Go Back  F150online Forums > Body > Appearance Products
How much to fix these dents and scratches >

How much to fix these dents and scratches

Old 03-07-2019, 12:21 PM

This is my 2009 f150 has just 2 dents/ scratches wondering how much your average body shop would cost to fix it

Old 03-07-2019, 01:52 PM
glc
Have you taken it to a body shop to get an estimate?

Old 03-07-2019, 02:03 PM
No not yet was just wondering the bumper has gotten some surface rust and ill probably have to get a new chrome trim piece

Old 03-07-2019, 02:53 PM
I would start with ScratchX. The chrome trim may need to be replaced.
You may find need for some touch up paint on the bed side. The front bumper may need more? Crinkle coat it.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Global Moderator &
You can fix this yourself. I had similar damage on both bumpers on my old 2005 King Ranch. I filled a similar dent with Bondo and then sanded it down so that it "feathered" in to the surrounding area. I used a sanding block and hand sanded it in the last stages to match the curvature and to remove the "patch" effect. Then, I sanded the entire bumpers and sprayed several coats of filler primer (sanding between coats) over the bumpers. It's important you allow long drying time between coats because the primer will shrink a bit during drying and will "sink" in to the gouges. You need to have a final primer coat surface that is absolutely smooth and shows NO pits or patched areas. I used Rustoleum primer for this step.

Then, I sprayed several color coats over the primer, sanding in between with very fine sandpaper. Again, this is hand sanding and you have to be resist the temptation to be too aggressive. I have been very happy with paint products from this source: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/?A=...otivetouchup_e They have much better products than what you find in Automotive stores. I used a similar process on a badly scratched fender and had good results. When I traded my truck in for my current one, I got the trade-in value I wanted for a vehicle in "Excellent" condition.

You can use touch up paint on scratches and road rash if you apply it carefully and then blend it in to the surrounding area with rubbing compound. I think you'll have to replace the metal trim on the fender flair, but that should be easy.

- Jack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much to fix these dents and scratches

Sponsors

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: