Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Drop-In's still make bed rust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Drop-In's still make bed rust?

When I bought my truck new it came with a drop in but I wanted to ask if they still make the bed of the truck rust? I know a while back that would happen is it still a problem?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
They don't make the bed rust - directly anyway. As you drive, based on the way they are designed, they chatter and chafe, effectively sanding the high points of the bed. On a modern truck with galvanized steel, it problem isn't ever going to be a real issue... unless you like the paint on the bed.

Not necessarily the way most guys want to treat their truck.

Your Friendly Neighborhood DualLiner man!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the Ford dropin in my 06 from day one and in less than 9 months it had rubbed the paint off in over a dozen places. Rust had started to form on the surface of some of them and I had to prep them and touch them up. Thank goodness I got rid of it and got a real bedliner- the DualLiner.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 AM
HJ1
I had a ford drop in on my 97 F150. I had it for 10 years, and never had any rust problems. Of course I never took it out to check either though.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 AM
The only difference between a drop-in liner and sandpaper is that a drop-in takes a little longer to remove the paint.

Are there exceptions? I have no doubt there are, yet in every truck I've owned with a drop-in, there was some paint removal.......even with regular waxing.

My Ford actually developed some surface rust, which is why I removed the drop-in that came with it. What to replace it with? Well, I've recently surrendered to Bryndon's notion that the DualLiner is probably the best option when considering protection and cost relative to a spray-in, but then cost is an issue with the DualLiner as well. It's just too expensive for the components provided when compared with a drop-in. After all, a DualLiner goes for around $400. A drop-in can be had for around $150, and add in a rubber bed mat for $70 and you're just a little over half of what the DL system costs.

This is, of course, just my opinion. I've considered and priced all the options, and I feel that the DualLiner is the best overall available.

I just wish the price would come down to a reasonable level.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm be sure to get a spray-on bedliner soon.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you like the price of a drop in and the rust is your only issue a friend of my dad's has an interesting solution. He takes a tub of bearing grease and slathers it all over the box and throws the box liner in over top of it. He told me he has done this to all of his trucks and never has had a rust issue. I thought it was just crazy enough to work.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by ddgarcia05
Thanks for the replies, I'm be sure to get a spray-on bedliner soon.
Why would you prefer a spray-in? They look great, but have you actually priced a quality spray-in job? They're the priciest option available, and offer little dent protection to the side walls.
If you're thinking of going with an off-brand spray-in, I suggest you search this forum a bit for examples of folks having to strip them back out after a year because they simply don't hold up.
I've seen an ad for the DualLiner, I think with JC Whitney, for around $350.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
It's funny, I was reading a book recently and they were discussing price versus cost. The man that was quoted was named John Ruskin. Think about this as it is wise council:

"It is unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money. When you pay too little, you lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do."

There is miles of difference between DualLiner and a drop in with a mat. You just spent $10,000? $15,000? maybe as much as $50,000 for a truck. And then saving very few dollars to use an inferior product or for $400 or less you can protect it better than anything else on the market... not a tough decision really.

Take it to the ridiculous - Average Joe keeps his truck for 3 years. If you pay $100 price for bed protection, but your paint chafes off and your stuff slams around the bed, what is the real cost - damage to your truck and stuff gets expensive fast. The longer you keep the truck, the higher the cost because the damage continues. Now if the price is $400, but the protection protects your truck and cargo... your real cost is just $400 - no matter how long you own the truck. What would be worse is to cringe every time you wanted to load something into your truck, afraid you might hurt your "protection".

Sorry for the long winded reply... I've been really busy and haven't had time to drop in and visit.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
My drop in is completely fine, no rust, hell, it doesn't even get really dirty under there. I would imagine it has scuffed off some paint but will it matter in my life time? I doubt it. If I decide not to keep it and get a rug, great, paint it, no problem, but a spray in lasts forever if it bothers you. I got mine free so who argues that.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Would I have the best of both worlds with a thin DIY roll on liner under a drop in?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I have the original drop in still in my '91. It rubs through the paint in three places. Every year I take the bedliner out to check for rust and to hit the three spots with a little Rustoleum. Never has their been rust when I take it out.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 AM
The DIYs don't hold up very well, especially to the sanding effect. If you like the drop in, for about $50 you can get a mat pad that is designed to protect the paint. Just ask at a truck accessory store.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I have a Dualliner and I satisfied with it.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
I have a Dualliner and I satisfied with it.
Is your dual liner good at preventing the bed from being dented?

Quick Reply: Do Drop-In's still make bed rust?