A few questions about installing amplifiers that I couldn't find by searching

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions about installing amplifiers that I couldn't find by searching

Alrighty,

I was searching around quite a bit yesterday and couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for. I have an amp that I plan on installing to power a sub. I plan on buying a line out converter to give me the RCA outputs, but I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for a 2007 with 6 disk MP3 to know which wires to splice into. Is it best to splice into the rear speaker wires using those plastic splicers you can get at any hardware store? Also, where should I mount the LOC or do you just let it dangle back there? I saw a post where someone had used the remote turn on wire in the factory sub wiring harness that's back there under the seat. Is this feasible if I don't have the factory sub or is it not hooked up to anything up front? Thanks.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:04 PM
The first thing I would have to say pertaining to your ordeal would be to make sure you invest in a quality LOC, and not some parts store special. Most people would agree with that, and I know from personal experience that they really aren't any good anyways. This would also apply to the RCA cables as well, as cheaply made ones will only relay poor SQ. It's been awhile since I wired an LOC, but if memory serves me correct you should only have 7 wires to hook up; 1 ground, 1 positive lead, 1 remote turn-on, 1 + left speaker lead, 1 - left speaker lead, 1 + right speaker lead, and 1 - right speaker lead. I looked at my Haynes manual to get the following information, but the diagram in the book seemed rather limited. But then again, it only has info. for the regular cab trucks.

Power Wires:
GRN/PPL = Hot @ All Times
RED/BLK = Hot in Start
PNK/BLK = Hot in Acc or Run
BLK/GRN = Ground
BLK = Ground

Speaker Wires:
TAN/YEL = Left Rear Speaker (book does not specify polarity)
GRY/BLU = Left Rear Speaker (book does not specify polarity)
BRN/PNK = Right Rear Speaker (book does not specify polarity)
ORG/RED = Right Rear Speaker (book does not specify polarity)
*Since the polarity is unknown, I'd see about pulling out the rear speakers to identify which color is - and which is +. Unless someone else on here can tell you.

You could choose to mount the LOC anywhere you want. Personally, I have always tucked them behind the factory stereo, but I have seen people place them somewhere in the rear of the vehicle. It's your call. How you go about splicing the wires is up to you as well. If this is something temporary, I'd consider just buying some t-taps and spade connectors and just splice into the wires that way. Heat shrink and soldering are always a plus whether the LOC is temporary or permanent, but it's your call.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by TXF150Steve; 10-24-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 AM
I always use the LF and RR. (Just me... I know ppl didnt mess with my wires that way....)

All 18 ga Wire.
LF (+/-) - Orange/Lt. Green Pin 8 & Light Blue/White Pin 21
RF (+/-) - White/Lt. Green Pin 11 & Dark Green/Orange Pin 12
LR (+/-) - Gray/Lt. Blue Pin 9 & Tan/Yellow Pin 22
RR (+/-) - Orange/Red Pin 10 & Brown/Pink Pin 23

Old 10-25-2007, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=Low_e_Red]I always use the LF and RR. (Just me... I know ppl didnt mess with my wires that way....)

Really? Is there a benefit over doing it that way? Just curious since I will most likely be needing to install a LOC when I add the MTX sub to my '07s factory system.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 PM
DRJ
If you have a mono amp tapping into the LF & RR will allow you to fade to the front and rear and have the sub play the whole time. If just the rear wires are tapped your sub would not play when faded to the front or vice versa...however I've seen some disgruntled customers because they couldn't fade their 2 ch amp to play left or right sub only ...but u mentioned only 1 MTX sub? you won't be able to fade left and right (obviously) so you should be good however you end up going.
BTW If it was my truck I'd solder and tape everything

Quick Reply: A few questions about installing amplifiers that I couldn't find by searching