Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to: Disable Perimeter Lighting (Save your HIDs!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also forgot too add that once you install the relay harness you can set the lights to auto, and no problems whatsoever

Old 10-22-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
how about just leaving the headlamps on the off position so they never light at all..
Even with the headlamps in the off position the perimeter lighting still functions. Before I got my HIDs I never used the auto setting, I'd always flip them on when I got in and off when I got out of the truck--they still lit up when I unlocked it.

Originally Posted by chupacabrainc
when you by an hid kit, buy a relay harness. The relay harness will eliminate any flickering issues.The lights come on like normal because instead of the ballasts pulling the power from the truck meaning the stock harness the relay pulls the power straight from the battery. The headlights usually flicker due to the lack of volts that's being sent to the ballasts.The harness costs like 25 bucks on ebay and it takes like 5 min. to install. The best part is you dont have to disable your lights.
It's not really the flickering that is the problem--more the short period they are on. They require a warm-up period to reach full brightness. They must cool down before they are restarted, then warm up again. I think it's called the restrike time (remember reading that somewhere).

So the constant on and off with the perimeter lighting greatly reduces their life due to the increased cycling.

Last edited by mblouir; 10-22-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mblouir
Even with the headlamps in the off position the perimeter lighting still functions. Before I got my HIDs I never used the auto setting, I'd always flip them on when I got in and off when I got out of the truck--they still lit up when I unlocked it.
Oh, didn't know that. I alweays use the automatic on mine, only time I ever touch the switch is to run the fogs & parking lamps in low lit daylight for safety. I noticed once with my switch in automatic & no fogs thats how it lit up when i unlocked but when i pulled the switch out the fogs lit also so I figured it could shut off the lights with then in the unlock & only light the interior domes.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I always wanted to know about that. when i pressed the unlock button and the hid's come on, one of them always flickered off. I never thought anything of that but thanks for sharing this post I'm gonna go out there and change um now.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Ok so i might have posted a bit to soon but i cant get my horn to chirp. i'm doing exactly what is said. can anyone give me a hand

Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by chris49
Ok so i might have posted a bit to soon but i cant get my horn to chirp. i'm doing exactly what is said. can anyone give me a hand
Two things to eliminate real quick:

1) Try using both the keyless fob and the door lock button. It's been so long since I did it I'm not 100% on which one I used. Pretty sure it was the fob.

2) Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but simple solutions are usually the answer. Honk your horn just to make sure it works.

If those don't work I'll help you out later as I just got to work.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir

2) Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but simple solutions are usually the answer. Honk your horn just to make sure it works.

That's funny the problem was i needed to use the button on the door and not the fob. finally no more flickering Thanks man

Old 10-23-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris49
That's funny the problem was i needed to use the button on the door and not the fob. finally no more flickering Thanks man
Thanks for the clarification. Someone else used the door lock, too. I've edited the OP.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Update

I used the Door lock. Success!
Is there a difference on 06 xlt's

Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Thanks Matt, I got it done today

Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM
For 2009s (page 137):
Enabling/disabling the perimeter lighting feature
Your vehicle comes with the perimeter lighting feature enabled. All vehicle doors must be closed before beginning the procedure. You must complete Steps 1–5 within 30 seconds, or the procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, you must wait a minimum of 30 seconds to begin again.
1. Turn the ignition to the on position, then press the power door control three times.
2. Turn the ignition to the off position, then press the power door control three times.
3. Turn the ignition to the on position; the horn will chirp to indicate the driver configuration mode has been activated.
4. Within five seconds, press the power door control two times. Note: One horn chirp should be heard, indicating the system has been disabled.
Conversely, a horn chirp followed by a honk will indicate the system is enabled. Pressing the power door control two times again will turn the feature on if it was previously off, or off if it was previously on.
Every two consecutive presses of the power door control after successfully entering the configuration mode will change the enable/disable condition of the feature.
5. Turn the ignition to the off position to exit programming. Note: After exiting the driver configuration mode, the horn will chirp once to indicate a feature has been activated/deactivated.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Just did this myself.

Thanks for the informative thread. Very helpful.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Have a write up for this on the OBS 97-03?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:35 AM
thanks man, I'll do it when my DDM kit comes in..

5k 55w heads.
5k 35w fogs.

ftw.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Did it on my 05 and had to use the door unlock button. Page 92 in the 05 manual if anyone is curious.

Quick Reply: How to: Disable Perimeter Lighting (Save your HIDs!!)