2013 F150 Lariat - Sony system

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 F150 Lariat - Sony system

I am very dissatisfied with the sony "upgrade" system. And, based on all I have read, it is an optical system. Therefore, most all upgrades are done "after" the Sony amp, tying into the speaker out.

Have you ever heard the Lincoln THX Certified system? Sounds fantastic!

So, my question is.....what would it take to unplug the Sony amp and replace it with a Lincoln amp? There is digital input and digital output. Heck, even use the Lincoln speakers.

I have never understood why, with optical/digital systems all audio modifications that maintain the head unit....have to maintain the digital amp. Why can't we go to a better digital amp??

Thks!
Ken

Old 09-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an old post, but you are over-simplifying the situation. There are many reasons most upgrades retain the factory amplifiers. In many cases, it is easier or cheaper. The system in your truck is not optical or really digital. It is a 4 channel ANALOG line level output to the Sony (or THX system in the Lincoln). There is a CAN bus connection between the head unit and the amplifier that conveys the gain (volume), balance, and other audio settings to the amplifier. ALL audio processing is done in the amplifier.

The only way to upgrade in most cases is to replace everything. The THX amplifier would not be a plug n play upgrade. If you cut the THX amp out of a Lincon with pigtails, it could be wired in. Then it would just be a matter of programming to tell the APIM and ACM that the vehicle is equipped with such.

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 Lariat - Sony system