F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Appearance Products (https://www.f150online.com/forums/appearance-products-48/)
-   -   So about this Rustoleum Bedliner spray..... (https://www.f150online.com/forums/appearance-products/453387-so-about-rustoleum-bedliner-spray.html)

Fish Chris 07-22-2011 12:52 AM

So about this Rustoleum Bedliner spray.....

I tried to read that whole thread "Rustoleum Spray on Bed Liner/ Rockers and Bumpers Done!"...... But talk about a novel ! (so I decided to write my own :) LOL

Anyway, I just had my first experience with the stuff yesterday. Refinished my black step bars. Never liked the finish on them in the first place.... and 3 years later, they were chipped, faded, and rusting.

So, the first point of interest; A young guy (okay, he was a Chevy guy, so what would he know :)) at Home Depot suggested I use Rustoleum wheel well liner, as the primer coat. I read on the can that it could be painted over. It also says the same thing on the Rustoleum bedliner spray, so I was pretty confident it would work well together.
And geeeez ! That wheel well stuff went on kind of like a blackish brown tar oil ! Like the stickiest stuff on the planet ! It also said "rubberized" on the can, so I can't imagine it ever "chipping" off, per say.
Sprayed the bedliner stuff on top of it, and it came out great ! (do we really need pictures ? Trust me, it looks just about exactly the same as dudes bumpers in that other thread).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, I REALLY need to do something with my oxidizing, black powder coated bumpers......
Everybody says the Rustoleum bedliner spray is pretty durable, but hell, I have a hard enough time scrubbing off dried bugs from my smooth powder coated bumpers ! How in the heck would you scrub off bugs from a surface that resembles 60 grit sand paper ?!?!

Even the kid at home depot said that "60 grit" texture will rub off pretty easily, and he was warning me about this on my step bars. But like I told him, my step bars have plastic recessed steps, which is the only place that I ever step on anyway, so I was not that worried.

But back to my front bumper.... and dried / baked on bugs, and scrubbing to get them off.... will this stuff really hold up ?

One things for sure, as long as it didn't start really chipping or peeling off, it certainly has a rough enough texture that it could be reshot every year or so, with no farther prep.

Hmmmmm.....
Fish

TruckGuy24 07-25-2011 06:20 PM

I've wondered about how durable it is myself... so far people seem to have good luck

jerrybizzle 08-01-2011 01:59 PM

I have done both bumpers in this stuff and I use the washing bays with high pressure sprayers and haven't had any peeling yet. It seems to be holding up nicely. I did spend a whopping 7.50 on an extra can if I need to do some touch up.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...7-imag0004.jpg

dsq3973 08-01-2011 03:14 PM

Depending on how my other project turns out I am going to use it on turns out I want to do the steps and maybe the bumpers on my truck.

Fish Chris 08-01-2011 04:59 PM

Jerry, your truck looks freaking sweeeet ! That color looks great blacked out :)

Yea', I guess now that I think about it, heck, even if it does have to be shot again, because of the "60 grit" texture, I guess another layer or 9 would stick as good as it possibly could, with zero prepping.... besides a good wash and dry of course.

Ya' know, I had almost decided that I was going to have my bumpers PTM'd..... but then again, that's going to cost a good chunk, and it might not be any time soon. On the other hand, doing my bumpers in the Rustoeum bedliner spray would be a 1 afternoon, maybe $50 or $60 job....

Hmmmm......

Fish

jerrybizzle 08-02-2011 11:31 AM

Thanks man. Yeah, I figure even if I have to at some point redo them, that is fine as it will still be way cheaper than the alternative. And I like do it yourself projects, so this is fun for me.

chub 08-18-2011 02:09 PM

Ive used it on several things and its still looking good

westtnfx4 08-18-2011 09:59 PM

I started the other thread about this stuff. It is good stuff for the money. I suggest (depending on the sheen you want) going over it with a gloss black spray paint. This seems (for me anyway) to keep dirt from sticking to it as much and keeps it clean looking.

MossyOak3006 08-18-2011 10:51 PM

My friend sprayed his rims with that stuff. It stays good unless he gets in mud and spins. The dirt rubs it off. It should be ok on bumpers and step bars since they won't get rubbed on. It does look good, just put a lot of coats on (like 5 or 6)

Buck268 07-15-2013 02:30 PM

I know this is an old thread, but its the same topic. Looking to beef up the factory e-coat on my '11 F150 rear wells and I'm just not sure what to go with. I'm deciding between various spray/brush on liners, regular rubberized updercoat or just using some regular rustoleum black auto enamel in the rattle can (or maybe brushed on would be more durable).

In any case, since this thread is about the rustoleum spray on bed liner I would ask those who have used this to please report back how well it has held up over the past few years and whether it would be more or less durable than using their black auto enamel in the wheel wells?

Thanks!

dewalt17 07-15-2013 03:33 PM

You do it right and it is pretty durable. I used it on my wheels. A year later they still look good. I do need to do some touch ups but those are purely my fault. Rule 1 of painting, don't get in a hurry. :lol:

netshark 03-02-2019 05:56 PM

Color Of This Truck

[QUOTE=jerrybizzle;4645635]I have done both bumpers in this stuff and I use the washing bays with high pressure sprayers and haven't had any peeling yet. It seems to be holding up nicely. I did spend a whopping 7.50 on an extra can if I need to do some touch up.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...7-imag0004.jpg
Sorry guys I know this thread is really old but does anyone know what color this is on that truck? I love this color and would like to paint my f150 that same color.

ManualF150 03-02-2019 06:06 PM

I used the Rustoleum truck bed liner both rattle can and brush on for my steel deck landscaping trailer. I did it for 2 reasons: 1: It was starting to rust. 2: I wanted something anti-slip. (Almost lost some teeth one day!)

I do my yearly mulch hauls and unload it with the tractor. Even with the sharp carbon steel cutting edge of the loader with probably 5-600 lbs of floated loader weight as down force, it doesn't phase it one bit. So far, 3 years and it's holding up quite well.

One thing I did do -- I applied it in my shop on a hot, sunny summer day, then took the trailer out from the shop into the sun to essentially bake it on.

Very pleased with it!

netshark 04-13-2019 06:24 PM

Color Of This Truck

Originally Posted by ManualF150 (Post 5247750)
I used the Rustoleum truck bed liner both rattle can and brush on for my steel deck landscaping trailer. I did it for 2 reasons: 1: It was starting to rust. 2: I wanted something anti-slip. (Almost lost some teeth one day!)

I do my yearly mulch hauls and unload it with the tractor. Even with the sharp carbon steel cutting edge of the loader with probably 5-600 lbs of floated loader weight as down force, it doesn't phase it one bit. So far, 3 years and it's holding up quite well.

One thing I did do -- I applied it in my shop on a hot, sunny summer day, then took the trailer out from the shop into the sun to essentially bake it on.

Very pleased with it!

That is AWSOME!!!!!

What "red ish" color is the truck? It looks like really dark maroon....???

auggiecc87 07-23-2019 04:59 PM

So I'm hearing that this could be a good option for me for my scratched but non-rusted white truck bed. Too bad they don't have a light / mid grey as I'm not terribly excited to go black in the back.

Anyone have any other "DIY" liners that work well and come in a mid grey color?