Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How To - Adding lights to interior light circuit

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How To - Adding lights to interior light circuit

There have been a few threads on this topic, and this weekend I got around to adding step lights to my running boards.

1. Get access to the factory wiring route to under the truck.
This is for those adding lights to the running boards or to the bed of the truck

1.1. Remove the sill plate cover. I used a plastic trim tool, I would strongly suggest getting a set if you are doing any amount of work on your truck. Several places on line have them. Even a plastic putty knife from HD or the likes is better then the screw driver in a rag method
Start from one end, and work you way to the other. There are 3 spring clips holding this down.

All the way off, you can see where the spring clips and alignment clips are at in this picture

2. Remove the door seal so you can take the kick panel out, to access the interior lighting circuit

3. Remove the kick panel driver's side
The access cover around the hood latch need to be removed.
I just pulled the center back, to release the clips top and bottom. This made the piece convex shaped, and the clips released ( the clips were narrower then the opening )

The kick panel is held in place by 2 springs clips, a locating pin on the kick panel, and a slide tab of sorts in the center.
Pull the kick panel towards the rear of the truck to release the spring clips, and slide forward to clear the locating pin and tab in the center of the panel

Spring clips, locating pin, and center mounting tab

Old 04-25-2009, 08:48 PM

4. Finding the Interior circuit in Connector C238
4.1. Locating Connector C238. This is the bottom connector on the A-pillar / truck cab wall. Circuit 53 is a black w/ light blue wire.

In the Connector C238, there are 2 Black w/ light blue wires. One is towards the outside of the truck, one is towards the inside of the truck. Circuit 53 is towards the outside of the truck.

The one to the inside of the truck is Circuit 875, DON'T use this wire.

The easiest place to add an inline splice is where the wiring runs up towards the interior light switch ( contained in the cluster / interment panel dimmer switch ). The way I found to trace the wires, is to cut the C238 cover ( taped to the wiring loom ) and following the wire up.
To gain access to the Connector cover, remove the hood latch by unbolting it, and sliding it off the A-pillar.

This is where I added the inline Tap for connection to the fuse, and on to the added LED step lights.

If you are adding more then a few LEDs, then this would be used for triggering a coil on a relay.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 PM

The access to under the truck is located under the carpeting on the driver's side. The plastic on the floor is for the floor mat mount, as a reference point to where this is located.

I just poked through the grommet with an awl, and pulled the wires back up into the truck.

Hope this helps with some trying a similar project.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
That's perfect man!!! Thanks for the write up!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 PM
I should have mentioned that we put some "BIG RIG" lights on my cousins 07 150 a couple of weeks ago and the black/blue stripe is what we used for the white lights when opening the doors and then ran wires to the parking lights for the amber turn signals.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...boss-hawg.htmlhttps://www.f150online.com/forums/me...bums-fawd.html

Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great write-up, SSCULLY! Going to move this one down to the How-To Forum!

-RP-

Old 08-15-2009, 03:55 PM
wow thanks for the help just finished under the dash lights and they look amazing great write-up

Old 12-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

Thanks much for the detailed description of adding lights to the interior light circuit. I was able to easily follow them when adding in floor lights. Appreciate the great info!

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont suppose you have the wiring diagrams for the OBS as well?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Dude,

You're the "Real Deal". Keep up the good work. This information is exactly what I've been looking for.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Hey sscully, There wouldn't happen to be an equal wire running down the passenger side too would there? If doing lights on both ends how would you suggest powering the pass side?

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 PM

I went under the dash, down the passenger side kick panel by the fuse panel, and under the truck in the door sill.

I wanted a single fuse for the running board entry lamps, so this was a no brainer for me.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:37 PM
I've gotta do this mod on my new 2010. Anyone know which wire (color) and location I could use? I guess I could look at the dome light wire and see if it follows down through the cable tray along the driver's door. Just hate having to spend $80 for a wiring diagram for this one job.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM

The late production 2009 MY had a connector in the driver's side kick panel for the Interior lighting that looks like it would do the trick for you.

This is the Gray with Violet stripe wire going to Front Dome lamps.

The other place would be the passenger side kick panel, in Connector C2280A, pin 2 for the output to the cargo lamps, White Wire

Quick Reply: How To - Adding lights to interior light circuit