2015 - 2020 F-150

Pro Trailer Backup Assist - sticker location preference?

Old 07-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro Trailer Backup Assist - sticker location preference?

I have several trailers (car trailer, jetski, snowmobiles...) and have programmed them in - I am all set for that, its all good.

Curiosity Question: Is there a PREFERRED ("better") location for the sticker?
Is it better to mount sticker on the center arm of trailer (versus either diagonal brace)?
Is it better (more accurate?) to have the sticker further from truck (farther distance)?

Any comments?

Old 07-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
What is this?

Why not just back up to the trailer normally using your mirrors and by feel?

I set the coupler slightly lower than the top of the ball so when back in I feel it slide onto the ball.

Last edited by ManualF150; 07-23-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added more...
Old 07-23-2019, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not asking for connecting up to a trailer, and I can back up a trailer quite efficiently.
Actually the 2018 F150 Ecoboost already came with the option, and I thought I would never even bother to use the "steering ****" on the dashboard.... Thought I was not that incompetent...

But I _DO_ like the fact that you can just go straight back, and I mean STRAIGHT, while the auto-pilot is cranking your steering wheel back/forth, and trailer goes straight as an arrow for 250 feet, misses the original spot within about a foot of where you started (after 250 feet) is pretty darn right amazing.
So I just wanted to know if I could get it even more accurate, and mount the checkered-sticker in a more accurate position. That's all.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don’t use mine much but when I have played with it I have found that centered is probably best. I stickered my trailers according to the instructions and that placed the stickers on the left arm of the tongue. The issue this creates is most noticeable when I am putting my boat in the water. The backup system pushes the trailer slightly to the left. Now at 66 years old I have backed up a ton of trailers and I do not like Ford’s programming. It is too touchy and when you have worked off the “move the bottom of the wheel” as long as I have, why bother. Why do I have it on my truck? I looked for this fully loaded RCSB XL 5.0 for a year and finally found it, 10 back of Maroney, and the ProAssist was part of the towing package. If you are planning on using the system all the time I would recommend adding a plate to the tongues on your trailers that will allow you to center the sticker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pro Trailer Backup Assist - sticker location preference?