F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Amplifiers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/amplifiers-56/)
-   -   need help installing now (remote wire) (https://www.f150online.com/forums/amplifiers/372957-need-help-installing-now-remote-wire.html)

jjntj2003 04-11-2009 05:00 PM

need help installing now (remote wire)

what are you using for remote to the amp from factory head unit? and what color are the speaker wires on the passenger side? the hu is one from 04 xlt single disk/cassette

JJDH 04-11-2009 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by jjntj2003 (Post 3680010)
what are you using for remote to the amp from factory head unit? and what color are the speaker wires on the passenger side? the hu is one from 04 xlt single disk/cassette

take speaker out of door look at colors. that is the best way. m run a remote that is switched with ignition, or tap into radio power wire, also put a toggle inline so u have control to turn off sub

Sundevil2188 04-12-2009 01:38 PM

Just pop off your head unit and tap into all your wires right there. no need to get behind the speaker. As for colors, Low might no off the top of his head, if not, ill check tomorrow when i get to work

04screw22s 04-13-2009 01:59 PM

Why would you not just grab a ignition switched 12v source from the fuse box in the passenger kick panel? Not mess with toggle switches and pulling out the radio??

JJDH 04-13-2009 02:20 PM

fuse box

Originally Posted by 04screw22s (Post 3682433)
Why would you not just grab a ignition switched 12v source from the fuse box in the passenger kick panel? Not mess with toggle switches and pulling out the radio??

first not everyone likes to mess with the fuse panel, second a toggle switch on the remote gives u the ability to turn just the subs off and still have the radio play, second we used to do that so we had a quick kill switch to avoid johnny law, when there is no dedicated sub off switch on the radio, i personally find that to be a hassle. make sense.:smoke:

ChrisAU 04-13-2009 03:36 PM

Look at MTX's website and search for the thunderform enclosure under their products section that is meant for our trucks. Once found, open the .pdf manual and scan through it - it has the wire colors under the door sills for installation of their product, just use it for yours haha. I did this for my '06 F-250 and my '05 F-150 and their instructions are spot on.

04screw22s 04-13-2009 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by JJDH (Post 3682448)
first not everyone likes to mess with the fuse panel, second a toggle switch on the remote gives u the ability to turn just the subs off and still have the radio play, second we used to do that so we had a quick kill switch to avoid johnny law, when there is no dedicated sub off switch on the radio, i personally find that to be a hassle. make sense.:smoke:

Hmmm..... I guess I am old school. I always used fuse taps and found a switched 12v signal in the fuse box. (Most of the time it was the radio fuse). The toggle switch seems a little dangerous and cumbersome in case you accidently leave the toggle switch on....click click goes your ignition the next morning.

abervintageman4 04-13-2009 05:01 PM

12v switched wire, on my truck its the thicker red wire that goes to the HU, not sure about yours

04screw22s 04-13-2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by abervintageman4 (Post 3682690)
12v switched wire, on my truck its the thicker red wire that goes to the HU, not sure about yours

All of the wires are the same size to the factory harness????? I have no idea what you are referring to.

04screw22s 04-13-2009 05:37 PM

Ahh just saw the year of your truck..... Have no idea about yours.

JJDH 04-13-2009 05:44 PM

switch

Originally Posted by 04screw22s (Post 3682685)
Hmmm..... I guess I am old school. I always used fuse taps and found a switched 12v signal in the fuse box. (Most of the time it was the radio fuse). The toggle switch seems a little dangerous and cumbersome in case you accidently leave the toggle switch on....click click goes your ignition the next morning.

u still put the remote on a 12volt switched ignition cicuit, then no click click prollem:thumbsup:

04screw22s 04-13-2009 05:52 PM

Okay then maybe you can learn me.... why would you put a toggle switch on it?
Just to turn the amp and sub off manually?

Seems a little weird for me. Seems like plugging in a bass control knob would make better sense. IMO

JJDH 04-13-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 04screw22s (Post 3682781)
Okay then maybe you can learn me.... why would you put a toggle switch on it?
Just to turn the amp and sub off manually?

Seems a little weird for me. Seems like plugging in a bass control knob would make better sense. IMO

no, here this is just like your thread, bubbles clear, here we go,lol
on a factory radio that doesnt have a remote, u need to find a 12volt switched source right?. now if u run it off the fuse box, that is great, i did that back in the day, then your remote is hot whenever the ignition is on, when you turn your radio off and drive the amp is still on, wouldnt hurt anything, so to have better control add a toggle on remote, when the remote is from the radio it is on and off with the radio, then your hu has a sub control section that also has a sub on and off, so tha toggle isnt a must, but it is useful.:smoke:

JJDH 04-13-2009 06:55 PM

also when i was about 18, i had a really hot car, meaning i always got fckd with, there was a couple times i was pulled over bcause they heard loud music, i turned off the toggle and my subs didnt play, i would then tell the truth and say, the bass wasnt mine they dont have power!

jjntj2003 04-13-2009 09:10 PM

found a line-out converter that hooks to your 12v constant but only sends signal to turn on the amp when the sound travels through the speakers it works perfect now if and when i decide to change my head unit all wires are there no more tearing truck apart no toggles or fuse box mess