Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 02:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Replacing you rear axle seals and bearings

This helpful guide with ease the process of this difficult task with pictures, detailed intrusions, and tools needed to complete the task.

Read full discussion for further information
Print Wikipost

How to replace rear axle seals and bearings in your 04+ F150 (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ill be doing the same to my truck. I was told there are inner and outer bearing .. How do i change the inner?

Old 05-21-2017, 08:12 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Quintin
You'll need a special puller and a slide hammer to remove the axle bearing.

The end of the puller hooks behind the bearing, then you tighten the nut up against the puller and start wailing away with the slide hammer. Note - I have yet to find an axle bearing puller that fits the 9.75 just right. You may not be able to find one either, if not, use the next smallest size. Sometimes the cage may come apart using the smaller puller, if so, no big deal, a three jaw puller can be installed that'll get the rest of the bearing race out. After the bearing it out, look down the tube to be sure no rollers from the bearing is still in there, then clean up the area where the bearing and seal goes with brake cleaner and some rags.

Here's a picture of the bearing puller installed. Note how there's still a gap around the black washer where you can see the rollers in the bearing. That's not how it should be, and I'm still on the search for a proper 9.75" axle bearing puller.

Ideally, this is how the bearing should come out.
Need to do this on my 2012 F-150 5.0 XLT. Please check the edited picture attached:

Do you eventually know the diameter of the bearing housing? I gotta buy the extractor, something like this one:

and there are multiple options, the biggest opening for the claws is 48mm, not sure is enough to engage the external part of the bearing.

Thank you.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Man how far I've come over the years

I tackled this job last month myself as I had a weeping drive side seal. Outstanding write up and also props to Ford tech Makuloco for his video. I had a quick tech line call to Patman but this job was easy.

I went from being timid years ago (2009) to barely letting anyone tuch my vehicles anymore. I overhauled the front end and brake system entirely as well. Truck is like brand new now.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:23 AM
My right rear axle seal was leaking on my 2002 F150 with the 8.8 rear, 219K miles - pretty badly before I figured out what it was. I first thought it was the caliper.

I replaced both left and right seals and bearings. Rear end was very quiet compared to the noise it was making before the repair. The right seal is leaking again though about a week after doing the repair, and the bearing is making more noise than it did before I did the repair. The left is fine. Any idea why that would happen? The axle shaft seemed to be okay.

I followed this procedure and I was surprised at how easy it was to do.
I rented the slide hammer tool from Advance Auto Parts and returned the same day.
I used Permatex "The Right Stuff" RTV. Was it unnecessary?

I did not put the pin back in during this procedure and did turn the right wheel which moved the spider gears out of alignment, but I just rotated the wheel back until the gears lined up again, so that part was easy.

Last edited by Marc Liebeskind; 01-29-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Thank you for the great write up. Now.. my issue. I did axle bearings for a friend. I didn't oil the new bearings when I installed them. Everyone now tells me I should have oil them before installing them and now they will be damaged. Help?

2nd issue. When taking out the driver side, the cage came apart and bearings shot everywhere. I never looked down the tube to see if any of the bearings went down the tube. What if one did go down the tube and now axle is installed and driving?

Old 11-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great info. I'll be replacing bearings and seals since the passenger side is whining like crazy (212K miles). My question is how to determine if the axles are worn and need to be replaced. Saw mention of checking for pitting, is there anything else to look for?

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-11-2020, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by martinten
This is a GREAT post. My right seal was leaking and I've saved ourselves $500 by doing it on my own. I'm no mechanic, but by following the instructions and pictures, was able to finish it in about 5 hours.
Thanks again!!!!!
does anyone know what type of rear axle does the 2018 f150 ecoboost have

Old 08-11-2020, 01:05 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Look at the rear cover. There are 3 choices - 8.8, "Super" 8.8, or 9.75.

Standard 8.8 is symmetrical, 10 bolts.

"Super" 8.8 is a bit different, 12 bolt:

9.75 is also 12 bolt, but shaped differently.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:13 PM
9.75 axle

How do I find out if I have a 9.75 axle? I have a 2004 f150 XL non-heritage model Nm. I have a 8.8 standard

Last edited by Gijoe84; 09-06-2021 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Deleted

Quick Reply: How to replace rear axle seals and bearings in your 04+ F150 (lots of pics)