F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Articles & How-To's (https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-s-119/)
-   -   Overhead Console Temp Display Repair (https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-s/400196-overhead-console-temp-display-repair.html)

Patman 04-19-2014 03:07 PM

Not sure on that one Tuff, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was true. Since the resistor consumes voltage to push through it. It is an electrical load on the circuit.

mack13 06-20-2014 12:51 PM

Resoldered and Now Good

I took the OH Console out of my new to me 2002 XLT because of the compass and OS air temp not working. I did find one the resistors to have a loose connection on one side. I basically resoldered all of the joints on the board. I still have some solder from 30 years ago when I worked for Teletype Inc. as a field tech. That solder has lead in it, and will definitely hold. Eazy Fix.

Re-installed and the unit now works perfectly.

As a side note, the person I bought the truck from said it quit working about 2 years after he bought it.

Thanks to all who responded on this problem.

TX Ranger 10-28-2014 10:54 AM

I'm sure it's been mentioned (not reading through 11 pages of this thread to find out), but it fit hasn't, try Patman's fix even if the resistor looks aok. Mine wasn't cracked, lifted, or leaning; it looked perfect, even under a magnifying glass. I dabbed on a little solder to make sure, bingo bango, problem solved. Thanks again guys.

G'dog 01-12-2015 05:11 PM

Great pics PATMAN!!! My '03 Lariat only has the compass overhead, but wasn't working for close to a year now. I followed your great pics, got out my small knife to test any loose resistors and had 2 of them, a 181 and a 510! Got out the trusty Weller iron and voila, compass!! You da man!! :bows::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Patman 01-12-2015 08:57 PM

Awesome! :rocker:

miker83 02-13-2015 05:14 AM

console temp display

Hey guys, I have a 2003 F-150 Harley Davidson edition pick-up and currently have the compass/temp display and I'm wondering if I can swap it for the fuel mileage display? Is it possible?

Jims327 03-01-2015 09:48 AM

Mine is out also, followed the procedures, (by the way, very nice), but I had no corrosion or visual defects that I could see, I have power at the circuit board but no display, the power button seems to work, I have a 2003 F150, planning on going to the junkyard and pick one up, just don't know what year would work, just the circuit board cause I might not get the right color match for the whole unit

LittleTow 03-01-2015 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jims327 (Post 5136785)
but I had no corrosion or visual defects that I could see,

Mine didnt have anything obvious either but I re-flowed the solder and its been working great ever since. May be worth a re-flow, you may be pleasantly surprised:-)

TX Ranger 03-02-2015 08:15 AM

Jim, did you try soldering? Mine looked perfect after a magnifying glass inspection as well. Little dab of solder fixed it up.

Steve83 03-26-2015 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tuff4rd (Post 5078194)
Pat, did the repair and now it is working, only problem is the resistor is getting hot to the touch. Is that normal?
TIA

Yes, that's what causes the factory solder to melt. To prevent a future repeat of the problem, add a big lump of new solder to the joint. It will act like a heat sink, keeping the joint cooler so it doesn't desolder itself again. Do that at BOTH ends of the resistor, but don't allow the lump to bridge (short) to any other trace or component on the PC board.

oibertjas 06-28-2015 01:36 AM

Overhead doors

I've noticed that ever since I took off both overhead doors (the sunglasses door and the other one), the console display is not working. Do you need either door to be installed in order for the display to work, or is the display broken? Thanks.

LittleTow 06-28-2015 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by oibertjas (Post 5155841)
I've noticed that ever since I took off both overhead doors (the sunglasses door and the other one), the console display is not working. Do you need either door to be installed in order for the display to work, or is the display broken? Thanks.

The doors have absolutely nothing to do with the functioning of the display. Perhaps the connector didnt get inserted all the way? Curious why you took them off...

Patman 06-28-2015 04:41 PM

Possible you just pushed the button too. But I agree the doors have nothing to do with the display

LittleTow 06-28-2015 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 5155901)
Possible you just pushed the button too. But I agree the doors have nothing to do with the display

Youre right, I forgot you could cycle through the menu, I just leave mine on all the time and have never turned it off.

oibertjas 06-28-2015 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by LittleTow (Post 5155872)
The doors have absolutely nothing to do with the functioning of the display. Perhaps the connector didnt get inserted all the way? Curious why you took them off...

I was going to repair them because both were falling off due to wear... it's just that I lost one and the other one I think is beyond repair...