F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Appearance Products (https://www.f150online.com/forums/appearance-products-48/)
-   -   Those with BUGFLECTOR II please read... (https://www.f150online.com/forums/appearance-products/45396-those-bugflector-ii-please-read.html)

SCOOBY14B 07-13-2001 09:07 PM

Those with bug deflectors please read...

I installed a bugflector II (color matched) last night. It seems to be rubbing slightly on the grill around the center of the hood. Is this normal. I have installed masking tape to try to limit to rubbing. Is there anything I can do to eliminate this. I just got my truck back yesterday from having the grill painted from scratches that I put on while installing my L lights. I dont wanna do it again.
Thanks.

MisterP 07-13-2001 09:17 PM

You are in for more than scratches. The top of my grill actually has small divots taken out of it from the deflector rubbing.

SCOOBY14B 07-13-2001 11:52 PM

So what do y'all recommend? I already have a chip from a rock in the front of the hood? Should I take it off or leave it or is there some other preventative measure I can take?

harleyrules 07-14-2001 02:41 AM

I install velcro and my grill surround, the soft part of it, I haven;t had any marks left on my truck. I have done this on every F150 I have owned (4)....Better then masking tape : )

Indyfan 07-16-2001 11:18 AM

I have the same problem at the ends of the deflector. I noticed that if I'd attached the corners a little bit farther up the hood it wouldn't have touched anything. You might look into re-positioning the deflector if it's still an option.

tfratzke 07-16-2001 12:40 PM

You need to install the rubber pads to the top of the grill!!!! Just ask me...i didn't at first until i found out the nnot-so-nice paint removal that was occuring. After i put the pads on, no more rubbing. Otherwise the velcro or a heavy foam weather stipping along the entire top works great too.

Tony

dogcam 07-16-2001 12:48 PM

I was just about to buy one of these, I think I'll take my chances with rock chips..
Thanks for the info:D

HD2NV89 07-16-2001 06:18 PM

Bought a HD deflector from Ford, ended up taking it off since it was to hard to clean under and to much trouble to take off and put back on each time. Will also take my chances with the chips.

hmustang 07-16-2001 06:39 PM

I guess I need to take a good close look at my grill latter to see if I have any damage from mine its been on for the last year.

hmustang 07-17-2001 05:47 PM

I looked and only seen a couple of scratches on the top of the chrome surround but you don't see them with the hood closed.

King James 07-18-2001 06:23 AM

Had a bug deflector on mine. It was there when I bought the truck. I have since removed it. I think it looks better w/o it. There are spots on the grill where it was rubbing. Can't remember what brand it is but I have it sitting in the bed of the truck and I have no idea how long it will be there.

FamilyRide 07-19-2001 11:37 PM

Mine too rubs a little. At the ends and a little in the center. I agree, they give you the bumper pads for a reason. I finally put mine on after the scuffing.

By the way, anyone have one crack? Mine has started cracking from near a screw, up around to the top. Not moving much but I've never seen one do that. Oh well, at about $35 I'll replace it if I need to. :D

mattadams 07-20-2001 04:08 PM

I know its not polite to "dis" what other people have on their vehicles, but on my 98 F-150 I had a bugflector II bug deflector and I found the quality to be very poor, as well as similar paint rubbing. I could not relocate it so it wouldn't rub off the paint on the hood, and eventually got pissed, uninstalled it, snapped it in tow, and threw it at the garbage can.
ANYWAYS... I couldn't relocate or place anything in the way to stop the rubbing that wouldn't damage the hood itself. I ended up selling that truck minus the bug deflector with the paint touched up, and on my new F-150 I installed a Lund which I've been quite pleased with. On my Explorer I installed the bugflector II bug deflector and found it to be a piece of crap as well. It's currently sitting in the garage, next to the trash can, just waiting ot be tossed. Live and learn.

slapshot 07-22-2001 12:22 PM

I have the Lund Interceptor on mine. It did the same thing, but it actually wore into the top op the grill surround. All I did to fix it was take my trusty Dremel a grind down the corner of the deflector that was rubbing. Was a very easy 10 minute fix.

NTGURU 07-24-2001 02:41 PM

The first Bugflector II (color matched)that I got was the one with the 2 sided tape and screws. It had cracks out of the box and would not fit right. The hood would not close at all. I sent it back and they sent me another one that was designed to fit in factory holes already in the hood (under 2 minutes to install) with some plastic grommets. It fits perfect and does not rub.;)