Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Have you not changed your fuel filter in awhile? Fuel filters are probably the most neglected preventative maintenance. Fuel filters screen out dirt and rust particles that may have gotten into your fuel tank or lines. Clogged fuel filters can add a variety of issues to your vehicle and extra wear to your fuel system.

Read the full discussion below to find out how to replace your fuel filter.
Print Wikipost

2004 - 2008 Fuel Filter Change With Pictures

Old 06-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 - 2008 Fuel Filter Change With Pictures

So I had an unexpected day off today and decided to go ahead and knock out a fuel filter change on my 05 Lariat with 29,000 miles. It's a very straightfoward job, anyone with a little mechanical ability should have no problems with this.

*Disclaimer- The following procedures were conducted without an official service manual. Use the information at your own risk.

Step 1: Assemble parts/tools

Fuel Filter
Fuel line disconnect tool
Flat tip screwdriver
Rags
Safety glasses

My local dealership parts counter had both the filter and the disconnect tool. To my suprise a spare clip did not come with the filter . More on that later......

Old 06-20-2007, 11:10 PM

If you are not sure where to look for the filter, it is here- mounted to the inside of the frame on the driver's side.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:25 PM

Step 2:

Let the truck sit for a few hours to bleed off some fuel pressure. There will still be some leakage, but it won't be a geyser of fuel spurting out.

Disconnect orange clip from fuel line connecting the fuel tank to the filter. I used a flat tip screwdriver. The clip removal should be done very carefully, as it is very fragile and doesn't want to come out easily. Why ford did not include a new one with the filter is beyond me. This isn't a part that should be re-used. When I do this again I will have a spare ready to go on.

Once the clip is removed the fuel line will come off. Push the line up over the frame to keep it out of the way. Be ready with a rag to catch leaking fuel.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 PM

Step 3:

We will now disconnect the forward fuel line from the filter. There is a safety clip that must be removed first. Pinch the front portion of the clip (as shown) to unlock the clip's "jaws". Push the clip back towards the filter and then spread it out to free it from the coupling. Take it off the line or move it forward out of the way.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SVT Pilot

Extremely interesting....neither my truck (2004) nor my dads truck (2005) have the rubber line piece with the orange clip. Our fuel line is connected to the filter at the blue clip (which runs all the way to the filter...not 12in or so away from it).

I know a lot of other peoples are that way too because you here them talk about breaking the blue clips.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 PM

Step 4:

Insert your disconnect tool into the coupling. I had to use the small end of my particular tool, others may vary. Once inserted, push the tool away from the filter until the coupling releases. Use your other hand to pull the line free from the filter. Again, have a rag ready to catch excess fuel.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:42 PM

Step 5:

The filter is now technically "free", but the bracket is rediculously tight. I am convinced this truck could be driven off a cliff and demolished, but the fuel filter would still be snug in it's bracket . I had to use one hand to pull back one side of the bracket while using the other hand to ease the filter out.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:46 PM

Step 6:

Reassemble in reverse order. Everything snaps together, and you should hear a click when the forward line is connected to the filter. I primed the new filter with a few turns of the key but it may not have been necessary. Start her up and check for leaks.

Thanks for reading, and please don't pay someone to do this if you don't have to.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by RamSS/T
Extremely interesting....neither my truck (2004) nor my dads truck (2005) have the rubber line piece with the orange clip. Our fuel line is connected to the filter at the blue clip (which runs all the way to the filter...not 12in or so away from it).

I know a lot of other peoples are that way too because you here them talk about breaking the blue clips.
Interesting indeed, when I looked under the truck I couldn't understand needing to mess with the blue clip. Maybe there was a change sometime in 2005, or maybe it has to do with the engine or fuel tank option?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 PM
My 05 is the same as shown.

svtpilot, did you cut open the filter to see how bad it looked?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Budha05STX
My 05 is the same as shown.

svtpilot, did you cut open the filter to see how bad it looked?
No, but since I buy the cheapest 89 octane in town it would probably be a good idea. Now I'm curious...........

Old 06-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Interesting indeed, when I looked under the truck I couldn't understand needing to mess with the blue clip. Maybe there was a change sometime in 2005, or maybe it has to do with the engine or fuel tank option?
Both of ours are Lariats Screws with 5.4s and his was made toward the end of the 05 production year...so I dont know.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by RamSS/T
Both of ours are Lariats Screws with 5.4s and his was made toward the end of the 05 production year...so I dont know.
Maybe this explains why there's no clip in the box. I guess they don't want someone jamming a blue clip where an orange one should go, and vice-versa. God forbid they include both clips in the box .

Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 AM
No, but since I buy the cheapest 89 octane in town it would probably be a good idea. Now I'm curious...........

Old 06-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford has been known to use different parts at different plants for an otherwise identical vehicle... Prime example: My truck was built at the Dearborn plant. Instead of using a normal wire loom and grommet going from the cab to the front doors, they used a 'plug' type of connector. Come to find out, only the Dearborn plant used that part. The other plants used the normal loom and grommet setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 - 2008 Fuel Filter Change With Pictures