F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Amplifiers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/amplifiers-56/)
-   -   Need some Amp help (https://www.f150online.com/forums/amplifiers/450783-need-some-amp-help.html)

TruckGuy24 06-11-2011 10:33 PM

Need some Amp help

I am piecing together parts for my system install in my extended cab. I wanted an stealth system so here is what I have so far:

Shaker 500 and KENWOOD EXCELON KFC-X683C 6x8" SPEAKERS/ speaker harnesses on the way.

Here are the specs on the speakers

2-way 6x8" custom fit speakers (it will also fit in a 5x7" opennings)

180 watts peak power

2-60 watts RMS power
Diamond Array Pattern carbon-polypropylene woofer

Butyl Rubber Surround
1-3/16" PEI balanced dome tweeter
4-ohm impedance
Frequency response: 80-21000 Hz
Sensitivity: 88 dB
Custom fit to select FORD & MAZDA vehicles
Mounting depth: 2-9/16"

Screws (8 pcs) and speaker wires (2 x 11") are included

The speakers don't come with a grilles
I am going to get a JL Cleansweep from Crutchfield (for warranty and install info) and then a sub/ box and amp.

I am thinking of going with this

10" kicker sub with box

Thoughts on it? I listen to mostly country, but occasionally some rock and a little pop/rap in there. WOuld that be ample? I am unsure on how to pair the system to an amp. I am looking to amp my front speakers and the sub obviously. What would be a good budget friendly amp to safely power the system? Also, would it be worth putting 2 10's in the back like this or is that overkill?

I only want to have one amp for the whole system so I know I would need a 4 channel for sub and front speakers. If I did 2 10's would I need a 5 channel?

I appreciate advice here,

Thanks,

John :beers:

nhford 06-11-2011 11:47 PM

similar system recently installed

I have a new system, think it's basically what you're doing.
(signature description below)
"stealth systems" are no components exposed, nothing eye catching, correct?
Well, that's what I have.
Going from stock radio/speakers, it rocks.
Only have a single sub. Think its' just about broken in, and I Like what I feel.
My alpine amp (*5 channel*, 50WRMSperchannel x 4 @ 4ohms + 300WRMSx1 @ 2ohm load) has an optional wired control knob for the sub.
I can adjust sub while driving at any time, down to off. Awesome.
I have the same 6x8's, got a deal, much better than stock.
I won't be topping out my volume, so I won't hit speakers max wattage.

You'll prob need shallow mount subs if you're keeping your back seat down.
Fosgate;), Alpine, Kicker(?) others?
For sub, I focused on Fosgate, then briefly with Alpine.
Shop recommended Fosgate, 'Alpine's known for electronics, not speakers'.
Not one regret with my choices.

You're into country... losts of 'rock' feel to it these days.
Nothing wrong cranking out some Chesney, Flatts, Aldean, B&Rich.

I say... If you have the $$, go dual 10's in sealed boxes.
Be sure to buy an amp which can drive them well.
Good luck.

abervintageman4 06-11-2011 11:49 PM

text me john

TruckGuy24 06-12-2011 03:09 PM

Thanks for that Nh :) Yes that is what I am thinking, good set-up but you can't see that there is much aftermarket components in it. I don't want theft, but i want it to sounds good. It sounds like you have a nice set-up in your truck

Will do Taylor!

KingRanch4Life 06-13-2011 07:01 AM

[QUOTE=TruckGuy24;4610067]Thanks for that Nh :) Yes that is what I am thinking, good set-up but you can't see that there is much aftermarket components in it. I don't want theft, but i want it to sounds good. It sounds like you have a nice set-up in your truck

I have a 8 inch under the seat.. It gets the job done but it distorts also. I will get more pics up when my wife send them to me. I think a 10 inch would be perfect but two(2) would be even better.. I have the JL audio component speakers/tweeters in the doors with no amp.. My pioneer allows me to tune them the way I want so they are pretty loud.. I'd like to tag along with you on this thread to see what you come up with. I am also a fan of Kicker... That one(1) 10 inch may very well do the job..

nhford 06-13-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24 (Post 4610067)
Thanks for that Nh :) Yes that is what I am thinking, good set-up but you can't see that there is much aftermarket components in it. I don't want theft, but i want it to sounds good. It sounds like you have a nice set-up in your truck Will do Taylor!

