How to Paint Black Out Badges w/ DSG Inlays (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by expedition4x4
how have the fender emblems held up all this time? and do you think it's necessary to scuff them up? or could i just shoot the paint
I used a red scotch pad to scuff them up before painting. I did them about 4 months ago and the badges still look the same as the day they were done.

My silver polished running boards are not holding up quite as well because they get hit by rocks and they have a lot of heavy foot traffic. I am planning to use the black bed liner paint the next time I do the running boards because I heard it holds up much better than Krylon Fusion for heavy traffic areas.

KR-Texas

Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Hey KR, I'm sure I've told you this before, but your truck looks freaking awesome ! I used to not care for the Rock Stars, but they have really grown on me, and they look great with those tires.

Like your T-bar grille too.

They don't enforce having a front plate in Texas ? Sure wish they didn't here in my town Oh but hey, have you thought about putting a frame, and a lightly smoked acrylic cover over your rear plate ? I have covers on my front and rear and I think it looks WAAAY better, than without.

Your tutorial for the badges was good too. The only thing I did / would do differently is, I'd replace that primer with Bulldog spray. IMPO Krylon primer is only a "very little bit" stickier than regular Krylon spray. But Bulldog is the stickiest $#!+ on the planet ! Heck, it will make paint stick to chrome, glass, plastic, anything !

Peace,
Fish
Thanks!!! I was not sure about the Rockstars either, but I definately like the way they turned out.

They do not enforce the front plate law in Texas unless you are doing something else they do not like... I do not like plate covers or frames, so I have just left mine as simple as possible.

I will try the Bulldog adhesion promoter the next time I take on a painting project. Repainting my running boards will probably be the next time I get a chance.

KR-Texas

Old 09-19-2009, 06:24 PM
very nice truck man, but i just wanted to say your post helped me out big time i did exactally what you said and mine turned out great, i should have pictures up tomorrow after i wash the truck and figure out how to use my camara. thanks again man

Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just have a question, wouldn't it be easier if you took the emblems off first?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Yeah but some guys don't like to go through the hassle of removing them and re-applying them. I am going to do it on the truck

Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
True, I think I'll just buy all new emblems and replace them once I put on overlays.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by carolinaboy32
Yeah but some guys don't like to go through the hassle of removing them and re-applying them. I am going to do it on the truck

Exactly. It took me 5-10 minutes to cover everything with tape and paper. I imagine (with clean up included) it would take about 5-10 minutes to remove and install as well.
I thought about buying new emblems and replacing the OEM's once I painted and applied the decals. Yeah, it would've been somewhat easier, but a lot more expensive. Like I mentioned earlier, just MAKE SURE the emblems are dry before trying to apply the decals. I'm impatient as hell so that was the hard part for me. Taking your time, it can be done easily in an afternoon.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm just afraid to get paint on my truck or messing up my emblems.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 PM

Old 01-12-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dinggus
its all about prep work I've painted several things in the last six months that was on my truck, nothing got overspray on it and results were great !

Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Okay, I'll try it. I just got find out my emblem sizes on my 2003.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 AM
ehhh i want to do mine i have a white truck. not sureif i should make the outside of the badge white with black lettering. or black with white lettering. or the ford emblems..

Old 01-13-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm going with black with red lettering for my red truck.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by fordman18
ehhh i want to do mine i have a white truck. not sureif i should make the outside of the badge white with black lettering. or black with white lettering. or the ford emblems..
do you have any black accents, rims, grille, black lights ???

If so I would say black with white letters IMO

Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Painted mine black and got some dsg inlays. Be careful when taking the masking tape off the badges because I just ripped mine off and it took some paint along the edges. I have to touch them up a little this weekend.
I also used the Bulldog adhesion promoter, got it for $17 shipped off ebay.

Last edited by Yogi.kudos; 01-13-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: How to Paint Black Out Badges w/ DSG Inlays (Pics)