Shaving the tailgate on my 2011 F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaving the tailgate on my 2011 F150

I am in the process of shaving the tailgate on my 2011 F150 ECOBOOST. Finished the handle by fabricating a filler plate, making the filler plates now for the ford oval and F150 emblem....more pics to come.....

Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice!

Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Cool! One thing on my very to-do list... Keep us updated!

Old 10-29-2011, 03:27 AM
It looks nice! But I think you should keep the ford emblem...

Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Filler work almost done, hope to have it painted at the end of the week

Old 11-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Putty over paint..... and on your own truck even. Tsk Tsk Tsk.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 AM
cant wait to see the turnout!..and im glad you kept the body lines, it would have looked funny completely smooth

Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Putty over paint..... and on your own truck even. Tsk Tsk Tsk.
There is nothing wrong with filler over paint it helps to reduce paint edges by allowing everything to feather and with the filler out today it is ok. If you don't mind me asking what do you do for a living?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Nice! Looks good so far.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by slammed65
There is nothing wrong with filler over paint it helps to reduce paint edges by allowing everything to feather and with the filler out today it is ok. If you don't mind me asking what do you do for a living?
I'm a bodyman. Have been for nearly 20 years. I am aware that it is deemed "OK" by the reps, but it is not recommended. Nowhere on the can, or on it's product sheet will you find it saying it is recommended. It promotes sinking, and is a bad idea, if you can avoid it. Especially on a black truck.I wouldn't do that to my truck, and I wouldn't do it to any customers truck. Anyone who has told you it is ok is a salesman. It is a bad practice, but heh, it's your truck. I'd still cut out the paint under it and re-putty it before I primed it. That would never fly in my shop. I'd be fired.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
I'm a bodyman. Have been for nearly 20 years. I am aware that it is deemed "OK" by the reps, but it is not recommended. Nowhere on the can, or on it's product sheet will you find it saying it is recommended. It promotes sinking, and is a bad idea, if you can avoid it. Especially on a black truck.I wouldn't do that to my truck, and I wouldn't do it to any customers truck. Anyone who has told you it is ok is a salesman. It is a bad practice, but heh, it's your truck. I'd still cut out the paint under it and re-putty it before I primed it. That would never fly in my shop. I'd be fired.
I am a bodyman too been doing it for almost 15 years so not my first go around at this. Built a lot of customs and have never had an issue. The same goes for primer and if you had an issue after paint prep and had to reapply filler would you take all the primer off or go over the primer?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I do agree with you that the z grip and rage are to be applied straight to metal but we use quantum 1 and it was designed to go straight over paint. It bites better and finishes better when done that way. Now if you want to go by the book proper way is to take it all down to bare metal and apply an epoxy primer then do your filler work, you should actually not apply straight to bare metal because the bond does not seal and protect against rust to the metal underneath.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by slammed65
I am a bodyman too been doing it for almost 15 years so not my first go around at this. Built a lot of customs and have never had an issue. The same goes for primer and if you had an issue after paint prep and had to reapply filler would you take all the primer off or go over the primer?
http://www.evercoat.com/imgs/pis/PIS...%2012-2010.pdf

Although it does state that OEM paint is an approved substrate, the instructions for use clearly state :

PREPARATION:

 Clean and degrease the entire panel to be repaired with soap and water, followed by wax and grease remover or a cleaning solvent. Thoroughly dry surface before repairing.

 Keep the repair area small. Sand the repair area with 80 grit sandpaper, removing the paint.

 Use 180 grit sandpaper to sand and featheredge the paint.

Like I said earlier, I don't know of a single solitary product that recommends you use it over paint. I do know that some shops spray a epoxy before filler, but I am yet to find a product that in black and white recommends this practice either. I'm sure that by the time you are done, all will look just fine. To each his own. If you can provide a product sheet that you are using that states it is best to apply the putty directly over feathered paint, I will gladly eat my words. I would love to learn something here. I don't by any means know, or pretend to know it all. I do however think that I would do it differently.

What sort of issue could you have after paint prep? If a problem was found, it would only be after a long board was to have boarded off all the primer anyways. As long as there was primer on the area, I would work the primer. If after that, the primer showed problems, and I was through it anyways, then I would feather the primer back out of my way yes.

Putty over paint causes sinkage issues. Especially on a black truck, which makes everything more visible. You know that better than most around here.

Nice weld job by the way. Your patch panel looks fantastic in pictures.

Peace.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Thank you for the info. It is always nice to get a diff opinion on procedure and we can always learn new things. We prob are some of the few who actually know what we are doing and don't pretend to know to make ourselves look cool. Again I appreciate your response.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looking good so far

Quick Reply: Shaving the tailgate on my 2011 F150