I'm happy with the sound.
I had a respected shop do the install (one day job).
Unfortunately, a install tech didn't install the amp as the owner told me it would be done.
My back wall mounted amp turned into a floor mount under the rear seat.
I let the front desk guy know I expected the back wall mount based on what the owner told me.
He said they'd change it for me.
Haven't investigated how they secured to the board/amp to the floor yet.
They sliced my rubber/plastic floor. NOT happy.
How are they going to fix that?
If they screwed/mounted into my floor, how are they gonna fix that?
Bad communication within their shop.
I originally asked some questions about my system, and for recommendations.
Then asked a few more before the install.
I didn't want to become a burden with continual questions, so I left some room for trust... and it bit me in the a$$.
Wondering what's going to happen when I let go in for the 'what happened discussion'.

Kraft1982 06-13-2011 11:39 AM

I have 4 Infinity Kappa 682.9cf 6x8 speakers in my doors and a single Infinity Kappa 10" sub under the rear seat all operating at a 2 ohm load. I'm using a 5-channel Infinity Reference 5350a amp. My sub is in a MTX thunderform box, screwcab.

5350A specs.
60x4 and 300x1 at 2 ohms rms
50x4 and 150 x1 at 4 ohms rms.

I also ran all new speaker wires and used a 2 farad cap. on the amp. The only factory wiring I'm using is the power wires to my Kenwood Excelon X792 headunit.

The amp works great and has the remote adjustable sub control, but I use my headunit for sub level control. My headunit has 3 outputs so I can control the front, rear, and sub seperatly which is nice.

Very happy with the 5350a amp. Think I bought it for around 150 new off of ebay. Or check millionbuy.com for car electronics.

TruckGuy24 06-13-2011 08:05 PM

Thanks for all the posts guys... ok here's the amp I am thinking of going with. Seems like a great amp for the price.

Cadence 5 Channel

This won't be overpowering if I amp'd the front and rear doors and did a single 10 under the rear seat would it?

Langlowe 06-13-2011 10:20 PM

To be honest there is no such thing as overpowering when it comes to amps. Just keep the gains low to match the speakers and you will be fine.

More power on tap is better than to little. Headroom is a good thing.

TruckGuy24 06-13-2011 10:47 PM

That's what I was thinking as well Langlowe

Here's my next question... would I need the Cleansweep CL SSI since the Shaker 500 had a sub from the factory? I was watching some Youtube videos, particularly these ones, and I am wondering if I need that as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aypXR...5F6DCAA539CA45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRSs...5F6DCAA539CA45

TruckGuy24 06-13-2011 10:59 PM

Just pulled the trigger on the amp...

:D

TruckGuy24 06-27-2011 10:04 PM

Just figured I'd update this... I have the amp and decided to just get a JCV touch screen Double din. I'll be ordering it in a few weeks. So the install should be even simpler. My question is:

For wiring speakers... how easy is this? I want to amp all 4 in the doors and then the sub. Is it is running a positive and negative mire to each speaker and then hooking it up to each channel of the amp, or is it more so. I know the amp needs to have the power, ground, and remote turn on, but I'm just talking about speakers here. I have an extra set of Ford speaker harnesses I can solder the new wire in so the hookup is perfect. Am I right with this?

Langlowe 07-08-2011 06:53 PM

It is just that simple. Each speaker + and - to the amp.

If you get the JVC then you will also have low level RCAs going back to the amp for front, back, and sub.

TruckGuy24 07-08-2011 09:12 PM

Yeah I think that's how I am going to do it. The system is going to take a backseat for a while. I have done a few small mods, but my mods are coming to and end for a while. I'm going to try to pay for school with just about no loans, so progress will not be made for a while. The JVC unit I'll get in a few months hopefully, then I'll need the sub, box and wiring kits. Not too worried about it. I'd rather cover my school now anyways.

Langlowe 07-10-2011 12:51 PM

Get your education first. Then you can get into the big toys. :)