F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Appearance Products (https://www.f150online.com/forums/appearance-products-48/)
-   -   L lense/HID combo??? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/appearance-products/225218-l-lense-hid-combo.html)

GA FOO 88 01-16-2006 11:12 PM

L lense/HID combo???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-03...29627847QQrdZ1

Anyone have any experience with this or anything similar? How complicated is the install?

harborbreeze 01-17-2006 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by GA FOO 88
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-03...29627847QQrdZ1

Anyone have any experience with this or anything similar? How complicated is the install?

Don't know about the product, but his feedback is pretty bad.
From what I see after the purchase you are on your own.
:coffee:

yankeesfan81 01-17-2006 12:07 PM

Dont do it unless you want to blind everyone you drive by...Plus you will have a greater of getting pulled over and ticketed. I would not buy HIDS unless you have projectors and those likes do not have projectors. I mean it is your call but I wouldnt reccommend it. Install is pretty simple, most HID kits are a direct plug and play system.

GA FOO 88 01-17-2006 09:51 PM

So even with projectors its still not a good idea? I know how bright they are, if foreign cars use them why can't everyone else. I guess you need the projector to concentrate the beam or what? What is a decent brand/company to look into?

yankeesfan81 01-18-2006 10:50 AM

I would say go for it if they had projectors but from what I could see I didnt see any projectors. Well I am not sure what brands make projectors for your truck.. I know I bought a set of projector headlights and I beleive the brand is JDM

twstd02 01-19-2006 04:34 PM

I would go for it...just buy it, that price is a great one. There are many vehicles out there that are non-projector HID's (Navigator, Escalade, many Cadillacs, etc....) you wont have a problem.

GA FOO 88 01-19-2006 07:28 PM

Alrite so i guess its between the L lense/HIDs, or JDM 1 peice projectors and JDM HID kit, or maybe some old xenarcs if i can find a pair. Anyone know what size bulb and what brightness would be best to choose for 97-03 f150s, it seems most are 9006/8000ks or 9007/8000ks, but im not sure which bulb works.

Also anybody run the HID fog/driving light kit in their valance?

JS04CREW 01-19-2006 08:45 PM

Alrite so i guess its between the L lense/HIDs, or JDM 1 peice projectors and JDM HID kit, or maybe some old xenarcs if i can find a pair. Anyone know what size bulb and what brightness would be best to choose for 97-03 f150s, it seems most are 9006/8000ks or 9007/8000ks, but im not sure which bulb works.

Also anybody run the HID fog/driving light kit in their valance?

Your truck takes a 9007 bulb. If you want to go with HID get that type base bulb so it fits nicely in that housing. Remember when choosing the high color temp the lower light output. Its going to be better than stock but I will be less than a 4100k (oem) output

GA FOO 88 01-19-2006 10:19 PM

So for instance a 8000k bulb is less than the stock 4100-4200k bulb, output wise? I've never seen HIDs on a truck in person, so its hard for me to judge, but definately brighter.

JS04CREW 01-20-2006 06:39 AM

So for instance a 8000k bulb is less than the stock 4100-4200k bulb, output wise? I've never seen HIDs on a truck in person, so its hard for me to judge, but definately brighter.

I had a 98 F150 before I bought my '04 and I got APC projector headlamps. The fog projector was awesome and the look of them on my truck was great. I also upgraded my 9007 halogen bulbs with Nokya arctic white bulbs which were rated at like 7000k. They did not put out nearly as much light as stock halogen bulbs did and I was very disappointed. Even with a upgraded wiring harness taking power directly from battery.

If you got true HIDs with ballast/igniter with a color temp to 5000k or higher will be brighter than stock halogen bulbs but have less lumens(brightness)than an eom HID color temp of 4100k which is a white light with very very little blue/purple color to them if not any color. I believe if i'm not mistaking (correct me if i'm wrong anyone) but in oem HID system the color comes from the light prism when the light passes under the cutoff plate.

GIJoeCam 01-20-2006 12:55 PM

Vehicles that come with them from the factory have had the housing, reflector, and lend engineered to properly disperse the HID light. A standard housing designed for a halogen bulb will, in general, scatter the light way too much. Even projectors will do that, unless they're engineered for an HID bulb.

I drive by a guy on my way to work at least twice a week that has HIDs installed in his stock Dodge Caravan housings. (at least that's what the bulbs appear to be) He gets blasted with the Daylighters every time just for blinding me, and he can't even flash me back. (Most HID replacements don't have any provision for the high beams)

If you can find a set of Xenarcs, they're worth every penny. They're engineered with a proper beam cut-off and do a great job of throwing the light down the road without blinding oncoming traffic. Very, very rarely do I get flashed, and when I do, boy do they know they were wrong LOL!!

-Joe

-Joe

yankeesfan81 01-20-2006 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Vehicles that come with them from the factory have had the housing, reflector, and lend engineered to properly disperse the HID light. A standard housing designed for a halogen bulb will, in general, scatter the light way too much. Even projectors will do that, unless they're engineered for an HID bulb.

I drive by a guy on my way to work at least twice a week that has HIDs installed in his stock Dodge Caravan housings. (at least that's what the bulbs appear to be) He gets blasted with the Daylighters every time just for blinding me, and he can't even flash me back. (Most HID replacements don't have any provision for the high beams)

If you can find a set of Xenarcs, they're worth every penny. They're engineered with a proper beam cut-off and do a great job of throwing the light down the road without blinding oncoming traffic. Very, very rarely do I get flashed, and when I do, boy do they know they were wrong LOL!!

-Joe

-Joe

exactly..

JOHNNY BRAVO 01-20-2006 07:38 PM

Hid

I WOULDN'T GO FOR THAT SET OF BALLASTS OR LAMPS..... I HAVE A 99 F 150 XLT AND AND 05 150 EXTENDED CAB FX4 BOTH WITH REAL HIDS IN THE LOW BEAMS AND FOGS AND I'M IN NY CITY. NOT 1 PROBLEM WITH COPS EITHER. THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT INSTALLING A SET OF HID'S IS GO ON EBAY AND DO A SEARCH WITH (XENON BALLAST'S OR HID BALLASTS) THE BEST BALLASTS TO GET ARE THE (LEXUS- KIOTO) OR (NISSAN MASU****A BALLASTS) OR HELLA. DON'T PAY MORE THEN $200 FULL BOTH BALLASTS. YOU CAN FIND BOTH BALLASTS AND LAMPS WITH THE 12V WIRING FOR $200. PHILLIPS AND OSRAM LAMPS D2R OR D2S ARE THE BEST.

IF YOU WANT SAOME PICS ON THE INSTALL AND HOW THEY LOOK LET ME KNOW
FOX540@aol.com
believe me they look incredible and work amazeing. Don't worry about blinding people, you won't be the only car or truck on the road with real xenon lights...if the bitch there jealous.