Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to add KC lights behind 04-09 grill "Step by Step"!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rush88GT
I have noticed that with the tube, there is a whistle now at 70mph+
Caulk/silicone the ends or cap them some how.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by XPerties
Caulk/silicone the ends or cap them some how.
So does tape.
I plan on plugging it with some rubber when i paint it.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:36 AM
Well folks, this be my first mod on this truck.

Basically, I took huge interest in this then phattacorider added his stabilization. I ran with his modification to the "Z"'d mounting system completely. I have yet to wire it, so I don't know how hard I failed at this attempt, but I had tons of 2" angle iron in the drive-way, so I only spent money on the lights.

Here shows what I did. We'll call the vertical on the angle "truck side"--horizontal "mounting side". I used a chop saw and made a cut 2" inwards on the mounting side (each side) not cutting all the way through. I then used a sawzall and cut a total of 1/2" down the length on the truck side. (1/4" on both top and bottom for centering purposes.) After cutting was done, I used a bench grinder to shave off a little/round edges/make pretty as possible.

Here is a test fit of the mount.

And a test fit of lights/see if I like the outcome.

Still have to paint and then wire when my switches arrive.

Please post opinions on this sucker.

Last edited by OklaF150; 03-10-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by OklaF150
Well folks, this be my first mod on this truck.

Basically, I took huge interest in this then phattacorider added his stabilization. I ran with his modification to the "Z"'d mounting system completely. I have yet to wire it, so I don't know how hard I failed at this attempt, but I had tons of 2" angle iron in the drive-way, so I only spent money on the lights.

Here shows what I did. We'll call the vertical on the angle "truck side"--horizontal "mounting side". I used a chop saw and made a cut 2" inwards on the mounting side (each side) not cutting all the way through. I then used a sawzall and cut a total of 1/2" down the length on the truck side. (1/4" on both top and bottom for centering purposes.) After cutting was done, I used a bench grinder to shave off a little/round edges/make pretty as possible.

Here is a test fit of the mount.

And a test fit of lights/see if I like the outcome.

Still have to paint and then wire when my switches arrive.

Please post opinions on this sucker.

Can you close your hook and give us a picture from the front looking into the grill. I'd like to know how leveled it looks with your emblem and other headlights.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by XPerties
Can you close your hook and give us a picture from the front looking into the grill. I'd like to know how leveled it looks with your emblem and other headlights.
Sure thing.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
These lights should be and option from the factory

Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OklaF150, I like your setup better than the others. Very simple and looks durable. Paint it and call it a day.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks, camlocker. I painted it AND called it a day.

I finally caught a day off to wire them. A month later... (A month with no day off is toture.)

Night time picture:

There's only slight vibration when I drive on these CRAPPY! Oklahoma roads, so it's not too bad.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Depending on your Watt's in your lights....and if you had that plastic grill right in front of it....would the lights not melt the grille slightly? I used to have 5 on top of my old truck and i know they got hot as heLL!

I thinks its pretty cool with the lights behind the grille, but would also think it would cause some damage with those high powered lights back there.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Whoops double post

Last edited by jhughes2013; 04-07-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I used 1/8" x 1.5" flat bar. 2 sides welded to one cross bar, drilled and bolted to the frame corner next to hood bump stop mounts and it does not move at all when I hit the washboard roads or trail. The sides are oriented long ways (parallel to the side of the truck) and angled back about 35 degrees. I did this a while ago and finally saw another truck the other day with them. It looks great. I don't get to see what mine look like while driving.

Skiptemp... Are you at Ft. Gordon? The F-150 I saw the other day looks just like yours.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 AM
^
you mounted mine like i did but our brackets are different but both are strong. I see like you like alot of people on here are just using the normal style KC lights. I used the KC slim lights on mine and it seem like i have way more adjustment than everyone else and mine sit back in farther so that the grill doesnt get hot from the lights being on even if the truck isn't running. Just thought i would share that the KC slim lights are the way to go.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Hughes. I noticed your drivers side fog light has what looks like dew. Got any solutions for getting that fixed, or just removing the fog light all together?....(my halogn bulb exploded inside of my fog lamp so now i have peices of the bulb rolling around)

Old 05-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by jhughes2013
I used 1/8" x 1.5" flat bar. 2 sides welded to one cross bar, drilled and bolted to the frame corner next to hood bump stop mounts and it does not move at all when I hit the washboard roads or trail. The sides are oriented long ways (parallel to the side of the truck) and angled back about 35 degrees. I did this a while ago and finally saw another truck the other day with them. It looks great. I don't get to see what mine look like while driving.

Skiptemp... Are you at Ft. Gordon? The F-150 I saw the other day looks just like yours.
YES! at least i was...now I'm in Iraq!!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice write ups to all. I'll have to see what kind of clearance I have behind my grille.

Quick Reply: How to add KC lights behind 04-09 grill "Step by Step"!