove in a couple of minutes.

Amazon sells all the rhino stuff at pretty good prices. Easy to install.

sscottyyess 01-21-2021 11:19 AM

hi thanks I am also curious about this. Can someone dumb this down for me? When I got to home depot or lowes, which screws/bolt do I need to get, which caulk, and glue? Noted that there are a million options and variations of things... and I am a newbie to this.

This is for mounting solar hardware on the top of the topper, which is fiberglass I think, with carpet liner on the inside

thank you!