2015 - 2020 F-150

Towing status screen keeps coming on, 3rd gear hesitation

Old 05-01-2019, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing status screen keeps coming on, 3rd gear hesitation

For awhile now whenever I start my 2018 the instrument screen pops up with the towing status display even though I'm not hook up to my trailer. I switch it back to fuel screen, turn truck off and start it back and its towing screen again. It even still tracking the towing mileage. I dont know if its related but I also notice while towing trailer in tow mode that the engine breaking wont activate and it's hard to stop even though I'm only towing 3000lbs.
Bought truck in October and has 8000 miles on it.
Also notice the annoying 3rd gear bog. It like bog down and doesn't accelerate for a second in 3rd gear with light pedal pressure. Maybe it's a placebo effect as I'm getting use to the EcoBoost power and dont mash the pedal anymore but the 3rd gear bog doesn't seem right regardless.
Any ideas?

Old 05-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground or wiring/connector corrosion.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have the 10 speed trans, the 3d gear bog is not unusual. Ford has a TSB to reflash the computer. Mine started bogging at 8500 miles and has been back twice. It was a little better after the first time, but then it bogged hard enough to activate the seat belt retractor. After taking the truck back the second time, the dealer gave me a bunch of BS about that's just how these transmissions behave. My dealer is getting one more chance to fix the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing status screen keeps coming on, 3rd gear hesitation