amp01expedition

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amp01expedition

looking for aftermarket or used amp for mach radio. Local radio shop said I couldn't hook a aftermarket amp to factory connections. thks

Old 04-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Just tell your shop to use high to low line convertors for an amp.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:03 PM
Cajun,
I am not sure just exactly what your asking. I think what your saying is you want to replace the mach amps with aftermarket amps? If so, what you will need to do is leave the factory amps in place and tap into the speaker wire outputs with a LOC (line output converter) then add the aftermarket amp/amps. In other words you can't just tap into the inputs going to the factory amps and replace them totally with aftermarket amps (well, technically you could but it would be to difficult to explain really and could actually cause noise problems do to impedance differences). In short to add additional amps in the mach system requires leaving the factory amps in place.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks, Dupuis and cgorris. Your right cgorris factory amp went out just need to get a replacement to shut my wife up. Dupuis in regards to your previous question in other thread, I was born and raised in lake arthur, la moved here in 1992. I still go back to gods country as often as I can..2004f150screw 4x2/black/gold/audiophile/towpackage355ls

Old 04-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by cajun04screw
Thanks, Dupuis and cgorris. Your right cgorris factory amp went out just need to get a replacement to shut my wife up. Dupuis in regards to your previous question in other thread, I was born and raised in lake arthur, la moved here in 1992. I still go back to gods country as often as I can..2004f150screw 4x2/black/gold/audiophile/towpackage355ls

Nice place. I have been to that beach there a few times. I'm in Lafayette.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Cajun,

I am going to give you a work around but you will need to do some research and testing to make sure it will work. Basically what I am telling you is do this at your own risk. Here is a break out of the wires
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Ford-Wiring.pdf
What you need to do is check to see what kind of voltage you are getting out of the HU and then determine if you will need to merely solder on some RCA connections to input into the aftermarket amp or if you will actually need an LOC to knock the levels down some. Use a multimeter (while the amp is connected or use a 20Kohm resistor across the leads to simulate an aftermarket amp being connected. Come to think of it I am going to do one better and see if they have a harness already made for this adaptation. I will give you a link if I find one.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:06 AM
OK instead of hacking into the factory harness up front use the amp bypass plug from scosche FD07 http://www.scosche.com/scosche/connectors/FD07.asp
Then back where the factory amp is located you can check you voltage output and see if your aftermarket amp will accept the levels as they are or if they will need to be knocked down. I think you get the basic idea. If you don't feel up to the challenge just take it to a local shop with a good reputation and have them integrate it for you. Your other option also would be to just replace the HU with and aftermarket unit with high power and use the amp bypass plug. I think replacing the HU will be your cheapest route but again it depends largely on what your looking for.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Wow Cgorris, way to go the extra mile to help out. Your a good man.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks alot cgorris. I will take your info and bring it to a radio shop, if I fry the radio I'll never hear the end of it from my wife. Guys like you cgorris makes this site addictive. Have 1 on me

Old 04-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Glad I could help you out.