How much to fix these dents and scratches

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much to fix these dents and scratches

This is my 2009 f150 has just 2 dents/ scratches wondering how much your average body shop would cost to fix it

Old 03-07-2019, 01:52 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Have you taken it to a body shop to get an estimate?

Old 03-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No not yet was just wondering the bumper has gotten some surface rust and ill probably have to get a new chrome trim piece

Old 03-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would start with ScratchX. The chrome trim may need to be replaced.
You may find need for some touch up paint on the bed side. The front bumper may need more? Crinkle coat it.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
You can fix this yourself. I had similar damage on both bumpers on my old 2005 King Ranch. I filled a similar dent with Bondo and then sanded it down so that it "feathered" in to the surrounding area. I used a sanding block and hand sanded it in the last stages to match the curvature and to remove the "patch" effect. Then, I sanded the entire bumpers and sprayed several coats of filler primer (sanding between coats) over the bumpers. It's important you allow long drying time between coats because the primer will shrink a bit during drying and will "sink" in to the gouges. You need to have a final primer coat surface that is absolutely smooth and shows NO pits or patched areas. I used Rustoleum primer for this step.

Then, I sprayed several color coats over the primer, sanding in between with very fine sandpaper. Again, this is hand sanding and you have to be resist the temptation to be too aggressive. I have been very happy with paint products from this source: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/?A=...otivetouchup_e They have much better products than what you find in Automotive stores. I used a similar process on a badly scratched fender and had good results. When I traded my truck in for my current one, I got the trade-in value I wanted for a vehicle in "Excellent" condition.

You can use touch up paint on scratches and road rash if you apply it carefully and then blend it in to the surrounding area with rubbing compound. I think you'll have to replace the metal trim on the fender flair, but that should be easy.

- Jack

Old 08-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
IMO that's a $1200 to $1600 repair job if they match the paint and add the clear coat. But Jackandjanet is exactly right, you can do the work yourself and it will cost you less than $200 for all of the materials and hand tools if you already have DECENT compressor. Paying someone else doesn't buy reliability unfortunately. If I want RELIABLE then I do it myself. JackandJanet is also right, no one will attempt to fix that trim. It will have to be replaced.

That paint looks pretty faded. Matching it might be a problem and you may end up having to get all or most of the vehicle repainted. I expect that if you take a close look, you'll find a lot more small dents and dings that you'll want to fix and repaint at the same time.

You (OP) doesn't have to try to make this look like it never happened. He could sand out the rust, prime the metal and pull out the worst of the dent, bondo in the rest of it, then sand it smooth, mask it off with tape and newspaper and repaint it using a rattle can and it would look 500% better even though it would still be visible within five feet. Materials would only cost about $30 and he should be able to do it in less than two hours. Just spraying paint over that rust and those big white streaks and not doing any repair at all would still be a 200% improvement.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Moroz
1200-1600 dollars? This is crazy money for such scratches о.О
Yeap, that's why a lot of us are DIYers.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: How much to fix these dents and scratches