Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How-To: Change your cluster color on 97-03

Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F150V6
Is there not a gear indicator in a white overlay? Or will the bulbs change that to blue? I have an 03 F150.
No, not that any of us are aware of as of yet, I did my shift tube a while ago and while I had everything apart i scratched off the green film from my gear indicator, Unfortunately, I don't know if an easy way to do the actual cluster overlays, just the pre-mentioned run engine and match needles to a picture routine.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM
my dashboard pannel lights just went out on my 1997 f150, this guide looks to be exactly what I need... it looks really well written, Thank you for taking the time!

Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi, just to be clear, the only bulbs you used were the #37 for the entire project?
Awesome write up by the way, I am gonna do mine once I get the bulbs.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:35 PM
This is awesome im going to be doing it today actually!

Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 AM
can't see photos

I've done this before but need to replace some bulbs. I can't see the photos. It's just easier with the photos. I didn't know if you knew they weren't displaying.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Does this work with 04'+
If not, can somebody reply with the thread that has this?
Thanks in advance

Old 11-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Thread for 2004+? Or will this work with this year?
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Step 3:

Remove you headlight switch. This is a tricky part, so I made a video of how to do it

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i89.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/Raptor05121/Write-Ups/MOV02935.flv">

Once that is done, you will have two harnesses plugged into the headlight switch. Take a flathead and pry the little red tabs out until they click and press and remove both harnesses.

Then remove the one screw behind where the headlight switch hides

Step 4:

Gently tugging at the piece that sits above your cluster, remove it and get it out of the way. As with the other pieces, sit it well out of your way. I put mine in my bed.

There is yet one more (what a suprise) screw hiding behind the left side.

Step 5:

Pulling rearward on the entire upper piece, it will snap out of place easily.

...leaving you this mess:

OCD'ers beware!

Step 6:

On the right side of the cluster are two more screws, with another two on the left side.

Step 7: Pull the entire cluster back a bit and unclip the three harnesses from the rear. The two side ones unclip from the bottom, with the larger center one having its clip on the top.

Turn over and locate the five black bulb connectors. They have "ILL" on the back to indicate which ones. These are your 194 holders. Twist them to the left (using a pair of pliars helps for the stubborn ones) just 1/4 turn and they will pop right off. Replace all of these with your LEDs and then locate the two smaller, white holders (37-type) also identified as "ILL". Twist these off and replace these.

NOTE: LEDs are simple positive/negative electrodes. Basically, you have a 50/50 chance of getting them in the right angle (pos to pos and neg to neg) the first time. Just put them all in and twist back to place. Just reinstall all three harnesses and plug in your headlight switch and turn on your parking lights to see which ones you got right and which ones you didnt. Unplug and simply reverse the sockets that didnt light.

Step 8:

Now that you have them all lighting, simply reverse the process stated above. Here's a rundown.

Plug back in the cluster and screw down with four screws.
Clip the large dash piece in place and screw down
Put the overhead cluster cover in place and screw in the three overheads
Screw behind the headlight harness and reinstall headlight harness
Pop in steering wheel surround.

Step 9:

If you wish to do your HVAC, its pretty simple.

Remove the four blue screws located in the third picture. Pull the controls back and you will see the two 194 bulb holders (black) in there. Just pop out, replace, and twist back in place. Screw down, and pop your bezel back in place after you screw your passenger airbag control back onto it.

And thats it folks! Wait until nighttime and light 'em up!!!

-Alex

Edit: Special thanks to 'thejake1989' for going the extra mile and doing a write-up on the headlight switch, heres a link for those willing to do this to compliment your new interior:

97-03 headlight switch blue led swap [write-up]

Old 11-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Does the 2004 have a green tint?
Originally Posted by fnnrNArnner74
Edit: This guy did a simple swap to blue LEDs even with his stock Ford green backing:

look at this post earlier.
you CAN do this on your 01 02 03 with the green film. also raptor said this as well in his first post.

Note: if you have a 1999-2003 (inc. 2004 Heritage models), the process stated below is the same for removing it. [except you will have two cables instead of three]. It should be noted that in 1999 Ford switched from a blue overlay to a straight green one. If you want another color, you can either continue to convert your LEDs to that color and overpower the overlay or you can use acetone and carefully rub off the green. I have not attempted it, but since I have a spare speedo in my garage, I will give it a shot and update this later. Additionally, 99-04 trucks use only SIX [6] T10 wedge (194 or 161-type) bulbs.

so botton line. just get BLUE leds and you should be fine. [/QUOTE]

Old 06-30-2015, 02:11 AM
if anybody needs ORIGINAL Ford cluster lights visit
http://www.speedometerbulbs.com/coll...rd-gm-chrysler

we have all bulbs for ford speedometers
thank you
-Bryan

Old 03-22-2017, 03:51 PM
I'm wondering, if I want to achieve a clean white look on my gauges would I have to remove the green film, or would a super white light power through that?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:08 AM
I got my instrument cluster changed to white finally. My problem now is that since I changed all of the warning light bulbs to LED as well, some of them are dimly lit whenever I have my lights on. And since I changed them, the battery indicator light has been on steadily. Anybody have a potential cause for this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-To: Change your cluster color on 97-03