Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a good bed cover for my '04 supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a good bed cover for my '04 supercrew

I am looking to purchase a bed cover for my supercrew and am leaning toward a retractable cover. I have considered the Retraxx, Roll-n-Lock, and the Peragon bed ocvers. I would like one that is secure, durable, weatherproof and does not take up a lot of bed space, as that is already prime real estate in my small bed space. Most of the time I would leave the cover closed, as I don't often haul items taller than the bed walls.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All those roller covers are not weatherproof. You would be better served getting an Undercover. I have had them on both my trucks and you can't beat them for ease of use and it only takes 2 people to remove it in a couple of minutes.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:00 AM
I have the Roll-n-Lock and it works great.I like the looks of the of the others but at times I need to haul something tall,I don't need to find someone to help me remove the top.If you are out of town and find something big too haul back home you can with a cover that slides back.You never know what you may load in your truck.That's my 2 cents.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Another vote for Undercover. I'm able to remove it by myself by sliding it toward me and then lifting it off. It isn't heavy just awkward.

Their service is 2nd to none and their product is great.

http://www.undercoverinfo.com

Old 12-15-2006, 10:22 AM
I had the same decision a while back and first purchased a fiberglass hard cover. Except I usually do not know when I will be hauling taller stuff. An example of this is I live outside Syracuse,NY and was traveling through Buffalo and my wife found something she wanted to buy, I actually had to drive home take the cover off and then drive back to Buffalo to pick up what she purchased. Luckily I purchased it locally and was able to return it. Know I have an Xtang RT and its working fine, but in hind sight I would of purchased the Access roll-up. If you don't normally haul tall stuff I would go with the undercover or other solid cover because in my opinion they look great, it just didn't work out for me. You just need to make sure that the cover you choose works for how you use your truck.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No cover company is going to guarantee their covers are waterproof. Covers that COVER the rails, such as the Undercover, might be the most water resistant type.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Top,

I had the same reservations with the UC. I've gotten stuck once or twice when an unexpected need came up (patio furniture and such)

I was able to leave the cover up. The other option I had was to pull the UC off and lean it on its side in the bed. Because of its design it doesn't really scratch, I'd never do that with a fiberglass version. It isn't an ideal solution but is possible. I thought long and hard about a soft cover for just the reasons you mentioned.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:04 PM
You may also want to consider the hard folding type, such as FoldACover.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:51 PM
One of many happy Undercover customers here!

Old 12-16-2006, 02:02 PM
I have the Retrax cover on my Supercrew. The bed stays dry with a little moisture right by the tailgate. Very secure and locks in any position.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 PM
I like my BAKFlip. I ordered one when they first came out last May. That one leaked. Sent an email to them a couple of months ago and told them what was going on and they wanted my address so they could send me a new one - I hadn't even requested a replacement yet. Anyways, the new ones have a better design and don't leak. Might get a few drips near the edges but the bed stays dry. I was totally impressed with their customer service too.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm leaning towards a BAK-Flip also, if I do a hard-type of cover. The Undercover and Duracover are nice pieces, but I use my truck bed a little too much to have to take one of those off and on. I've heard good things about the BAK-Flip.

If I end up doing a soft cover, I will undoubtedly go with the new Extang Express Tonno. I've installed one and they are NICE.

Last edited by F150BQ; 12-17-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:24 AM
I have not heard good things about BakFlip, such as rivits that did not penetrate all the way through and warped plastic panels.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Dang. I haven't had any negative feedback yet on BAK-Flip, but we just started carrying them last month. I heard about an older design that had been modified...thanks for the info.

I decided this morning to go with the Extang Express Tonno on my new Ford. I installed it this afternoon and I am VERY impressed. Extang has needed this cover for a couple of years now to compete with TruXedo, Access, etc. The Extang Express installed quickly with three clamps down each rail, which were already positioned and didn't have to be fiddled with. The cover is sharp, very taught, and is absolutely flat...none of that "Covered Wagon" crap. The tail rail seats nicely and everything is well-sealed. I give it an A+ for install, an A for looks (it could be a little lower-profile), and an A+ for ease of use. It rolls up and seals really nicely. With the tailgate locked, it's as secure as any soft cover is going to be.

I like it and would highly recommend it to anyone. When I can take pics, I will.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
I have not heard good things about BakFlip, such as rivits that did not penetrate all the way through and warped plastic panels.
Not sure about the rivets but the original one I had did not have good seals around the edges and the panels did seem to flex a little too much.

The new version has been complete redesigned. Good seals around all edges, hinge design is different and the panel material has changed also. So far I am happy with my new one.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good bed cover for my '04 supercrew