Project F-150 PIMP MY TRUCK FX4 MODS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Here's a hint: Pay it off first, lol. I can barely afford to take my girl out to lunch with gas prices and my truck has been paid off for the last 8 years.
Raptor, you gotta remember not everyone here is a 17 year old kid working at Burger King.

rpminc: I'd go with 20s and some 285/65/20s or if you want to stick with 18s go with a 305/65/18, both look great on these trucks!

I agree with built54, get a 4" suspension lift (like a Rancho) instead of a leveling kit if cost isn't really a concern. The lift will keep your front joints aligned correctly, the 2.5" AS leveling kit puts those joints at angles and some people have reported earlier wear on ball joints and other suspension parts. I have the 2.0" AS and have had no problems so far.

Have you decided if you're going to go with chrome or black accessories?

- NCSU

Old 02-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Hey NCSU,

thnks for the reply..I was thinking @ the 4" lift , don't know how much that would set me back$$ my budget is 4-5k..what do you think about the blck FX4 in my signature...that is somebody's truck on here however I have lost his Member ID...if I could accomplish that I would be very happy..I will probably go the chrome route..I don't know if I could pull off the black & chrome ...would love to ..I just don't think I can with the truck being entirely blue

Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Suspended
like i said before. if you have a 5k budget, get either a fabtech lift with dls, or get a pro comp stage 2. that way your angles are fine and you can run 35s and 20s. there will be no fitment issues either. dont do the chrome either. the black and blue looks sick on your truck. i hardly ever like black rims, but for your truck, i would go for it. just what i would do if i were you. O, i would also get a blacked out roush or carriage works billet grille.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by rpminc
I was thinking @ the 4" lift , don't know how much that would set me back$$
The 4" Rancho generally runs around $2,100, plus installation.

- NCSU

Old 02-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by ddgarcia05
I think this FX4 replacement decal would look awesome on your color of truck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FX4-O...3177QQtcZphoto

Yes, that graphic is "Hawt" If I had a FX4 I'd use that. My rear decal just says 4X4 since It's a Lariat

Old 02-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I have a Fabtech 6" lift with 4" blocks in the rear. In my opinion, my truck sits level the way it is now. The truck originally came with Pirelli Scorpion P275/55R20's. I went with a 20" wheel and Mickey Thompson Baja Claws 12.5X35X20. I would have thought that the 35" tires were going to be alot taller than my original tires....and when I put them next to each other (after I bought them) they were not much bigger, maybe 1 inch taller. I'm about to pull the MT's off for my 1k mile drive to troyer to save gas and rubber, I plan on taking some pictures w & w/o the MT's to see the difference.

When I was in your shoes, not knowing much about lifts tires etc. If I would have gone with a 4" lift, I would have regretted it completely and wished for the 6". The way it is now, I should have gone 8" of lift and 35's or 37's and then just regeared. I wanted a truck that would be up higher than most other trucks I came across on the road. I didn't do it so I could take my new 45k truck through some mud trails since it's my daily driver.

If I could do it ALL over again with a fresh stock truck I would do it this way, knowing what I now know.

1- Tint the windows. Noone wants to see your grill! Keep in mind there are tints out there that help keep the heat out of your vehicle. Do some research before you just throw any ole tint on there. ($200)

2- Get rid of the stock exhaust and have a cat back exhaust put on, or do it yourself. 2 Hi Flow cats, your choice of mufflers depending on what you desire. Some nice 3" tubing and finish it off with some nice tips. ($500)

3- Get rid of the stock intake and replace it with an aftermarket one. There are a bazillion threads here on intakes. Ok so now your truck can breath, and yes you will notice a difference. ($300)

4- Get it tuned. X3 from SCT is what I went with and there are also a million threads here talking about it. It comes with canned tunes or get the custom ones (a better idea) from Troyer or VMP or whoever you prefer. ($450)

**2-4 is a Stage 1 kit from Troyer, and they charge about $1150 according to their webpage.**

Now that the engine is running tight, the truck is breathing and you've awakened it some.

5- Lift, Tires / Wheels. The most expensive mod that you will probably come across, and the one that will set you back at the gas pump. While the other mods are going to increase power / acceleration and increase your fuel efficiency, lift tires / wheels are going to worsen it, ALOT. Like some have made note to paying the truck off first, lol. I can appreciate the comment because When I drive 40 miles (there and back) too have dinner / movie with my girlfriend I pay out the nose in gas. Everyone paid something different for their lift, but it's not cheap. We're men, we want our truck to look badass so we pay the consequences

Last edited by Fat1; 02-17-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Fat1
...have a cat back exhaust put on, or do it yourself. 2 Hi Flow cats to replace the 4 you currently have.
Unless they changed design again, there are only 2 cats on the 2005+ models.

- NCSU

Old 02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by gators241987
lift it
haha....trying to empty his pocket book from the start?!?!

I agree with gator though...

Quick Reply: Project F-150 PIMP MY TRUCK FX4 MODS