Painted exhaust tips and emblems

Old 11-03-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painted exhaust tips, emblems, and now wheels!!

The other day my (chrome) toolbox went kaput on me, so I figured what better time to start blacking out my truck than now? The three F-150 emblems I sanded down, primed, painted, and clear coated. For the exhaust tips I sanded them down, cleaned them, and just sprayed them with some heat-resistant BBQ spray. They are drying at the moment, so better pics will come later today.

Coming in January: Custom Overlays and Decals from patriotdecals, 4 lights for my custom lightbar, 2.5" leveling kit, 33" BFG KM2s. Last item will be black wheels (still searching).

Before pic (emblems, tips, sidesteps, toolbox):

Now (drying tips):

Last edited by mblouir; 11-05-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks awesome man! I say u should look into getting some harley davidson edition headlights, they are a gloss back vs the gray lights u have right now. Also look into PTM fender flairs. Just some sugestions since you are going for the whole blackout theme! Truck looks great man!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by BGF150
looks awesome man! I say u should look into getting some harley davidson edition headlights, they are a gloss back vs the gray lights u have right now. Also look into PTM fender flairs. Just some sugestions since you are going for the whole blackout theme! Truck looks great man!
Thank you! I bought the truck w/20,000 miles on it and the previous owner already had these headlights on it. I thought they were the HD heads? Tried searching to find out what type they were and thought I had figured it out. I think it may be the lighting that makes them look gray. If they aren't the HD I will definitely look into getting some since I just installed the HD tails two weeks ago.

Edit: I just took a look at your truck and they are significantly darker than mine. I love the HD combo on your truck--looks killer!

Last edited by mblouir; 11-03-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:05 PM
It looks like black is the new chrome around here...

Old 11-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Thought I might draw one of the blackout fellas in here...^^ love your truck

Old 11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
its gonna look sweet

Old 11-03-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Les22
its gonna look sweet
Thanks, I hope so.

As for the headlights, I think I'm going to try this first:

Painted My Headlights

This poor college student has a hard enough time paying off the truck as it is. Gotta save $$ where I can

Old 11-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Looks great man!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
hmm.. now all you need to do it paint those wheels! If your on a budget, you could pick up some Duplicolor Wheel Paint from your local auto store, might cost you $75 to do all 4 (it's some good stuff). Or if you can afford a little more, you could get all 4 powdercoated for about $300.

Pick up a new FX4 decal from patriotdecals.com to finish off the look. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a Roush grille for $80 on ebay and paint it black with some Krylon Fusion. lol.. just my $0.02!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by zeruin
hmm.. now all you need to do it paint those wheels! If your on a budget, you could pick up some Duplicolor Wheel Paint from your local auto store, might cost you $75 to do all 4 (it's some good stuff). Or if you can afford a little more, you could get all 4 powdercoated for about $300.

Pick up a new FX4 decal from patriotdecals.com to finish off the look. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a Roush grille for $80 on ebay and paint it black with some Krylon Fusion. lol.. just my $0.02!
It's like you're reading my mind, man!

Honestly I'm getting my blackout ideas from your truck. Thing of beauty. I had already planned on everything you said except painting the wheels. The decals are coming soon, along with some custom overlays. Going your route on the decals--flat black w/DSG outline. Recently started looking at the Roush grille as well. Hope to have that soon.

As far as the wheels go, I know I don't want to pay to have them powdercoated. And honestly I just don't have the time to take them off, scuff, sand, prime, paint, etc... That's the reason I'm hesitant to try to paint these wheels. The only thing I'd really have time for is a quick paint job without taking them off. I don't want them to turn out bad. Any thoughts on this? I'm leaning towards just masking off my tires and sanding/priming/painting the wheels, but like I said, I don't want it to look cheap.

Just took some pics so those are coming shortly. Will take a few more tomorrow since I'm going to attempt painting my headlights tonight!!

Last edited by mblouir; 11-03-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Thanks, I hope so.

As for the headlights, I think I'm going to try this first:

Painted My Headlights

This poor college student has a hard enough time paying off the truck as it is. Gotta save $$ where I can
Do not paint those headlights that you have on your truck! Buy a set of OEM chrome headlights if you are planning on painting them. You have the FX4 Lux. Package / FX2 Headlights so do not paint them as you can sell those for much more than a set of OEM chrome hedlights will cost you (I happen to have an OEM chrome set that I am looking to sell if you are interested). Then take the extra money you will make doing it this way and put it towards other parts.

Just trying to help save you some money in the long run.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ameration
Do not paint those headlights that you have on your truck! Buy a set of OEM chrome headlights if you are planning on painting them. You have the FX4 Lux. Package / FX2 Headlights so do not paint them as you can sell those for much more than a set of OEM chrome hedlights will cost you (I happen to have an OEM chrome set that I am looking to sell if you are interested). Then take the extra money you will make doing it this way and put it towards other parts.

Just trying to help save you some money in the long run.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention! I may just hang onto these and leave them untouched until I get a little more free time to try and sell them. That's why I love this site. I really appreciate it!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 PM

More pics. I think those decals and overlays are coming next.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:45 PM

Forgot to mention I did a good detailing last week. Wash, clay, polish, wax, etc... It's like a mirror right now

Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Sickkk

P.S. Black is not the new chrome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painted exhaust tips and emblems