Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to swap outer door mirrors on 2004-2008 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torx size for the door crank?

Thanks for posting this. I bought my dad a set of replacement mirrors for his 2007 F150 XL. The original mirrors were too tall (or my dad is too short), and the mirrors really impair his vision at intersections. This is the set I purchased for $91 thru amazon, and they appear to fit his needs -> http://www.amazon.com/Street-Scene-9...2007&carId=004

Until finding this forum and your posting, I could not figure out how to remove the armrest. Other how-to's showed popping off the top half of the armrest and then unbolting it, but that was for a truck with electric windows and locks. My dad's does not have those features. I see yours is the same, and I won't have to remove the armrest.

I do have a question - the only torx I have are bits for a multi-head tool. The shaft of the tool is too fat to fit in the hole and the bits won't reach, thus I cannot determine what size torx it is. Guess I need to buy a set of torx screwdrivers (or just 1 if I can determine the right size).

Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Sorry for the late response, but I can't remember what size it was. Having a torx set comes in handy so it wouldn't be a bad investment for your toolbox.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Hey, thanks for tutorial. I had a question on size tho. I have an 05 xl with manual windows and the brackets holds the mirror from the bottom. Does the power ones still work? And it looks like they get smaller when they go to power or is that just the view of pictures?

Old 03-23-2012, 05:04 AM
Thanks for posting this. It really came in handy when I swapped my mirrors.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
This post also helped me when I changed the mirrors on my 2012 XLT. I replaced the stock mirrors with max towing mirrors for the Platinum. I did notice that the door panel is easier to remove. You do not remove the speaker or the speaker grill. You have 2 bolts on the bottom and the ones behind the handle and in the door pocket. Then just lift the panel up and off. The mirrors have 3 studs with nuts and one electrical connector.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:12 PM
I had the experience of having to do this today. I broke the passenger mirror pulling my trash can under it back in December. I bought a new pair of mirrors from eBay to replace both mirrors. The hardest thing about this was putting the door panel back on, I had a heck of a time trying to get the hooks back into their holes.

Quick Reply: How to swap outer door mirrors on 2004-2008 F150