amp blowing fuses when volume is turned up on a long bass set.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amp blowing fuses when volume is turned up on a long bass set.

ok guys my setup is all brand spanking new. i have 4 gauge power and ground with 8 gauge speaker wire.

my head unit pioneer avh-p3100dvd
amp kenwood kac-9104D one ohm stable not the best amp but great deal
dual clarion p1052 dual voice 4ohm voice coil wired to 1 ohm

my problem is pretty simple to comprihend. when there is a long bass set and the volume is set to a high amount the amp will blow the fuses.

my fuse off the battery is not blown and im running two 30 amps which is what its rated to handle and came with. its doesnt do it all the time only when there is a really long bass output. the subs are wired down to 1 ohm. in a .77 cubic foot ported box tuned to 30 hz with a liner of poly fill (made sure not to touch the sub) the amp is not hot when blowing. mounted under seat

here are my thoughts.
given the my battery still says motocraft i believe its the original making it 11 years old. my lights dim significantly.

two my system doesnt have a capacitor but neither did any of my other systems running an old battery but they also didnt have the power output of this system.

also my ground is posibly not as clean as it could be.

my schooling. 2nd year electrical engineer control aspect.

my fixes. i do believe i will start with my ground i will clean it up and make sure thats its seated correctly and check again.

my next will be to replace the battery. i was panning on doing this any way but the battery still easy turns over the truck even in winter(just bought the truck) so i was hoping to put this off.

third is to check alllllll connections in box and out then possibly a capacitor.

i was hoping that maybe one of you guys have had this problem in the past and maybe just send me in the quick right direction given that its freezing outside.

thanks if advance

Last edited by 99F150SSXLT; 02-22-2010 at 02:38 AM. Reason: missed a detail
Old 02-22-2010, 03:09 AM
the fact that kenwood says its 1 ohm stable but limited to 900w(which is the same as the 2 ohm rating)makes me think that amp isnt TRUELY 1 ohm stable especially if your pushing it hard. I would put money on it that if you changed your load to 4 ohms it would no longer blow fuses but your amp will not have enough power.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with Paralyzer, your probably pushing the amp to hard. Rewire your subs so you have no less than a 2 ohm load.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how did you set the gain on the amp ? i bet you are clipping the amp.. and making it pull more jucie then it is sappose to.. and i agree it mite do one ohm.. but with out a jump in power from 2 to 1 ohm.. it really wasn't designed for it.. but if you played it at moderate levels it would work..

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Play the amp and carefully touch it. Im almost willing to bet its getting pretty hot. 1ohm stable can be hard on some electronics and especially cheap ones.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:53 PM
ok i understand that the ohm stable thing is what you guys are thinking iw as thinking that at first to. its not clipping because the bassboost and input sensitivity arent set to anything. ive played with the settings to see. not to mention in my original post i mention the amp IS NOT getting hot at all. that was the first thing i checked.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I've had my Kenwood KAC9104D running at 1-ohm with two Infinity Kappa's for 6 months now, no blown fuses.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM
thanks for the second heads up there i was hoping that wasnt it and i wasnt thinkign that given my back ground in this. what gauge speaker wire and power cable are you using and thirdly where did you place your ground?

i keep falling back to the battery being super old. i will have to get some money and change it what battery do you guys suggest? i was thinking an optima either yellow or red top. or if i can afford it maybe a drycell battery? im trying to eliminate the need for a capacitor.

Last edited by 99F150SSXLT; 02-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:27 PM
I also have an optima redtop, I love it. When I first got the Kenwood KAC9104D my stock battery wouldnt last 2 minutes when the truck was turned off

Old 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM
do you have a cap in your setup or jnust the retop battery?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM
My reccomandation is to call Kenwood and find out what is the correct fuse rating that is suppose to be in that amp. A fuse will blow when you over draw amprage that is rated on the fuse. If this is your only amp you are running on your power line which you state has 2 30 amp fuses on it, and you are blowing the fuses in the amp it might be that the kenwood actually comes with a larger fuse then whats in there. It might be possible form the factory there was a 40 amp or even a 35 in there. Since you arent blowing the main fuses on the power line, that tellms me your amp is drawing somewhere between 30 and 60 amps at 1ohm, and pushed to its max watts. Call Kenwood, im sure they'd love to help you get their product working properly

Old 02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
hey ok guys i think that no one is reading my oroginal post before they reply. i appricite that help but please read it tells you everything that is setup. the fluses are blowing on the amp itsself. there is two 30 amp fuses and thats what the amp is rated for (also is what came with it) the stuff is all brand new and i pulled it out of the pakaging my self. the inline fuse off the battery is not the one thats blowing its the fuses on the amp itself.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Check the manual. It is very possible that the 30 AMP fuses are installed and intended for 4-OHM operation, I can't look at mine, but I think I have 40 AMP fuses in it.

And I do not have a cap.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
hmm ok i will take a look at that i didnt think that the amperage would change given the ohm setting as this shouldnt be the case if kenwood designed it universaly but given this i might have to take a look at that. and why cant you look at yours? behind or under a very secretive spot :P? mines virtualy im possible to get at inless you take the seat out its tucked under there. my plan was to hide everyhting so its not seen or easily accesible.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The newer Kenwood amps are very subpar in quality. Whether or not they are truely 1 ohm stable is questionable, especially from amp to amp consistency.

Also, while your speakers are wired to 1 ohm doesn't mean thats the actual load they present. At different frequencies, the resistance of the coils can change. This means the load could be lower than 1 ohm at certain frequencies. If you are clipping the amp at under 1 ohm resistance for extended notes, you get popped fuses. Even if bass boost is off, you can still clip the amp with high input voltage and the volume on the source unit turned up beyond its Maximum Undistorted Output.

Quick Reply: amp blowing fuses when volume is turned up on a long bass set.