F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Articles & How-To's (https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-s-119/)
-   -   Raptor's How-To: Paint Your Wiper Cowl (https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-s/367673-raptors-how-paint-your-wiper-cowl.html)

Raptor05121 01-10-2009 01:25 AM

Raptor's How-To: Paint Your Wiper Cowl

3 Attachment(s)
Raptor’s How-To: Paint Your Wiper Cowl

As done by Alex Melia

Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. I will not be held responsible for any vehicle or personal harm while attempting this modification yourself. Remember: Safety first!

As our trucks age, so do the plastic trim assorted around them by Ford. One of the most horrible looking areas to me was the wiper cowl and wiper arms in front of the windshield. This tutorial will give your cowl a nice glossy (or flat) appearance and replace that dull look with something new. Enjoy!

Tools Needed:
Pocket Knife
13mm wrench
32oz can of Krylon Fusion (Gloss/Flat) Black for Plastic
Masking Tape
Phillips #2 Screwdriver
Flathead Screwdriver

1.) Prep work for this project includes moving the truck into a shady area to begin with and access to direct sunlight later on. Start off by marking which wiper arm is driver’s side and which is passenger’s side. One has a “bend” to it with a longer reach. Proceed to use your pocket knife and using the indented area, pry off the rubber cap to the wiper arm pictured below. Once that is done to both sides, begin removing the plastic caps situated next to the wipers.

Attachment 35561

2.) Using the 13mm wrench, remove both wiper arms and set aside. Open your hood and locate the rubber seal seating the wiper cowl against the hood. Starting at one end, carefully pull upwards (skywards) and the little Christmas tree clips will give and zip out of their holes. Repeat this until the piece is separated from the truck.

Attachment 35562

3.) Gently lower the hood (not closing it) and retrieve your Phillips head
screwdriver. Located on both cowls are (I think) 9 screws. Remove as many as possible and look to see if you have missed any. Using the flathead, pry up both Christmas tree clips retaining both cowls. There is one on each side.

Attachment 35563

Raptor05121 01-10-2009 01:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 35564

4.) Your cowl should begin to move around. If possible, carefully pull off and remove at an angle. You may have to open your hood halfway.

Attachment 35565

5.) Moving into a different area, go ahead and get a water hose and some automotive detergent and wash both cowls to remove any wax or polish you may have used on it before hand. Also be sure to get the back side. Once complete, Set to dry for at least 30 minutes. Go grab some lunch.

Attachment 35566

Raptor05121 01-10-2009 01:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
6.) Verifying that both sides are COMPLETELY dry, move to a sunny area (if you haven’t already) and grab your masking tape. I used 1” 3M Blue Painters tape and while bending the rubber seal down, apply tape on it and get under the lip so paint does not get on the rubber. You should have something like this:

Attachment 35567

7.) Time for the important part. Put on a protective breathing apparatus or painters mask to avoid breathing fumes. Safety glasses may also be used to avoid eye irritation. Find a clean place to stand the cowl vertically. The tips on the Krylon Fusion cans can be adjusted for vertical or horizontal painting. Make sure the ends of the red tip are up/down. Holding away 6” from the cowl, press the trigger and do slow passes back and forth, releasing as you move from pass to pass. Flip 180 so it standing on its head and repeat. Twist it over on its backside and repeat. I used gloss on mine. You should have something like this:

Attachment 35568

Attachment 35569

Raptor05121 01-10-2009 01:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 35570

Attachment 35571

8.) Setting those aside in the sun to dry, you may also want to paint the arms to match. Begin by hanging them (convenient, huh?) and twisting the tip of the spray can for horizontal shooting. Holding 6” away, move up and down, careful to avoid running the paint.

Attachment 35572

3 Attachment(s)
Don’t forget to get both sides

Attachment 35573

Attachment 35574

9.) Reinstallation: After allowing at the minimum of an hour to dry, we can start putting these back on. Start by opening the hood and sliding the cowls back into place. Being hand-screwing all the screws back and and once you have all of them in their holes, tighten them down. Be careful not to over tighten!

Attachment 35575

3 Attachment(s)
10.) Using your thumb, reinstall the Christmas tree clips back into their holes.

Attachment 35576

Attachment 35577

Reinstall the cowl/hood seal

Attachment 35578

Raptor05121 01-10-2009 01:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 35579

11) Reinstall the wiper arms. Since they have nicks for a secure grip, it may require you to readjust several times to have them seat properly when in resting position. I found it easy to apply the arms, screw the nut on one turn, and you can move the arm as freely as you like without worrying about it jumping off. Securely tighten down once positive of seating position and reapply cover cap.

12.) Close the hood and enjoy another job well done!

Attachment 35580

If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact me at: Raptor05121@yahoo.com.

che22879 01-10-2009 01:44 AM

man you stay busy with your truck!

Stealth 01-10-2009 02:28 AM

Much better!

2005_SilverF150 01-10-2009 03:22 AM

That looks like a good idea. I like the idea of painting it a really glossy black because I'm always covering that part of my truck with Armor All because it looks so much better all clean and shiny.

Good, easy mod! :thumbsup:

cH1rO420 01-10-2009 03:55 AM

Dammit dude, you keep giving me ideas of what to do with my truck! That looks way better, Now I want to do that real soon... plus my bumper, my bed rails, my rear plastic thingy that covers the rear window... NICE JOB and thanks for the write up! Definately have to do these soon. Btw did you thought about using clearcoat I've seen people suggesting this done on the bumper.

Fifty150 01-10-2009 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is that a Gerber?
Attachment 35581

Fifty150 01-10-2009 06:26 AM

I carry the Benchmade AFO

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecent...es/9050sbk.jpg

NCSU_05_FX4 01-10-2009 09:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
FYI, you should really put a coat of clear on before reinstalling.

I painted mine last summer, and I only cleared one side, I wanted to see if it made a difference, and at this point it has. Paint is starting to come off the side that was not clearcoated.

You can see how bad the cowling looked in this pic (it was also pollen season)
Attachment 35582

and how it looks after painting.
Attachment 35583

- NCSU

Raptor05121 01-10-2009 06:26 PM

Well I didnt want it glass shiny, so I just stuck with the paint. So far it's been over a year since I've done this and its still holding up. If it starts peeling, its prolly cause you didnt use the Krylon Fusion FOR PLASTIC. I made that mistake and my first can started peeling ASAP.

Fifty150, I am not sure what brand my knife is. My dad gave it to me one day, so I dunno.