2015 - 2020 F-150

2016 5.0/6R80 with Roush supercharger reliability ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 5.0/6R80 with Roush supercharger reliability ?'s

I'll start with I'm not much of a Ford guy, so I am not up on all the new ford stuff. That being said, my wife loves the Ford's, so we have had at least 1 ford in the garage for the last 12 years. We recently picked up a 2016 Roush F150 Non SC, had only about 5200 miles with lots of extras, and was a decent deal. However it is not supercharged, the wife doesn't really care, but i keep poking at her and eventually we will supercharge it. I am looking at the Roush 600hp kit from Roush and would use their tuning via having the local dealer tune it with the voucher from Roush, or send them the PCM. Currently the truck has their stage 2 power pack which is the intake, exhaust and tune, Roush claims about 425hp at the crank.

I was hoping there were some other Roush owners that have the supercharger, in the 2015-2017 range, how many miles? any issues? It seems the just keep beating on these 5.0's and they take it, and the 6R80 has a torque input rating of 580 ft'lbs, which the 600hp 5.0 makes 557ft'lbs.

I would imagine they are very reliable, as Roush sells a ton of them, I am more worried about the transmission, it currently shifts very firm, especially in "Sport" mode, I'm guessing they work some magic with the tuning on the trans as well. It's the wife's grocery getter, would like to just make it more fun(and IMO a Real Roush truck) I didn't even know they made them non supercharged till we found this one.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-09-2019, 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
The more firm the shifts are, the better. You don't want slippage. Any slippage generates heat.

Remember, the only time the transmission will see the HP is when you apply it.

Normal driving usually doesn't entail WOT consistently. Well you can, but I'm sure the local PD will put a stop to it.

Heck, you can even throttle limit in a tune, so even if you mash the pedal, it won't let you go too far.

Gotta love electronics..............

Old 07-09-2019, 06:41 PM
yes, i figured roush tunes the transmisison as well as the motor to help hold the power and match it to the new tune. I like the transmission and the way it shifts.

I guess my question is, and I hate asking, but whats the HP limit on the 5.0 and the 6R80 in the F150? Im not looking to pop a motor at 30k miles, just want to have some fun with it, with out grenading the motor

Old 07-09-2019, 06:42 PM
double

Old 09-22-2019, 10:10 PM
after more research, looks like alot of these places just tune the trans for the added power. However, the only thing in question is the oil pump gears breaking due to high rpm, or at least that's what the internet says

Quick Reply: 2016 5.0/6R80 with Roush supercharger reliability ?'s