Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*
Old 04-13-2015, 12:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Have you not changed your fuel filter in awhile? Fuel filters are probably the most neglected preventative maintenance. Fuel filters screen out dirt and rust particles that may have gotten into your fuel tank or lines. Clogged fuel filters can add a variety of issues to your vehicle and extra wear to your fuel system.

Read the full discussion below to find out how to replace your fuel filter.
Print Wikipost

2004 - 2008 Fuel Filter Change With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW - anyone know what the second line is, just under the fuel filter??? Is it a fuel return line so the pump can prime the lines?

After changing my filter, I turned the key to the run position for about 30 secs. Then I started it and it fired right up and ran without any hiccups... so somehow the fuel system removed the air. This makes me think the second line must be a return line, no?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Need help

Originally Posted by SVT Pilot
Step 4:

Insert your disconnect tool into the coupling. I had to use the small end of my particular tool, others may vary. Once inserted, push the tool away from the filter until the coupling releases. Use your other hand to pull the line free from the filter. Again, have a rag ready to catch excess fuel.

How the F' does this work! "Push the tool away" im bending my tool trying to get the line off. can somebody explain to me what im doing wrong ASAP? I have the same tool and doing exactly whats in the pic. the damn thing doesnt make sense to me...

Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Have you removed the metal retainer clip first???
If yes, slide the tool in as far as it will go and then try pulling on the line while you push on the tool... maybe that will work?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
I had the same problem. I removed the metal retainer clip and pushed on the fuel line with the tool until I thought the tool was gonna bend or I was gonna damage the fuel line. I then removed the fuel line from the plastic retainer clip thats located to the right of the bend, it gave the line more slack and I was able to remove it from the filter.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great post... copying this to the HOW-TO section....

Old 01-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The maintenance schedule calls for a new fuel filter every 15,000 miles. For a lot of us, that is about once a year.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Which disconnect tool size?

OEM 25043 Fuel Line Disconnect Tool

The scissor-like design on this Fuel Line Disconnect Tool allows for easy, damage-free fuel line quick disconnect coupler release. Simply place the tool around the fuel line and push into the female connector to release the male connector. Fits any 5/16-inch or 3/8-inch fuel line found on GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles.

OEM 25042 Air Conditioner/Fuel Line Disconnect Tool

The scissor-like design on this Air Conditioner/Fuel Line Disconnect Tool allows for easy, damage-free fuel line quick disconnect coupler release. Simply place the tool around the fuel line and push into the female connector to release the male connector. Sizes: 3/8-inch, 1/2-inch, 5/8-inch and 3/4-inch.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the little plastic selection of AC/fuel line disconnect tools, work the same way. I had a pic of them on the filter in my old gallery here (which are temporarily disabled) so I had to upload into PB.

Name:  fuelfilter003.jpg
Views: 8011
Size:  165.5 KB

Last edited by Stealth; 01-25-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did this change this morning, and my experience was a little confusing at first, but once I seen the end of the fuel line that runs to the engine from the filter, it all makes sense.

The line after the filter (goes to the engine) has a flared metal end on it, with 3 metal prongs inside it that hold the line on to the fuel filter. What that fuel line tool does is lift those prongs away from the raised edge of the fuel filter outlet line, that's it. (see picture above, see that little raised ring around the outlet?)

Just push the tool into the flared end of the fuel line and stop. Leave in place, then by hand, push the line off at the bent metal elbow, it comes off real easy this way, at least for me.

DO NOT TRY TO PUSH THE FUEL LINE OFF WITH THE TOOL. It won't work because of the raised edge on the fuel filter outlet will stop the tool in its tracks

If anyone has an orange clip on their fuel line leading into the filter from the gas tank, like mine, all you have to do is push on it with your finger, and it releases the fuel line from the filter.
(My truck was assembled in Virginia, don't know if these different type of clips are specific to each assembly plant or not)

Also, I would like to add, this is probably the first time this filter was ever changed on my truck (67,000 miles) and the gas that came out the tank end of the filter was almost black, with a lot of grit. Thank god for this site, and all the people out there who remind people like me that these things need to be done more often than most people realize. Truck purrs now with no hick-ups, even while idling.

Last edited by jntibs; 04-05-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 PM
What is the best way to get blue clip off?

Old 05-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Guys I got the blue clip off no problem with a fuel filter tool but I cant get the other side off, I already have the safety clip off just cant get the fuel line out of the filter, help!

Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Jza
Great DIY!

Just did this on my truck. DO NOT attempt without that little tool. You will need it, $10 well spent!

With the tool in hand it took me all of 5 minutes!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Heres a tip for you guys when changing your fuel filter. I dont have pics right now, but i could go snap a few if you guys need it. On the outside of the fuel rail in the same spot, you will find a little plastic case covering some wires. If you pull off the plastic thing, it will reveal 2 connectors. Start the truck up, and unplug the bottom one while its running, thats the fuel pump power. The truck should start to sputter and eventually stop from lack of fuel. Hit the starter a couple more times to be sure you got as much out of the lines as possible. There will always be some in the line, but this should help you all save a couple pennys

Edit:

Oh, and after you install your new fuel filter, be sure to plug that plug back in Your truck should start right up. I leave it in the ON position to let the pump prime up a little bit for hitting it to start.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
The only place I see a plastic protector for some wires is farther toward the front around the bend. It looks gray in color and about the diameter of a large cigar. Is that it?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Rackemup
The only place I see a plastic protector for some wires is farther toward the front around the bend. It looks gray in color and about the diameter of a large cigar. Is that it?
oh no no no, its a big ish plastic cover right where the fuel filter is, just on the outside of the frame, drivers side, where the fuel filter is on the inside of the frame. sorry i forgot to take pictures. il try to remember for tomorrow this time

Quick Reply: 2004 - 2008 Fuel Filter Change With Pictures